Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

probably a n00b sub/box question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default probably a n00b sub/box question

hey scionlife. right now, my setup is 2 12" sony xplods connected to a xplod amp, and i just got these because i wanted a little more bass and the whole combo costed under 200$ on a black friday. but, this thing weighs about as much as the whole car itself, and i want to cut down the weight somehow. and also, the dial on my amp is set to about 1/3 of the full power, and so i'm sure a single will do well enough for me. now, i'm a complete retard when it comes to electronics, and i was wondering if i could easily move one of my subs into a new box, and connect my current amp to that, to make it a new single 12" setup. this is my setup right now

and i'd like to move it into a box kind of like this.
http://www.docswarehousesales.com/Me...2SS&ShowShip=1
or, if any of you have any suggestions for a good enclosure. of course, i'll first see if the dimensions of my sub will fit the dimensions of the new box, but i was just wondering if this would an easy take out my subs and wires, and connect the wires to the new enclosure kind of simple job. thanks for the help!
Old 02-23-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default Re: probably a n00b sub/box question

You should hit just as hard with one. Being around the sound game for so long, I can tell that buying two subs, your pretty much throwing your $ away. One sounds just as good as two. Just dial inn your amp properly and you'll see
Old 02-23-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

should I comment.............nah.........
Old 02-23-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by chrisNOF
You should hit just as hard with one. Being around the sound game for so long, I can tell that buying two subs, your pretty much throwing your $ away. One sounds just as good as two. Just dial inn your amp properly and you'll see
Where did you come up with this???

Are you suggesting that one subwoofer will sound just as loud as two of the exact same type? It's NOT a matter of dialing in your amplifier. It's a matter of air displacement. One way is cone surface area. The other way is compliance. You would be surprised with how much more excursion one sub would have to do to keep up with two while maintaining the same output.

To the OP: Weight saving is a novel idea, but realistically, I don't see much difference. You definitely won't have the same output capability. Only you can decide if switching to one subwoofer will be "enough".
Old 02-23-2008, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

more cone area FTMFW!!!! or small enclosure and a ton of port area...!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:19 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

They need to make rocketgyrl a "car audio" moderator or something for this forum. There is a ton of bad info circulating when it comes to this topic.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhh i'm getting confused now.... so should i or should i not be doing this? beacause, there's weight saving, and also the fact that i dont listen to bass heavy music, to be more accurate, j-pop/rock. i just wanted something with a little more punch than stock. also, i want some of my trunk space back.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most single sub setups will have plenty of output for most people. a single ported ten has always been enough for me. if i turn the sub level up it can still over power the rest of the music. if you care about SQ then your subs shouldn't be playing 130+db's while your mids and highs are only playing at 100-105db's in the first place.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the sub needs a certain amount of box room so it won't sound distorted.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

space saving and nice sound....go and find an 8" TC Sounds TC1000 or a SS RLi8 sub and call it day.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by silverstreaktc
the sub needs a certain amount of box room so it won't sound distorted.
And your posts need some justification...

Define "certain amount" and "distorted". Your post has very little to do, if anything the OP is talking about...

If you place a subwoofer in a box that's too small, the low frequencies will be "choked", and you'll limit the output. This is essentially creating a passive/physical high pass filter. Distortion will come in if you try to electrically (boost) the low frequencies.

Hoffman's law states that you can only pick two of the three: lots of output, small enclosure volume, high efficiency. Most car audio subwoofers opt for the first two, and pay for it with low efficiency...
Old 02-23-2008, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so, if i were to still go along with this little project for me, i'd have to get a box that is more than half the volume of my current one... correct? because, honestly, this box has to be forced against the back seat if it's up, and it'll barely allow the hatch to close. so, i'll be happy, as long as it's smaller.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Aroddalobster
so, if i were to still go along with this little project for me, i'd have to get a box that is more than half the volume of my current one... correct? because, honestly, this box has to be forced against the back seat if it's up, and it'll barely allow the hatch to close. so, i'll be happy, as long as it's smaller.
overall enclosure size depends on a few things. most importantly the sub itself.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lil_will
They need to make rocketgyrl a "car audio" moderator or something for this forum. There is a ton of bad info circulating when it comes to this topic.
Great idea, totally agree! She's definitely a good contributor and the community should feel fortunate she's here sharing the knowledge. :D
Old 02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'd have to consider the power output of the amp at whatever ohms the single sub is.

The gain that you have set at 1/3 up is not exactly a power ****, where the higher it is the more power its giving out.
It's more like a volume ****, and it's there to help you adjust the signal coming from the headunit.

For the price of the box in that link you provided, you could just head down your local stereo shop and have them build you a box specifically designed to work with your subs.

10% equipment / 90% install
Great audio is worthless if not installed properly.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by rocketgyrl

Are you suggesting that one subwoofer will sound just as loud as two of the exact same type? It's NOT a matter of dialing in your amplifier. It's a matter of air displacement. One way is cone surface area. The other way is compliance. You would be surprised with how much more excursion one sub would have to do to keep up with two while maintaining the same output.

To the OP: Weight saving is a novel idea, but realistically, I don't see much difference. You definitely won't have the same output capability. Only you can decide if switching to one subwoofer will be "enough".
Experience youngsta. Thats where i came up with this
Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the enclosure is a divided sealed enclosure just disconnect one of the subs and see if only one sub is fine for you. Given that most Sony subs are either 4 ohm or DVC 4ohm you amp should be fine.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by rocketgyrl

Experience youngsta. Thats where i came up with this
NOOB
Disregard what chrisNOF said because he doesn't know anything about cone area.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NOOB disregarded
Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

LOL but back to the OP if 1 sub is enough for you then go that route. There is nothing wrong with 1 sub it can get loud but not as equally as loud as 2 sub in the same setup.

Quick Reply: probably a n00b sub/box question