Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stock audio system rewire

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member

Default Stock audio system rewire

I have a problem with the left side speakers in my car, front and rear. They do not work for some reason. I bought the car with this problem. I have taken the head unit out to ensure everything is hooked up right and it is. Taken the door panel off and the speaker is wired up. So I'm at a loss. And yes, I have checked the fade and balance on the head unit. I'm just going to rewire the whole system. Can i just cut the stock wiring harness, look up what color goes where, and then splice speaker wire to the stock wires straight to the speakers?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pbullis
I have a problem with the left side speakers in my car, front and rear. They do not work for some reason. I bought the car with this problem. I have taken the head unit out to ensure everything is hooked up right and it is. Taken the door panel off and the speaker is wired up. So I'm at a loss. And yes, I have checked the fade and balance on the head unit. I'm just going to rewire the whole system. Can i just cut the stock wiring harness, look up what color goes where, and then splice speaker wire to the stock wires straight to the speakers?
Did you check the speakers to see if they are blown? Before spending time running all new wires you could use a multimeter to check for continuity to verify the wiring is good. There is also a possibility that the speaker outputs for the left channels has gone bad in the radio. I doubt it is the actual wiring in the car unless it has been tampered with. Is it a factory or aftermarket radio?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member

It is the factory radio, but the car has been in a wreck before i bought it. And after taking the door panel off, i figured out that the original wiring coming through the dash to the door has been cut and spliced. All the wires have been cut and spliced. I'm not sure how to tell if the speakers are blown, but the front and back drivers side aren't working. The speakers look fine visually though.