Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Satellite radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Satellite radio problems

I have had my '08 Scion TC for 9 months now and had XM radio factory installed. Just recently I have noticed the reception on my radio getting worse. I would get "loading" messages all the time even when it was clear out.

I finally brought it to the dealer and had them check the radio just today and they said the radio reception was fine?? Now I know I'm not going nuts considering I have the radio on all the time on my commute to work(40 minutes), and I definitely noticed a big difference in the reception. It has gotten so bad that I only use my Ipod on my commutes.

Is there anything else I can do besides canceling my XM subscription? Do most people get interruptions in their service?

Btw my antenna is mounted on the dash, passenger side.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The antennas on XM are a little location sensitive. You may want to move the antenna to a location outside the car. I have mine on the rear quarter-panel, by where the factory AM/FM antenna is located, and I generally have good reception.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Killface
The antennas on XM are a little location sensitive. You may want to move the antenna to a location outside the car. I have mine on the rear quarter-panel, by where the factory AM/FM antenna is located, and I generally have good reception.

Is it an easy process to move the antenna, or should I have one of the guys from the dealer move it? Reason being is that I assume I would need more line for it to reach the rear quarter panel.

Also forgive my ignorance, but did you just rest it on top of the rear panel? I know its a magnet, but wouldn't a strong jolt knock it loose?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kostnkost
Is it an easy process to move the antenna, or should I have one of the guys from the dealer move it? Reason being is that I assume I would need more line for it to reach the rear quarter panel.
It depends on how comfortable you are with disassembling your interior. If you can get to your radio and remove it, I'd say you can do it. If you have a friend that can help, it couldnt hurt.

Depending on your antenna, it probably has extra length already. Most XM antennas have a 20 foot cable attatched, and any aftermarket antenna (with said cable) would work. XM strongly recommends against cutting and splicing their antennas, so its probably coiled and tied up behind the dash.

Originally Posted by kostnkost
Also forgive my ignorance, but did you just rest it on top of the rear panel? I know its a magnet, but wouldn't a strong jolt knock it loose?
The magnet on mine is VERY strong. Any jolt that could move it while driving would probably dent the panel first. Besides, mine is behind the terrestrial radio antenna, giving it an extra measure of protection.

Finally, my XM was installed by Best-Buy, and the way it was installed is apparently the default way they do it.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:46 PM

Right now I am as far as getting it to the top of the side curtain airbag on the passenger side. It seems to be stuck, and I'm afraid if I jostle the airbag too much it might shoot out.

Then again I am probably paranoid as they probably do not employ while the car is shut off and parked.

OK now I am past the side curtain airbag, and just even with the glove compartment. I guess if I could remove the glove compartment I should be able to get most of the wire.

Question is how to remove the glove?

OK got the glove box off and the wire runs straight to the radio. My next step I guess would be to try and get behind the radio which should be fun. I will search the forum to try and find topics for getting behind the radio.

What should be even more fun is replacing all the parts I'm taking off, lol!!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 PM

Bingo! Got it!

Had to take apart the dash and sure enough it was wound up in black tape.