Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

where can i find leds for the gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you do the HVAC you need to go to the tech gallery and look up the mod I wrote up for it, or the LEDs will be so dim you can barely see them. It requires cutting parts of the circuit and adding parts.

If a shop doesnt work on surface mount stuff regularly DO NOT let them do this. It is different than simply soldering wires in place. And if they mess up de-soldering your LCD on the HVAC board it costs good money to replace. A new HVAC module lists $566.00 from Toyota, and that is what you buy if the LCD gets damaged. You can get one out of salvage for about $100 usually, but still not fun just for the LCD.. then you have to try desoldering it again

It is one thing if you want to go by the two DIY writeups in the tech gallery and learn yourself on your car, but I wouldnt take it to someone else unless they had experience in it. I just had one guy send me his because it didnt work, and the guy he paid skipped out on him. So he had to pay me to fix it, plus $100 to replace the board and LCD that were damaged. So be careful that whoever you send it to knows thier stuff. I have had 4 out of 35 so far come to me because they were already damaged trying to do the mod.

But in any case, the write ups for the Gagues and HVAC, the mod I created so the HVAC comes out correctly and some soldering tips I wrote up are in the Tech Gallery
Old 06-01-2006, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey engifineer! how much do your kits cost? i'd be interested in a set of blue for both the hvac and gauges.....
Old 06-02-2006, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member

The guys at the scion dealership i work at quoted me about $5,000 to do all this madness...someone tell me I can do this LED switch for a lot less? :-)
Old 06-02-2006, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

WHAT???? The dealer is not even qualified to do the mod unless they are ordering them from me and charging that!! Not that someone there hasnt done anything similar, but I wouldnt trust them with it. I say ordering from me because I have done a handful of them for dealers around the country.

PM sent to you regarding this in case you are interested. But either way, the "fair" price for this is about 2% of what they told you
Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^ holy smokes!!! $5K?!?!?!?!!!

yeah.. it's 2% of that what they should charge..
Old 06-02-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hell Squall we should both quit our day jobs and travel around doing these at dealers :D They could just pay me $3k a peice and keep the rest as profit.. I could make about 9k a day doing that
Old 06-02-2006, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah I know the dealer isnt authorized to do that but I work for them and they would do it aftermarket for me...and Im not even sure who they would call out for it anyway, but they usually hook me up in the price department so i trusted them...good thing I signed up with this site otherwise i'd be hating the amber forever!!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:54 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by engifineer
Hell Squall we should both quit our day jobs and travel around doing these at dealers :D They could just pay me $3k a peice and keep the rest as profit.. I could make about 9k a day doing that
oh yeah!! hell... i'll travel around the country to different dealerships doing this no problem!!