Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Semi-Howto: Eclipse AVN heads plus DLO Ipod Controls!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Semi-Howto: Eclipse AVN heads plus DLO Ipod Controls!

Update: Pics below.

Since moving up to an Eclipse 5435 head unit, I've pretty much lost any useful ipod integration. Integrating with Eclipse's own Ipod adapter is kinda hokey having to use the CD Changer controls and all...

But if you look at www.dlo.com and check out their "Home Dock Deluxe", you'll see they have a home solution that allows you to dock your ipod and navigate it on screen.

I grabbed one at a local shop today and cracked it open. The 3-pin infrared receiver on the unit SHOULD be easily relocateable somewhere inside the car....

The dock portion of it can probably be dremeled out somewhere out of sight in the car or otherwise mounted...

Then all you have to do is connect the L/R/V RCA cables to the Eclipse 5435 VTR inputs...

Voila - remote controlled Ipod controls with on-screen display and full Ipod Video and Audio compatibility...

The power supply is 10v 1.5A.... not sure if feeding 12v into the unit would be a big deal or not.... But so far, so good. It does a great job.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, I had to give it a shot.... so far so good.

Step one: Take apart the DLO unit... Pretty easy. 5 screws on the bottom.

Step two: Desolder the 3 pin infrared receiver. The Hakko 808 desoldering pump makes this job cake

Step 3: grab an old ethernet cable, snip off the ends, Feed one end into the DLO's remote sensor hole (keep the red infrared lens) and wire up 3 leads to the DLO's PCB and the 3 pin sensor to the other end of the cable. This will allow for flexible placement of the IR receiver.

Step 4: Plug everything in while inside, make sure the sensor still works destpite being hooked up to a cable that's 6 feet long. Jackpot. It works. The on-screen display for ipod navigation is kind of plain, but hey - it beats having to beak out your ipod to navigate songs in the car....

Step 5: Snip the cord from the wall wart plug and bring the whole mess into the car.

Step 6: Wire up the remaining power cable to the Cigarette lighter leads (striped wire from the DLO power cable goes to black, solid goes to white).

Step 7: see what happens when you apply 12v to a 10v input. Bingo. it works. Hopefully that extra 2v will be within limits. I'd hate to have to use an inverter for this project.

I'm now finding the perfect place for the IR receiver - i'm thinking the little pocket in the dash towards the back. Looks like a 3/8" hole will do the trick. I'm going to Epoxy the sensor in place while using the DLO's red IR sensor cover. Should make it look flush. But even if it's a little off, the sensor will be in a dark pocket no one will see.

Waiting for some epoxy to cure at the moment - more to come Eclipse owners will love this once it's done.

Also, the DLO unit fits PERFECTLY in the center armrest box
Old 05-20-2006, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

IR sensor placement done.... tested... working:

Old 05-20-2006, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

All done! Works GREAT! Here's a couple of pics of the Ipod in the center box and the on-screen menu. With a drill, some Epoxy and a little elbow grease, you can have a WAY better Ipod interface for your Eclipse HU

Old 05-20-2006, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

All closed up!
Old 12-12-2006, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just baught an AVN5500.. and $70 ipod interface, im going to return the ipod interface, garbage..

do you use the remote to control the ipod now?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

wow ice nine thats hella awesome! i was thinking about doing something similar to that...
Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is this still working? I just recently read this thread and noticed that there was an assumption being made that the operating voltage of the car is only 12v. In actuality, you can measure between 12.5 & 13v when the car is off. When it is on, it can go up to 15v.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:13 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

pics dont work