Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pioneer Z-series installs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Pioneer Z-series installs

Hey SL,
I'm interested in seeing if any tC owners have a Z-1, Z-2, or the all new Z-3 (yes, it's true).

Please post pics and comments about your installs, what accessories you're using (Bluetooth, iPod, Camera, etc.) Installers are welcome to comment too about installs on other cars..

*NOTE: Thread Jacking and "Use SEARCH" Comments= *

Thanks for the help!!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well... all these units are extraordinarily nice pieces... just the only disadvantage to them... to bypass any so that you have full use of the navi/DVD you need to hack it with software and risk ruining the unit... i have put in a few Z2's... install is pretty straightforward especially in a tc.... dont have one cause to me its not an audio unit... its more functionality... the ipod is nice on it.. the bluetooth... the navi for sure is REALLY nice...

just highlighting how i feel on the unit as a shop owner/ installer
Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was concerned about the audio output on the Z-2, but I have a Sony Explod GT710, and it's pretty good for the money I spent...do you think the Z-2 is an audio downgrade?!

I already have components and coaxials in my tC, so I hope that helps?!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I have a Z1 in my tC and have had it for almost 2 years now. It is an awesome unit and I love it. The EQ is super easy to use and I love the sound stage settings for the audio.

I am using the ipod, bluetooth, and xm accessories and love them all. I rarely use the bluetooth because I am too lazy to sync my phone to it. xm rocks but i mounted my antenna on my dash and it cuts out under bridges. No biggie.

Nav on it is awesome but it needs to be updated as I live in Arizona and theres a new freeway thats open and my nav thought I was off roading when I took the freeway. haha

I installed it myself and it was a pretty esay install I would say. I worked at circuit city doing car audio.

My unit is bypassed by simply moving 1 wire and grounding it. It is awesome! I've read how to bypass the Z2 but it sounds like a PITA compared to my Z1.

One of my favorite features is the G-Timer and the speedometer that is has! I love those gauges.

In my opinion... Its the best Double Din in Dash nav unit out there which is why I bought it.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Nice....where is your GPS Antenna located?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

On the dash as well. I put my gps and xm antenna on the dash on the passenger side. The gps never looses signal there. Only the xm occasionally.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^cool....
Does anyone have pics of Z-2?! I've heard the hack is a PITA also but that's if you don't know what you're doing...once you get it to work, it's a piece of cake to operate!

POST PICS PLEASE!!
Old 04-16-2008, 05:34 PM
SL Member

I'm really interested too. I'm kinda scared to install it myself though because of all the extra wire i'll have to run and stuff. It seems like a pain to find all the vss wires and stuff. If you want pictures you can see some at avic411.com http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.p...ighlight=scion

For those that have installed these is it really that hard or should i have someone that knows what they are doing install it? And another thing how do you recess it. I think i read somewhere that you just drill holes in the stock mounting brackets. Is that true?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Z1 in mine. Just a simple mod to the stock bracket, and the door will close fine.

As for the bypass, simple grounding of two wires. No software bypass or anything needed.

If you've never installed a radio before, take it to someone who knows what they are doing. However, if you've put a radio in before, this one is no different, just a few more wires.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
SL Member

the z2 needs a software bypass plus the 2wire. what two wires is it anyway. I know the parking brake wire but whats the other one? I've looked all over here and on avic411 and can't find it.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elpolloblanco009
the z2 needs a software bypass plus the 2wire. what two wires is it anyway. I know the parking brake wire but whats the other one? I've looked all over here and on avic411 and can't find it.
You have to move a wire onto one of the 'blanks' on the Connetor #2 cable wire harness...and then ground the light green parking brake wire:

http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html#newbypass

I hope that makes sense, lol...I read that thing like 30 times until it made sense...
Old 04-16-2008, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same as the Z1. And you only need the software update if you have one of the earlier models. The new ones coming out already have the software update.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by theunclesam
Same as the Z1. And you only need the software update if you have one of the earlier models. The new ones coming out already have the software update.
So you're saying that if I have a NEWER Z-2 model, I may not need the ISO update? Just the 2-wire bypass?

Please help, mine should arrive today....
Old 04-17-2008, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by karatekidd
I was concerned about the audio output on the Z-2, but I have a Sony Explod GT710, and it's pretty good for the money I spent...do you think the Z-2 is an audio downgrade?!

are you seriously thinking that a z2 will be a downgrade from a POS sony headunit?! dude you're crazy
Old 04-17-2008, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster

are you seriously thinking that a z2 will be a downgrade from a POS sony headunit?! dude you're crazy

...NO, I was kidding about the Sony HU...I got what I paid for with that bad boy...

I know the Pioneer will be MUCH better!!

Anyone have pics of their Rear View Camera locations? I can't seem to decide...it's like the size of a web cam...I would prefer to install it INSIDE the car...to deter theft!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:05 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by theunclesam
So you're saying that if I have a NEWER Z-2 model, I may not need the ISO update? Just the 2-wire bypass?

Please help, mine should arrive today....

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8783 that should be everything you need to know on the z2 bypass. it's all on this one thread somewhere just read it. Now all i have to do is find those pesky extra wires this thing requires to be hooked up.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:12 PM
SL Member

try this link also
http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html
Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I have a grasp on the WHOLE THING:

By-passing the Z-2 (short-handed version)

Wire #1: Light Green Parking Brake wire must be grounded

Wire #2: Take the MUTE wire from Connector Cable #1 and move it to a 'blank' opening on Connector Cable #2 (the farthest hole on the bottom-right corner seems to work best)

ISO File Update:
Only use this ISO update if you have a 2007 version of the Z-2 software or earlier...otherwise it's pointless if you have 2008!

Someone who has done this....please correct me if I'm wrong!

I would still like to see pics please...humor me! Thanks!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The wiring part is correct. It's the same for the Z1 and Z2.

As for the ISO, the guys at avic411 are the best source of knowledge regarding these units. So I would assume they are correct.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Z-2 installed+by-pass!!! I didn't need the ISO update...yet, lol

Voice Command works ok...Bluetooth is nice...back-up camera is going in later...

I want more feedback though...Avic411 is cool and informative, but not too many folks have Scions...may 3 or 4 whom I've contacted....

Keep the comments coming, I'm interested...

Quick Reply: Pioneer Z-series installs