Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Stuck Speedometer/ Missing Odometer number

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Stuck Speedometer/ Missing Odometer number

Alright, my main gripe is I have this missing number on my odometer. It reads 16,70X, the X is where the missing number is, the single digits. It still reads the rest of the mileage correctly, so I get to see my tC in 10 mile increments...

Anybody know a way to fix this?

Another thing is, my speedometer gets stuck sometimes, or is off by 5-20 mph. Whatś a good way to fix this? Most times it acts normal.

Any help is appreciated. Should I just consider getting a new guage cluster? Wonder how much that will cost? And if I get a new one, how do I read the correct mileage? Thanks again. Sucky guage cluster. :grr:
Old 05-28-2008, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you had a LED swap done at all. Wierd that a digit is missing. It should be under warranty. They will need to reprogram the cluster though since it holds your mileage. You can't just go buy one and plug it in.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uhm....your still under warranty, take it to your dealership, unless you did something like and LED swap.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sounds like someone took the cluster apart and did not... put it back together correctly.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

that's what my conclusion came to as well.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bingo
Old 05-30-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone know how much the dealer charges to transfer mileage?
Old 05-31-2008, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone ever had to get the mileage switch? :/ i broke off the part the needle sits on off the like circuit board thing
Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

fyi, the dealership CANNOT transfer or program anything for any cluster...

what the dealership needs to do is to special order a brand new cluster from the factory where they pre-program the new cluster to approx. the mileage you have at which then it'll also be on record that your odo might be off...

you broke something on the cluster? best to find that part and replace just that part.... replacing the cluster itself (esp. thru the dealership.... (at which you really don't wanna know how much it'll cost you...)) will be a painful process.

you have pictures of the damage? i might, or others here might be able to help you find it... is it the motor you broke?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So any help? Any real suggestion[s]?

Anybody have a real solution? I haven an 05 scion tC, bought in August 2004. That's almost 4 years old, the warranty has expired, yeah I got low miles, but that doesnt matter right?

Anyway, aside from jackass comments, anybody know a real solution to this? This all started when for no reason, my speedomter needle was stuck. So yes, I took the cluster apart, and moved the needle back and forth trying to see if that loosened it. Sadly, I think I just have a bad speedometer needle, but because of trying to fix it, my SINGLE digit odometer now is missing.

So, any real solutions? If you don't know, then move on por favor.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:21 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i already told you that the needle was probably messed up because of someone taking it apart and not putting it back together correctly.

and from that last statement, it looks like you're the one that messed it up. take off the needle and put it back on... and this time, don't push it on too much. as far as the odometer, check that all the pins are connecting properly.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so no real suggestions or solutions?

instead i get petty comments & garbage.

um dude, how do you explain the needle being stuck in the first place? Explain that one genius? this cluster was a bad one from the factory, cause i never once touched the cluster before it got stuck for no reason, and this was after the 36 month warranty expired, so i really had no choice. gotta love having to explain things to jackasses.. It was stuck and wouldnt move at all, and this is before anybody ever took it apart to try and fix it. i will concede to the fact that by taking it apart myself, in an attempt to fix the stuck needle, that the single digit odometer was missing. yea, nice forum, nice community, nice jackass comments. it really helped. garbage.

p.s. its ok not to know or have a solution, its when you share your ignorance that your real intelligence shines. im done with this forum, the car sucks. if you're happy with your car, im glad you do, and didnt have the same weak paint, & chips or squeeks, or a stuck speedometer. it's time for a new ride after I come back from my deployment.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:24 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

if you can read, i am suggesting that you try to fix the problem yourself using the aforementioned process. if you cannot understand that, then you sir, are the ignorant one.

deployment? heh. thanks for proving my point. if you're not happy with my suggestion, then good luck asking anyone else with the same question as you'll probably get the same answer regardless or what forum you go to.

you asked for suggestions. you got them. if you think my comments were in anyway offensive... you are truly fitting to your sn... apathetic indeed. i won't miss you.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

lol @ the OP. Buy a new one, fix it yourself as others have suggested or live with it broken. Those are your choices.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look on craigslist and get another cluster they have them at junkyards since its out of warranty anyways, i never knew the tc had so many snap on parts until i started pulling the cluster cover off to grab a coin that got stuck in it
Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ur SOL cause you opened it up an ultimately broke it. The dealer may or may not believe that it was messed up originally but their response will be," why didnt you just try to bring it in instead of trying to fix it yourself.? Buy a new cluster imo.