Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

picture request: JVC KW-AVX800 in dash DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default picture request: JVC KW-AVX800 in dash DVD

hello. does anyone here have the JVC KW-AVX800 installed in their tc? i'm considering purchasing this headunit, and i'd like to see pictures of it installed in a tc first.

in particular, i'm looking for...

1. general pictures of the fit.
2. as many pictures of the menu screens as possible. specifically the ipod screens. is navigating through your ipod easy with this unit?

please please please post as many pics as you can if you have this unit.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:35 PM

Here is a post from another thread that I think fulfills your request:

I just purchased the JVC AVX800 and am very pleased. I had been told by one well-known website that this would not fit in my dash, but it fit snug as a glove. I also added the bluetooth adapter (one of my personal requirements) and it works excellent! One of the reasons I purchased this combination is because the bluetooth will do both phone AND stream audio from your device - plus the AVX800 can control your audio device as well (previous/next track, volume, etc) .

I picked it up on ebay for about $530 (plus bluetooth for another $100). I installed it myself - 1st time installation - and it was easier than I thought it would be. I checked today and someone has a new one on ebay for $515!!! A great price for a unit that has so many features.

The unit does have a USB port that I have used with my jumpdrive, and it can play off an SD card.

I have watched a few movie clips on it, and the screen is really great for the price(though I anticipate for a thousand dollars more you could get one even better).

Here are a few screen shots I took for reference. Please note, the screen is MUCH better than shown here - the poor quality is a result of taking pictures with my cell-phone camera and then compression.

Showing SD Card Slot and DVD/CD input slot.

(note, this is the alternative time display. Normally the time would show up in the lower left-hand corner of the screen in a small sized font. (see 2nd image) I use the large display because my cell holder partially blocks the fiew of the time of the alternative. )

Movie viewing - the time display here usually would not be here. This is showing because of the time settings I have chosen

Touch the screen and the DVD controlls are shown. Note: you do NOT have to show these controlls to use them - you can touch on the screen where the controlls WOULD be and it will perform the action.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions or would like any other pictures...

Added image on how music is managed. Everything is managed by folders. The left side scrolls the folder and the right side scrolls the files in the folder. It is really easy to use. I've been quite pleased.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet. thanks.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rockwire, do you know if the JVC actually has a hard limit of 10GB? The reason I'm asking is that someone on Crutchfield who reviewed it in a tC says they hooked it up to a 160 GB HD. The 10GB limit really has me on the sidelines, I want to hookup a large self powered external HD.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm very interested in this unit as well. does anyone know:

if you get the ipod interface, would it be easy to run the cable into the center console?? (which is where my ipod lives now)

if anyone knows i'd really appreciate it.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shouldnt be to hard just trace where the factory ipod cable is ran and run your new cable along the same path. My ipod is in the glove box
Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Wallpaper & Sat Radio

Rock...
Can you load wallpapers onto it or can you only choose from the pre installed wallpapers.

Also, do u have Sirius btw because I'm interested in the Sirius interface on the JVC

Thanks man
Old 06-13-2007, 05:03 AM

Hey guys. It was me that left a review on crutchfeld. I converted my 160GB hard drive from ntfs to fat32 using partition magic. fat32 has a 32GB limit but my computer and the headunit recognizes the whole 160GB just fine. i have tons of videos in it. it must be more than 80GB worth of video. the only problem im having is that if i put mp3s in it, it won't recognize the songs at all, just the videos or it won't recognize the the videos, just the mp3s. so im just using a 4GB sandisk card for music and the hard drive just for videos. tkbrowns, i cant load wallpapers in it, but there are 4 of them preloaded and u can change the color to it. i have sirius radio in it but i dont really like the sound. it sounds like AM radio. FM radio sounds better than sirius, i dont know why. For ipod, its ok i guess but i dont really use it. i tried video ipod on it but it doesnt support videos. your gonna need a separate cable that uses rca to the rca input of the JVC.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 AM

keith,
thanks for the reply.

can u pls post a picture of what the Sirius screen looks like on the JVC b/c I'm trying to decide btw the JVC and the Clarion and the Clarion Sirius Interface looks like garbage. thanks dude.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

very cool... thanks for the pics!
as a mac head, i keep all of my tunes on several ipods (don't ask).
i'm just wondering if you think the deck handles the ipod integration reasonably, or if it lacks.
also, did you get the steering wheel control adapter, and does it seem to work ok?
i love the features/price of this deck, but if the ipod control seems weak, i'll probably bite the bullet and get a D3.

thanks again.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:13 AM

I guess it handles the ipod ok, but i dont really use my ipod. For steering wheel adaptor, i didnt buy that. the unit does not list the songs in the ipod for finding a particular song, so what i did was make a playlist. everything else handles like an ipod. you press the up arrow to bring the menu, right or left arrow to move thru the menu, and down arrow to enter.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:27 PM

I am thinking of getting this system myself i just have one question, does the monitor slides inside the system for security purpose?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:13 PM

no, it does not slide in. i just close the dash door to hide it. the door does not fully close coz i didnt drill the dimples on the tc's original headunit bracket to move the unit in further.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:00 PM

How do you hook up a hard drive to it? I mean i know there is external one you can get but how do you power it?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 PM

u buy a hard drive that's usb powered
Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 PM

yeah i just found out, thanx anyway, by the way i am getting this system from Curcuit City for $549 and i am very surprised they sell it so cheap, wonder why.