Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Need a DIY for installing sub/amp

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need a DIY for installing sub/amp

Ok please dont flame on me because i have searched for this thread, however i couldn't find any good ones. I have a Alpine subwoofer and a viper amp. I need some help on installing it, thanks
Old 09-30-2009, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EAsy as cake.
Do u have a after market radio?
If u do then it's easier than cake.
U find the blue wire in the back of the radio which is the constant when the radio is on, tap it and run it to your amp.
After that connect the RCA to the back of the deck then run those to the amp.
Then u just need a power wire from the battery to the amp and a ground wire which connects from any bare metal on the car chasis n run it to the amp.
Last is the sub u just wire the positive and negative to the amp +/- connectios. And bam u have bass!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mount your amp somewhere, dont attach it to the box for Gods sake. I assume you have a wiring kit already.
  • Power runs from the battery, through the firewall and to the amp. If you look under the steering wheel, youll see a rubber boot, you can run the wires through there instead of having to drill through the firewall itself.
  • Ground wire from the amp goes to the body of the car. Make sure this connection is as short as possible, and that the ground is touching bare metal. Other wise you wont get a good ground.
  • Remote wire runs from the headunit to the amp, this signals the amp when to turn on and off.
  • RCAs run from the headunit to the amp also. This carries the music signal to the amp.
  • Last but not least the speaker wires from the amp to the sub box.
I like to run the wires from the front and work my way back. That way when it comes to hooking all the wires up to the amp, you can adjust how much extra wire to cut off.

Probably wondering where and how youre going to hide and run the wires themselves huh?
  • If you look under the dash on the drivers side, youll see a plastic panel on the left side, near the dead pedal. Remove it.
  • Now when you open your door, youll see another plastic panel running alongside the length of the door. Remove that as well. Under that panel, youll see a bundle of wires, thats where you will be running them.
  • Run the wires under the plastic panels, and replace.
  • To get the wires the rest of the way back, tuck em under the carpet and back seat so on and so forth. Its pretty self explanatory.
One VERY important piece. MAKE SURE YOUR RCA CABLES ARE SHIELDED. If not, you will have to run them on the opposite side of the car away from the power cable. Otherwise they will pick up feedback from the alternator and youll have a whining noise coming from your speakers when you are driving.

Thats pretty much it, any questions pm me
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

even if your rca cables are sheiled you still want to run the on the other side.