Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

sick of roof making crack(le)'ing noise!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are definitely some how-to's on doing this. I know it's not that hard but you have to be careful not to crease it. I don't know the thread though (there are pictures and everything) because there have been so many "how to stop the rattle" threads.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i was trying to find a good one but didnt have any luck - if anybody knows please feel free to post
Old 01-09-2006, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off let me just say that I agree with what brogdon420 said. We do face some annoying problems with this car but thats all they are, annoying. I work for infiniti and you would not believe the kind of crap that happens to those cars regularly, especially the beloved G35 coupe. I also am a valet so i pretty much have driven anything. The last bently GT i drove rattled a little in the back. Most of the benz's I drive have some kind of noise that I would not expect to hear from a 60k+ car. A car like our with inexpensive maintainence requirements is a gem and I think a few rattles from it could be delt with. just my 2 cents.

On another note I have driven a few Benz's with the glass roof similar to the tc and heard no creaking like in my car. Anybody know why this is. Upon inspection the designs were similar. The both have the flip up visor and the both have the bar seperating the front glass from the back glass. The E55 I drive made no creaking noise over a speed bump at an angle. Perhaps we should look into why this is because that may be where well find the solution to this problem
Old 01-10-2006, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

im going to take the back roof piece off and try to fix it myself. i know i would do a better job then the dealer. I just didnt really wanna mess w/ it because of the airbags
Old 01-11-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I must be lucky. I have no rattles or creeking. I have 13k miles and own a 05. I also have an after market stereo so I would think it would loosen things up with the bass but nope. I love the build quality!
Old 01-11-2006, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jiujitsuking
I must be lucky. I have no rattles or creeking. I have 13k miles and own a 05. I also have an after market stereo so I would think it would loosen things up with the bass but nope. I love the build quality!
i dont hear any rattling coming from the roof in my car either. i normally have my music off late at night when my friend is sleeping in the car and i still dont hear the roof making any noise
Old 01-11-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

you are lucky - the piece that is by the rear/center roof light ...that is the problem. the dealer isnt fixing it to fix it...they are fixing it the way toyota is saying to fix it.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've driven all types of cars cheap and expensive, and ALL of them have some sort of tick or rattle that eventually develop after some miles. My last car, a VW Passat had tons of rattles from new and it cost twice as much as the tC (and at least my tC never leaves me stranded on the road like the Passat did!).
I think some TC owners tend to be oversensitive because the rattles might reinforce the fact that the Scion is, if I may say, a cheap car (I'd rather say inexpensive.). You guys should hear how New VW Jetta owners are trying to keep a stiff upper lip with their own rattle problems, Which from what I hear is so much more worse than the tC's. Their common problem rattle with their doors have been described like the skin on their doors are falling off. But I think with the cost of the Jetta approaching 30K, the owners are actually trying much harder to sweat it out.
I think the cheapness of the tC is making it easier for frustrated rattling tC owners to just give up. They figure that the small resulting loss with the trade in is easier to bear than the rattles they hear...I guess....

Chombi
A very happy 05 FM tC owner!
Old 01-14-2006, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bet you have the 06 model. I haven't heard any complaint about rattles from 06 owners.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by aoshi12345
I bet you have the 06 model. I haven't heard any complaint about rattles from 06 owners.
Because I only have 800 miles on mine!

I hope I don't get this problem, but every car I've had has some rattles, so I won't be surprised at some point...
When you consider how a car is large and heavy and bouncing around all the time, it's not hard to see how things get out of alignment and move around.

Scott
Old 01-14-2006, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

dont worry slboettcher - you bought a good car for the $$ - i have a rattle which i will try fixing in a few months (myself) but other then that - good performance.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah, my hatch rattles rather than my roof. i'm taking the car in for the 1st time to toyota for some rattling maintanance....but i know what the outcome is gonna be. i just wanted to get some documentation that there was a prob before i install ANYTHING cuz the mechanic there told me that they won;t cover it if i got subs...exhaust...etc back there. they'll find a way to say that the rattling was caused by me. so just a word of caution to you other bass ppl out there.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member

I have an '06 tC and the hatch rattles on the highway when I hit bumps. I will probably mention it at my first dealer oil change (I'm just at 3k miles), but I doubt they can do anything about it, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to start tearing panels off. Guess I'll live with it and crank the iPod!

Eric
Old 01-20-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by theguru1974
I have an '06 tC and the hatch rattles on the highway when I hit bumps. I will probably mention it at my first dealer oil change (I'm just at 3k miles), but I doubt they can do anything about it, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to start tearing panels off. Guess I'll live with it and crank the iPod!

Eric
Excellent idea! iPod is the best anti-squeek remedy.
I don't trust these yahoos to take apart my car and make it BETTER.

Scott
Old 01-20-2006, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This won't fix the roof creaking but to fix the rattle in the middle section where the back dome light is all you have to do is pull the two plastic pins from the headliner and pull it down slightly. From there you can see the wiring coming from the light as it goes towards the drivers side. All I did was stuff foam underneath and on top of that wiring as well as between the wiring and the frame. I did this so that the area was pretty much full when I was done. One whole week later... no rattle. I still have the creaks but I'd take those over a rattle.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default popping noise

I've only had the popping noise happen on really cold days, 30 degrees or less. It use to happen when I took hard turns up driveways. Once it popped driving on the highway, I thought it was a rock at first. Do those that have really annoying noises live in cold weather zones? To be honest, yes the car will make that noise, but it has only happen 4-5 times in over 23,000 miles of driving my 05 Tc.

I feel bad for Tc owners that have rattles and constant popping noises from the roof, it seems to be an exception rather than the rule. Like someone said previously, if this is all we have to worry about, go have a cup of coffee and relax because this is nothing. It's not like Ford truck that just might burn down your house while sitting in your garage.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: popping noise

Originally Posted by Mcfly315
I've only had the popping noise happen on really cold days, 30 degrees or less. It use to happen when I took hard turns up driveways. Once it popped driving on the highway, I thought it was a rock at first. Do those that have really annoying noises live in cold weather zones? To be honest, yes the car will make that noise, but it has only happen 4-5 times in over 23,000 miles of driving my 05 Tc.

I feel bad for Tc owners that have rattles and constant popping noises from the roof, it seems to be an exception rather than the rule. Like someone said previously, if this is all we have to worry about, go have a cup of coffee and relax because this is nothing. It's not like Ford truck that just might burn down your house while sitting in your garage.
I got my new tC Oct. 1st and noticed no rattles. When the temp. dropped for winter - that did seem to coincide with the noises. Perhaps something is expanding and contracting somewhere.....this would seem to be a normal and unavoidable consequence. I'll wait for Spring before letting it really drive me nuts.

Eric
Old 01-23-2006, 04:47 AM
5 Year Member

I work for toyota and i know toyota cares about their reputation of making affordable and quality vehicles. They even read online forums to find out how their cars are doing in the real world. I think toyota may have its eyes on this site since it is "the" scion forum, and they will try to resolve this problem 'if they see this thread'
Old 01-23-2006, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: sick of roof making crack(le)'ing noise!

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
I love my car ....i think that for the price and quality of the tC ...i have a great car. I cant stand the crackle sound comming from my roof. I have brought my car into the dealership 4 times and they say they fixed the problem but it always comes back a few months later. Does anybody know the warranty on such an issue? I have a 100k warranty on the car but i would think that something like this wouldnt be covered for 100k miles. I was thinking about finding out how to take the roof panel off (when the warranty expires) and use a dynomat kind of substance to kill the sound. Does anybody think this would work? I only have 18k miles on my car but have had the sound for the past 8k miles. If anybody knows the answer to either (or both) questions please give feedback. This is one issue I need to do the right thing with because its really bothering me. Prob in feb I am going to take sections of the car apart and dynomat (something like that) the trunk, doors, and rear side panels where the speakers are. Should I just do the roof also or will this not fix the crackle sound? I know they already replaced the tracks and that was under warranty but I think the sound is now comming from the beam a few inches from the rear/top light.

Don't panic... scion even sent a corporate person out to fix mine,, fix only lasts a couple days.. HOWEVER... i fixed it my self. i will try to take some pics today and post them showing exactly where you have to put some goopy silicone lubricante. since i have done this.. not a sound from the roof... let the suspense start now....
Old 01-23-2006, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

My roof makes a whistling noise @ 45+mph...anyone else get that?

Quick Reply: sick of roof making crack(le)'ing noise!