Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stock tweeter Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stock tweeter Question

Recently ive noticed a cracking/ ticking sound when i have my system up loud it sounds like its coming from the tweeters. when i first turn it up loud it sounds fine for a few minutes, then it starts making the ticking sound kinda with the beat. It almost sound like static poping( like when ya pull your clothes out of the dryer and it goes snap, snap, crack)

Seriosly though ive never heard a blown tweeter before, but i think this is the problem.

My tc has 36K on it and ive had a $320 pioneer head unit in since about 5K.

Other audio mods are; gothic series power acustics 600 watt amp bridged, 800 watt kicker cvr 12 all with 4 gauge power wire and audiobahn rc wires. I also did the instll myself. This was done around 10K.

Whats you guys expirience with blown tweeters? Anything like this?

Thanks for your help,
Josh
Old 07-15-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Tweeters generally don't make ANY sound when they're blown (voice coil's "open"). You could verify this by pulling the door panel and using a Digital Multi Meter (DMM) on the tweeter's wires AFTER disconnecting it from the 6.5". I believe it will read something like 3.6 ohms (DC resistance) - as long as it's not anything in the 100's of ohms or higher, consider it good.

I feel the problem is more with the head unit - since you said when you have your system up loud. Heat does strange things, and I feel the internal amplifier is sending out DC pops (re: clipping) when the bass hits.

There's two fixes for this: Get a new H/U - or attach an external amplifier to the Scion unit. I suggest the former, because you'll get better performance out of it. The best bang for the buck I've found have been the Pioneer's - but find a unit that you like best...
Old 07-15-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info. Its probly my head unit, Ive never had problems with pioneer products either.

Ill try to test the tweeters first like you suggested hopefully thats it but i doubt it. For some reason its always the more exspensive problem to fix. ha. ha.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Tweeters for front door panels

if i wanted to add some 1" tweeters to my front door panels to go along with my 6.5" coaxial 2-way pioneer speakers whats a good choice to go with..i believe that adding the 1" dome tweaters will only improve the sound