Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

replacing front speakers? 9 speakers all around; help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default replacing front speakers? 9 speakers all around; help!

i just installed MB QUART RVF 216 component system on my rear speakers, used a tremel tool to add a tweeter near the rear window and it looks NICE! oooooo so alot more clarity with HIGH's and MID's but no bass ofcourse... but i need help on my frontspeakers, im not sure hows it hooked up to HU, anyone help?

i have some question about the stock front speakers...

do these components are being used through crossovers or the outputs from the HU???

with crossovers, dont they eliminate sub-bass off the mid-woofers? if so, its possible stock components are not using crossovers, so should i install the crossovers for my aftermarket component system (front speakers)? all speakers are gonna be amped....

with both component systems (MBQUARTS), i am gonna amplify these (80rms x4ch) speakers with a seperate amplifier using STOCK HU... what do you guys think? im pretty much pushing the most out of these speakers without the stock HU.

i am also gonna install an infinity basslink (powered sub)! any advice as far as installing? is ok it install with everything in it and stock HU???

can anyone give me any tips/guide for installing aftermarket front speakers and amplifier? and basslink combined with the everything else? how should i install it? recommendations? thanks!
Old 11-20-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i believe they are running out of the headunit. i dont remember seeeing a crossover, so its coming out of your HU.

YES you should use the included cross over for the MB quarts. DEFINATELY. amped or not.

with a 80 wattsrms rating. and the rms on the stock deck pushing only 20watts with a 50watts PEAK, i say definately get an amp to utilize the quality of those bad boys.

if you are going to install your basslink, your going to need the LOC, but yes it is ok, just splice the rear speakers from the harness behind the deck and run the RCAs to the bass link.

personally i think you should upgrade your headunit, it will make things far easier than using the stock deck. get a deck with RCAs out so that when you run it to your amp itll be A WHOLE LOT easier.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ADRdesignCo
personally i think you should upgrade your headunit, it will make things far easier than using the stock deck. get a deck with RCAs out so that when you run it to your amp itll be A WHOLE LOT easier.
I wouldn't even think of installing a system with the stock HU. An incredible hassle.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just had a second thought, i think im just gonna get a new Alpine HU, another MB system for the front, and possibly an AMP to run a sub and rears but i got a question about the amp..
is it possible to get a 4 channel amp and use 2ch's for the rears and bridge 2ch's for the subwoofer????

if so, whats the best 4ch. AMP i should get to pump up rear components and sub? my rears run 70-140watts (RVF-216 MB quarts)....
Old 12-17-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a question too.

Lets say I wanted to keep the stock headunit, and install new speakers.

Does it matter where I feed my amp from? ( i have 2 amps)

One amp is my sub amp, and im getting the audio from that from a loc on the driver side rear speaker.

How is left/right (stereo) audio handled in this case if I wanted to install new speakers on a 4 channell amp. Would I need to get a loc/subplug/audioplug at the headunit level? Or could I use the preamp output from my sub amp?
Old 12-17-2006, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
i just had a second thought, i think im just gonna get a new Alpine HU, another MB system for the front, and possibly an AMP to run a sub and rears but i got a question about the amp..
is it possible to get a 4 channel amp and use 2ch's for the rears and bridge 2ch's for the subwoofer????

if so, whats the best 4ch. AMP i should get to pump up rear components and sub? my rears run 70-140watts (RVF-216 MB quarts)....
im not too sure if you can bridge it to have it the way you want it too. but the JL Audio 300/4 has diffrent filtering options on both the front and the rear speakers. personally, id just get the 300/4 (450/4 if you really want power) and use an amp JUST for the front and rear speakers, and one seperate mono amp for the sub. imo itll be alot easier that way, and you will have individual control over your sub without having to tamper with your other speakers in your car (i.e. if you have a remote kill for your sub you can just kill the sub without worrying about killing off your rear spekers too).
Old 12-17-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Thermalzeal
I had a question too.

Lets say I wanted to keep the stock headunit, and install new speakers.

Does it matter where I feed my amp from? ( i have 2 amps)

One amp is my sub amp, and im getting the audio from that from a loc on the driver side rear speaker.

How is left/right (stereo) audio handled in this case if I wanted to install new speakers on a 4 channell amp. Would I need to get a loc/subplug/audioplug at the headunit level? Or could I use the preamp output from my sub amp?
if you are going to do this, you are going to need about 3 LOCs (front/ rear/ sub) total. the best and most effective way (at least imo) is to splice the LOCs at the rear or the HU (finding a wiring diagram helps alot if you are going to do this) and just run the RCAs to your amps, then from your amps to your speakers.

personally again, if you are going to do this your best bet would be to just get a new headunit. if you upgrade your speakers yeah they can get louder and everything, but to really tune your sound to make sound really really good, getting an after market deck with a decent EQ can help out your sound alot along with mucho flexibility imo.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, in any other car I would go for a new headunit...but Im just so darn attatched to my ipod hu and steering wheel controls that a replacement that would accomplish the same thing would cost me at least 350$. And for the cost...man, Id much rather spend it on a full suspension kit.