Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Please Help, Component install.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:35 AM
SL Member

Default Please Help, Component install.

Ok, this might be the stupidest question ever but please help, I've been working on this install for 12 hrs+ now and its 10:32pm now and I might not be thinking straight. Please don't hurt me. My question is, does the remote wire on the RCA's need to be plugged in for the amp to power up? And if so, where do I put the remote wire on my head unit? I already have a remote wire hooked up to the connector that came with the HU so I don't know where another one would be able to go, any ideas?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Umm their is no remote wire connected to your RCAs, in fact, there is nothing connected to them. They plug into your amp and headunit, thats it. The remote wire can be connected to any 12v power supply. What I would do is use a test light to find a wire connected to your headunit that gives power, turn you key to the off position and the test light should show no power, turn you key to acc or on and it should show power. This way your amp will turn off with your car and stereo.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:53 AM
SL Member

Well, my RCA's have a remote wire attached to them :/ And when I unplug the REM wire from my sub amp it doesnt power on so I'm guessing this could be the problem. Unfortunately I was unsure about how to connect it to the HU, there is no unused wires left just a few empty square holes in the back of the plug with wires coming out.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

That wire with your RCA's shouldn't be used as a remote.. the last thing you want running right along your rca's is a wire that has power going trhough it...

http://askville.amazon.com/set-rca-j...uestId=5255452
Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea Xsniper, don't worry about what these people have said, it is in fact a remote turn on wire, 100% sure. And you should have a remote turn on lead on the back of your head unit's harness to splice into. The RCA cables are specifically shielded to retard any noise from power cables around them. And on top of that, the amount of power passed through the turn-on lead is SO low that you'll NEVER notice it.

I'm guessing you got your cables from KnuKonceptz? Just a guess lol
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by kidwolf908
Yea Xsniper, don't worry about what these people have said, it is in fact a remote turn on wire, 100% sure.
wow, really? Because I am MECP certified.... have fun getting rid of the engine noise!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:16 PM
SL Member

Knukonceptz website says it is a turn on lead. When I unplug it from my sub/amp setup it doesn't turn on. So yeah..
Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yeldak
That wire with your RCA's shouldn't be used as a remote.. the last thing you want running right along your rca's is a wire that has power going trhough it...

http://askville.amazon.com/set-rca-j...uestId=5255452
meh, if you have sheilded rca cable you're fine.

i'd check all your connections to make sure they are tight. don't ever use wire taps either, always ALWAYS solder when you can
Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
SL Member

Ok, I went ahead and connected the rem wire and switched the RCA's to the right position on the amp and I have power...to the amp. The speakers won't play at all. And when I press any sort of electronic thing like door lock, brake, etc I get a loud thud from them. I also get this from my sub now when I unconnected the new fronts/amp....I'm thinking about taking it to the car audio place and telling them to fix it at this point...
Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Yea Xsniper, don't worry about what these people have said, it is in fact a remote turn on wire, 100% sure.
wow, really? Because I am MECP certified.... have fun getting rid of the engine noise!
MECP!!! LOL was that suppose to mean a lot?

A nicely shielded RCA cable is good and as long as you have a good ground, you won't have any noise issues.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is the remote turn on wire hooked up to that is coming from the headunit? I'm going to go with kidwolf and say it's a built-in remote wire that came with the RCAs. It should be hooked up to the remote turn-on wire that's part of the HU harness. If there's a chance that it's not there then you can wire it to the ACC wire which I believe is the yellow wire and it will turn the power switch on in your amp when your car is in ACC or ON.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude
MECP!!! LOL was that suppose to mean a lot?
Some people swear by certifications but it's the real world applications where your knowledge shines.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have had all my wires ran down the same side of a car before with no problems.

I cant remember the exact amount of current running though the remote wire but it was somewhere in the milliamps.

Shouldnt hear any noise.

I like when companies hook the rca and remote toghter,it makes install a little easier
Old 02-04-2008, 07:14 PM
SL Member

Ok, I'm going to explain the install in detail to get to where I am now, powered amp but no sound.

First I used a 4ga. power wire and layed it down from + battery to +12v on the amp. This wire also has a 120A fuse on it about a foot away from the battery side. I grounded the amp with a 4ga. wire to the bolt in the little secret compartment in front of the taillights. I ran a shielded RCA from the HU to the amp. I then wired the remote wire from the remote wire on the HU, which is spliced with the rem wire of my sub/amp too, to the amp. So its a head unit remote wire with both the sub/fronts amps remote wire connected to it. I then ran 12ga. speaker wire from the amp to the Input for both crossovers. I ran a 16ga. speaker wire from the woofer to the woofer input for both crossovers. And I ran a 16ga. wire from the tweeters to the tweeter input for both crossovers. I didn't use solder for any of the connections I used spades and other such connectors.

When I start her up, I get no sound from my fronts and the green power led is lit on the amp. I also unplugged the factory speaker connections etc. but I don't think that matters since I'm using an amp and running new wire..
Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What speakers and amp are you using? What headunit?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea XSniper, you're fine for the most part. I avoid signal cables right next to my 4AWG power cables, but the RCA cable next to the turn on lead is not a problem. That's what it is MEANT to be used for. What else would it be? Ground the wire from the front to the back of the car? That makes ZERO sense. Use it as a turn on, you won't hear a damn bit of noise with it as opposed to without it.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

many experienced people have ran power and signal cable right next to each other with no bad results. don't worry about a turn on lead being next to signal wire.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 PM
SL Member

Phoenix Gold RSD65cs, JL Audio 300/2, Pioneer 4900iB.

Ok, I feel retarded now. JL is to blame with all the settings . I plugged the RCA's back into the other inputs, which it turns out are the correct ones after all, so now the power light doesnt turn on anymore.

I have a question though that could end this pretty quick if its possible. My speakers that I put in, if the wires from the back of the speakers touch my car's metal will that cause a short? Therefore, no sound? Just an idea I'm not totally sure this is the problem and I don't have the supplies to find out right now.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hope you are not talking about bare wire? all your speaker wire and other wires should be wrap in plastic, If any bare or nake wire exposing, wrap them in electical tape.

my turn on wire runs along my RCA wire without any problem.
So now your amp power light doesn't turn on? Check the setting on the amp and the fuse.
If your amp power light is on, check the speaker connection.
I connect all my wires by twisting them together and wrap by electical tape.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
SL Member

What are the chances this is a bad amp? I bought this thing from ebay and it was New in box. When I put the RCAs in the preamp section on the amp the power light comes on, when I move it to the amp input section the power light doesn't come on. When I jump a wire from the +12v to the REM section I measure 3V at the +12v section. What is going on here? I don't want to eat $260 and pay another $140 to figure out it was a bad amp and another $150 to buy a new amp...

Quick Reply: Please Help, Component install.