Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Remote start on 5-speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

get the compustar alarm/remote start. that's what i had on my 5sp tc and what i'll have on my new one as well. it only lets u remote start the car when u've shut down in a certain order-foot on brake, put in neutral, and then pull up the parking brake. the car will still be running when u pull the key out, but when u shut the door, the car will stop. then u can safely remote start. great alarm, i added a bunch of extra things on it so it'd be even better, but the remote start was the absolute best thing. i don't wanna worry about shooting my car thru the back of my garage if i didn't keep the ebrake on or something stupid. the alarm is kinda expensive from a retail place-around $700 installed. i ended up getting it on ebay for around $275, and then had a compustar installed do the work for aboue $250. still had the warranty, but ended up saving almost $200.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here in Michigan remote starters are illegal on sticks. Nobody will install it legally because of the libality issues. Some times you can talk to the installer and have him do it under the table if you find one that needs money or is pretty cool about it though.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
^^^^ That's awesome ^^^^ That's why I don't have one... I trust myself... but all it takes is someone to play with my gear shift while it's parked and hold a button down on my remote and weeeeee...... jumping car!
weeeeeeee......... jumping car! LMAOOO!!!!!!

gotta love the jumping cars
Old 12-11-2005, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have done it but i also have a switch to turn off the RS feature. I always turn it off it someone else will be driving the car. If it ever gets warm out i am going to be making a switch that attaches to the stick and if its in gear it will not start. only if its in neutral.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

So the consensus here is that it can be done, but under the table. I'm not too worried about leaving it in gear...I never do, not even on an incline. About taking it to a dealer, all you have to do is give them the key without the remote..problem solved, right? No remote around, no remote start. For those with the 791XV, how much and where did you get it from? Anything else needed for install?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

beet-i'm telling u, the best thing to do is the compustar. totally legit install for manual trans, under warranty thru compustar, and the alarm in general is friggin awesome. i just ordered a new one compustar alarm/remote start that has a 1.25mile range for my new tc. my last tc had the compustar with .5mile range, and even that was great. the comustars 2wss-as can be bought for under $275 on ebay. just get it installed by a compustar dealer and the warranty is intact as well. u won't have to worry about shooting your car thru the garage or hitting someone if u leave it in gear by accident. here's the link to compustar's site:
http://compustar.com/security_with_remote_start.htm
Old 12-12-2005, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Cool, I'll look into it. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$280 installed is what i got the viper 791xv on my 5-speed.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellot00tr
beet-i'm telling u, the best thing to do is the compustar. totally legit install for manual trans, under warranty thru compustar, and the alarm in general is friggin awesome. i just ordered a new one compustar alarm/remote start that has a 1.25mile range for my new tc. my last tc had the compustar with .5mile range, and even that was great. the comustars 2wss-as can be bought for under $275 on ebay. just get it installed by a compustar dealer and the warranty is intact as well. u won't have to worry about shooting your car thru the garage or hitting someone if u leave it in gear by accident. here's the link to compustar's site:
http://compustar.com/security_with_remote_start.htm
Do you have any pictures with the remote? Compustar's remote looks really big...and the 2wss-as only comes with the one 2-way remote...I wish it came with the 1-way remote as well. You said you had the 2w900fm-as on your previous tc...how much did you get that for? Is it hard to find an authorized installer?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC875
$280 installed is what i got the viper 791xv on my 5-speed.
Where?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check around your local stereo shops. its $200 for the alarm itself and about $80 for installation

bestbuy employees get it for about $180 + tax
Old 12-16-2005, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

compustar's alarms all have the 2 way and 1 way remote. i've bought the 2wss-as and the 2wss-fm. they came with both remotes. i've seen the viper and the clifford remote start units, and the compustar remote is probably smaller than either one of them. i've never had them side by side, but i'm almost certain that it's smaller than the clifford. the clifford 2way remote is longer than the compustar. seriously, the compustar remote start/alarm units are amazing. i would never buy a diff thing for any car i ever own, now that i've tried them. the range for the 2wss-as is 1.25 miles, and the 2wfm is still a half a mile. the only issue that i've had with the compustar unit is that it's not the simplest thing to add on other things to it. what i tried to do was upgrade some of the things like the shock sensor, tilt sensor, etc. don't get me wrong, the compustar sensors are fine, but i wanted to go all out. i bought all dei sensors, like a digital tilt sensor, the shock sensor, and proximity sensor. i also added a battery backup alarm system that works even with the battery pulled out and the wires cut. the place had to modify the harnesses on the dei sensors in order to connect them to the compustar, but even that wasn't very difficult. i think theycharged me $5 to make each harness. well worth it.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellot00tr
compustar's alarms all have the 2 way and 1 way remote. i've bought the 2wss-as and the 2wss-fm. they came with both remotes. i've seen the viper and the clifford remote start units, and the compustar remote is probably smaller than either one of them. i've never had them side by side, but i'm almost certain that it's smaller than the clifford. the clifford 2way remote is longer than the compustar. seriously, the compustar remote start/alarm units are amazing. i would never buy a diff thing for any car i ever own, now that i've tried them. the range for the 2wss-as is 1.25 miles, and the 2wfm is still a half a mile. the only issue that i've had with the compustar unit is that it's not the simplest thing to add on other things to it. what i tried to do was upgrade some of the things like the shock sensor, tilt sensor, etc. don't get me wrong, the compustar sensors are fine, but i wanted to go all out. i bought all dei sensors, like a digital tilt sensor, the shock sensor, and proximity sensor. i also added a battery backup alarm system that works even with the battery pulled out and the wires cut. the place had to modify the harnesses on the dei sensors in order to connect them to the compustar, but even that wasn't very difficult. i think theycharged me $5 to make each harness. well worth it.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad I started this thread before I spent some money! Anyways, you say that all of the Compustars have both 1 and 2 way remotes...on Compustar's website and on all of the pictures I've seen, the 2WSS-AS only has the 2 way remote. Yours came with both? Where can I get the best price on them?
Old 06-25-2006, 07:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called around to some different shops today and talked to them about the Compustar and the Viper alarm systems. They definitely recommended I go with the Viper system. He told me that he's installed the Compustar system, and although the range is better than the Viper, he did say he doesn't like the system. He said the relays are onboard, which apparently is a bad thing. He said he's seen too many problems with them failing, and the system doesn't last long. Can anyone verify this, or does this guy not know what he's talking about?

I'm getting a 5-speed tC and I definitely want the remote start, but I can't decide which of these two systems to get.

I was quoted around $250 to have either of these systems installed if I purchased it elsewhere and brought it in to have it installed. Is this a fair price or are they ripping me off?