Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Most retarded install in a Scion

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Chris, That is a crazy note to hit that High. Some people just dont understand what the Frequency of 17hz is. In my Xb I hit 142 with two 12s at 54hz, not bad for a then, SQ system.

Is it just me or do those 2 amp for different companies almost look the same.

Jason
Old 04-25-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think 142dB out of an inaudible note is amazing!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I hope you didn't wake the Dinosaurs.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandos
Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
it's not permanent......he only did this to see what it could do.....it's not his.....just for experimentation....
Have I mentioned I like you?
thanks man.....dos......hahaha....sorry...that wasn't very punny.....

for real tho'.....alot of people just don't get the picture......almost all heavy rap bass is only gonna hit hard down to about 28-32 Hz....and that's stomach boiling low bass..... 17Hz is something (un)heard as wind causing pressure.....(hypothetically speaking).....
Old 04-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

it's not permanent......he only did this to see what it could do.....it's not his.....just for experimentation....
Have I mentioned I like you?
thanks man.....dos......hahaha....sorry...that wasn't very punny.....

for real tho'.....alot of people just don't get the picture......almost all heavy rap bass is only gonna hit hard down to about 28-32 Hz....and that's stomach boiling low bass..... 17Hz is something (un)heard as wind causing pressure.....(hypothetically speaking).....
Well, realistically speaking...you're right on ;) It was just nothing I heard(well, ok...I could hear the scion resonating ;)) just a horrible amount of pressure....then I sat in a truck that had 8 8's and hit a 141 at 35 or so...that hurt my ears....17...just a massage and breathing difficulty ;)
Old 04-25-2005, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for those of you that don't know, a dB rating really isn't the amout of loudness there is in a system.....it's the pressure that the movement of the subs is producing....once again(hypothetically speaking) you could achieve the same thing by having a dB mic in your car, and having a large air compressor blowing alot of air into the SEALED cabin of your car via a sealed hole for the hose.....it would increase the pressure in the car even though you wouldn't hear anything.....

edit: that's why SPL is Sound Pressure Level

edit again: I was wrong about the air compressor/hose thingy....it has to be nonlinear pressure to be measured in dB....

and edit again: I may simply be retarded and way off track with this.....help me if I am...
Old 04-25-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That is insane.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmm.. isnt it somewhere in the single digit hz range where ya could mess up the heart by prolonged exposure??? messes with the rythem or somthin like that...
then again.. ELF (extremely low freqs) is used by elephants to communicate over long distances... miles and miles... plus i believe some military equip use it to xmit thru water
Old 04-25-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^ boy was that just a bunch of random probably useless knowledge that spewed from my head or what??? crap im bored
Old 04-25-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I rather have a banging system then all that rice-___ Neons.. and l'il knick knacks most Scion owners put to "CUSTOMIZE" their Scions.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-28-2020 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 04-25-2005, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahajoey
i rather have a banging system then all that rice-___ neons.. and lil knick knacks most scion owners put to "CUSTOMIZE" their scions..
What brought that on?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by kkawana
hmm.. isnt it somewhere in the single digit hz range where ya could mess up the heart by prolonged exposure??? messes with the rythem or somthin like that...
then again.. ELF (extremely low freqs) is used by elephants to communicate over long distances... miles and miles... plus i believe some military equip use it to xmit thru water
Actually I believe it's around 500 HZ at about 150 dB or more that'll get your heart to skip a beat.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wuts funny is that a 10 foot box is ridiculously big for an 18"er doesnt need even half to work properly wow who came up with that one hahaha
Old 04-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by sensay
wuts funny is that a 10 foot box is ridiculously big for an 18"er doesnt need even half to work properly wow who came up with that one hahaha
That's actually wrong.

As I'd mentioned, it was originally designed to be used IB=Infinite Baffle. To simulate the fact that it isn't in a box, 10 cubes is required. The sub was designed to go in a baffle in a town car.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey guys. I'll try and keep this brief.

Some random information on the equipment used. What you have here is a completely impracticable and completely "stupid" investment. However it's fun to play with.

The IB 18" driver is basically a very large underhung driver with a great amount of displacement with pretty good efficiency. It's also throwing around a lot of weight. Close to a lb of mass actually on that driver.
What you end up with is something that useless for upper end extension but creates a gut wrenching low end. Engineering is all about compromises and all that was done here is the design went completely one way.

Crossed over sub the 50Hz region when coupled with some very capable midrange drivers it's a phenomenal solution. Or in this case the car it was designed for ran a 3 way with 8" drivers in the door running open on the bottom end. It was built for uniqueness level.

Realistically it just seems that when Chris put it in in this box every once in a while you'll just find that sweat spot and apparently the meter did. The meter is a extremely tough meter
but I do wonder why or what made it read so high. The individual working the mic isn't new to it, and was jumping up and down like a little kid pointing at the computer. Lot of fun.

In any case. Big speaker, lots of extremely low frequency extension. But nothing practical. Just what happens when you take 40 guys with a bunch of speakers sitting around and bring them together for a afternoon. Stuff ends up in cars, blown up, and really just everyone has a good time.

As chris mentioned the box is so horrible large due to the fact that the suspension and driver as a hole was built for a IB installation which essentially mimics a extremely large sealed box. I believe the end user purchased it just for mere 'wow' factor and that there is only one in the world. They wanted something unique.

I wouldn't recommend this installation or driver for everyday use in a Scion But this is also Chris... who has no problem i guess driving around with no interior.... again..... ;)

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-28-2020 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 04-26-2005, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually I believe it's around 500 HZ at about 150 dB or more that'll get your heart to skip a beat.
I don't know for sure....but what I've always HEARD, is anything over 157dB no matter what frequency is CAPABLE of palpultation...not that it will happen every time....but it's possible......

there IS also a frequency at a certain dB that will make you $hit yourself.....
Old 04-26-2005, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Some super low frequency( i forget what one ) can have horrible effects for your reproductive organs.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know for sure....but what I've always HEARD, is anything over 157dB no matter what frequency is CAPABLE of palpultation...not that it will happen every time....but it's possible......

there IS also a frequency at a certain dB that will make you $hit yourself.....
Actually they disproved the "brown note" on Mythbusters. The guy put on a diaper and some heavy headphones, stood in between some serious wooferage and was bombarded by some heavy low frequencies for 30 secs durations. He said it took his breath away but never felt like unleashing in his pants. Pretty interesting episode. BUSTED.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they only tested up to 153dB.... and on top of that, it was out in an open area(a parking lot)......they needed to put all those sub stacks into a solid room....that would have increased the pressure level....I'm not saying that the brown note is 100% true.....but I didn't think their testing methods were very accurate for this.......I'm sure plenty of people on here have sat in cars hitting 153+ dB.....probably not at that low of a frequency....but it doesn't matter anyway...no big deal
Old 04-27-2005, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

...Theres also a note for females ... -=D

140+ db @ 17 hertz is very impressive!

guys think of it like this... if you are parked two cars ahead of his car, you will have rattling problems like a car with a system... that and second maybe even third floor buildings will start shaking -=D

Quick Reply: Most retarded install in a Scion