Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Project ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Project ideas

As my sig states, I am always looking for good ideas for projects. So I thought I would post to see what types of electronics that people are wanting for thier rides. I do have a full time career, so I cant say how long the designs would take or how feasible they are until I look into them. But this would give me a great place to start on something in my off time. Anyway.. let me know!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

still need some guidance on taking apart and poliarity position of the leds on the HU....PLEASE!!! i have the leds just waiting....A nice DIY walkthrough and possible pics would be great, i am sure everyone would appreciate. Thanks
Jason
Old 09-08-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That is at the top of the list. Sorry for the delay.. I am ordering LEDs for a couple of center console and dash conversions so I will order them for the HU at the same time.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

LEDs in the vents that change color with the temp setting. A/C=blue, Neutral/outside air=white, Heat=red.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Max: very good idea as well! That would go along with a dash and center console mod (larger project) that I have started on....
Old 09-08-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
That is at the top of the list. Sorry for the delay.. I am ordering LEDs for a couple of center console and dash conversions so I will order them for the HU at the same time.

LOL....thanks man...i wasnt gonna bother you again but i saw this thread and figured i would....Oh and BTW that idea about the leds changing with the temp is a hot idea

Thanks again
~Jason
Old 09-09-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I do like the vent LED idea. I think the interface and controller will be easy to design, but I will have to see what kind of control signal I have to work with. Instead of changing , blue, orange, red I am thinking of fading from blue to red, so it will transition smoothly rather than in steps. I already have tested a controller for doing this using pairs of LEDs for a dash idea I have, so that part isnt too bad.

So I need to order parts for this as well as for the HU
Old 09-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I do like the vent LED idea. I think the interface and controller will be easy to design, but I will have to see what kind of control signal I have to work with. Instead of changing , blue, orange, red I am thinking of fading from blue to red, so it will transition smoothly rather than in steps. I already have tested a controller for doing this using pairs of LEDs for a dash idea I have, so that part isnt too bad.

So I need to order parts for this as well as for the HU
I like the fading idea. If you get a universal system, (i.e. one that doesn't have to go in a tC) let me know. I am curious about the fading of the LEDs. I imagine there would be a purple somewhere in there if you just went blue to red. If you fade the blue out before starting fading the red in, that may work. If you do that, how about fading in a white while fading out the blue, and vice versa for the red, so that a consistent level of illumination would always be coming from the vents.

Here's another one... varying the intensity/brightness with the fan speed.

I wish I paid attention in my circuits classes.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

all of that sounds feasible. I was thinking of fading through purple... I could also use the three colors as you mentioned, fading from blue, towards white, then towards red. Keeping the same overall intensity. The tricky part comes in when trying to change the intensity over all with the fan while also having the fading colors.. it takes a bit of testing to get it so that the fading works without dropping below the threshold voltage of the LEDs. But, I am already addressing that in a different design, so I hope to have that as well.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about an VU meter that will fit in place of the HVAC LCD display with a small mic to obtain the signal from the actual sound in your car....kinda like a low low low low....low low budget RTA . I broke my HVAC LCD so i was thinking of thinks to replace it....right now i have a skull and crossbones picture...
What do ya think?
The circuit could be housed externally ...
Old 09-09-2005, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about some of the cool gadgets that this legendary car had, of course, with some body modifications:

1. Automatic Pilot
2. Voice analyzer
3. Infrared Tracking Scope (Range: 10 miles)
4. Pyroclastic Lamination (Maintains cool body temperature in extreme heat)
5. Blood Analyzer
6. Microwave Jammer
7. Interior Oxygenator
8. X-Ray
9. Flame Thrower
10. Rocket Boosters
11. Smokescreen
12. Trajectory Guidance System (Launches KITT at any angle within 90 degree arc)
13. Oil Jets
14. Olfactory Detector
15. Spectrograph
Old 09-09-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ you forgot the bidet
Old 09-09-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about "curb rash" sensors, you know like little cat whiskers that would stick out 2" in front and behind all wheels to tell you when you're getting to close to a curb while parking. I'm afraid to get aftermarket rims because I've curbed 3 out of 4 wheels.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They actually make those. They are harder to find now than they were in the 70s when white walls were a big thing, but still out there. But I would like to do it electronically, that would be very nice
Old 09-09-2005, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmiller20874
I've curbed 3 out of 4 wheels
You suck at teh parking, lol j/k. I've done it 2-3 times within the first month of getting my tC but I've learned to give myself more slack when I make turns or park next to the curb. I wouldn't want to scratch $280 wheels either (Axis Hiros is my future upgrade))
Old 09-09-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ I have been proud that I dont curb them..... then during the winter I took it through the auto car wash... you know that metal rail that keeps you lined up? Uh huh... scuffed one rim Not terribly noticeable to others.. but it is to me!
Old 09-09-2005, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

:D This is the first car I've owned that has had such low profile tires. Not used to all the metal.

Yeah Engifineer, an electronic one with an LED display alerting which wheel you're close to curbing. It's a "must have" for anyone with aftermarket rims or anyone who'd just like to salvage the ones they already have.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

^^ I have been proud that I dont curb them..... then during the winter I took it through the auto car wash... you know that metal rail that keeps you lined up? Uh huh... scuffed one rim Not terribly noticeable to others.. but it is to me!
I went through a really tight bank parking lot.

Turned too soon...one of 'em has a nice chunk missing...and the tire has a little scuff
Old 09-16-2005, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what do you think the difficulty rating is for the project idea I contributed