Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

tC Stock Stereo-Crossover & Front Component Wiring quest

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default tC Stock Stereo-Crossover & Front Component Wiring quest

**I have tried to find out the answer to this question so if is already out there sorry.**

Installing:
Kenwood DNX5120 Nav
2 X Rockford Fosgate Punch 60ix amps
.... and sub and amp.

The Kenwood has 2 Preouts. 1 is going to be split and then going to each punch 60. I am going to have 1 punch run the front and one run the back.
I am aware that I will only have left and right control through the HU. the 2nd Preout is going to go to amp and subs.

I have a 06 tC RS2.0 with the Premium Pioneer Stereo.

How is this stock system set up as it relates to crossovers and the front component speakers?

With this set up will I need crossovers for the punch 60 running the front components?

I am relatively unknowledgeable with car audio but I have done a lot of my own research and willing to learn. Could seem to find out the answer my self.

Thank you for any help with gather info to building this system.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-26-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Punch 60ix amps had built-in crossovers (filters). You'll want to set the amp running the front components to hi-pass mode, with the rear amp set the same, hi-pass. When you get an amp for the sub, make sure it has a built-in low-pass filter, and use it, so that you don't have an overlap between the components & sub.

The 60ix filters aren't like the crossovers on most other amps. You'll find a hole in the bottom of the amp, through which you can access the plug-in filter module. Insert it one way for high-pass, reverse for low-pass, and opposite for full-range (no filtering). There's a diagram on the amp that shows which way to insert the module, and the module's printed circuit board is also marked so you can easily determine the orientation required for the high-pass filtering you want. I believe the stock module frequency is 100Hz, which will be fine for your system, once you add a sub w/amp to reproduce the range below that. They're old now, but great amps, with more than enough power for your components.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thank you very very much. Complete answer and I completely got.

One other question:

There must be a wire that comes off of the back of the tweeter and then one that comes off of the 6.5 in the doors. How do I plug these into the amp?

Do they feed together into a single wire or box or something?

Thank you again. I didn't expect to have such a great answer. I have been holding on to these for years. Each time I have moved them to a new car I have been offer 100-200 each every time. ANd I bought these back in 96.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ddplion

One other question:

There must be a wire that comes off of the back of the tweeter and then one that comes off of the 6.5 in the doors. How do I plug these into the amp?

Do they feed together into a single wire or box or something?
Yes, they do "feed together into a single wire", so connection will be easy.

All you need to do is locate the stock speaker wires and splice your wiring from the amp into them. What I did was remove the kick panel covers and locate the stock speaker wires going into the doors, there's just one wire, positive and negative, as the mid & tweeter are wired in parallel with just a capacitor on the tweet for a 1st order filter, nothing for the mid. I simply cut the wire and spliced the speaker wiring from the amp into the stock speaker wire at the kick panel, feeding into the doors, so I didn't even have to remove the door panels. Since you're replacing the HU too, you could simply splice into the stock harness there instead, and you wouldn't even have to pop the kick panel covers.

They're great amps, so as long as they work you'll probably want to keep them. I've got lots of great RF amps that are even older, such as the Series1-460sd I bought back in '91, and a couple of 2600x amps that use the same type of crossovers as your 60ix models.

Glad I could be of help, if you have any other audio related questions I'm happy to assist.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thank you so very much. You just got ride of my last headache.

I'm going to change the name of the thread a little so maybe this can help someone else.