Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

$145 Floor Mats only last 3 months?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default $145 Floor Mats only last 3 months?

I"m mad at Tejas Toyota in the burbs of Houston . I purchased the floormat set for $145 cause i liked the pull apart design. well i've owned the car for three months (7000 miles) and the drivers floormat has worn through the carpet in two places. i went it to the dealer and asked for it to be warrantied and replaced. the service advisor was great but had to ask the service manager if it is under warranty. the service manager then told me it was my fault because i must drive aggressive since in his opinion thats what causes the worn mats . how in the he** can you tell if someone is an aggressive driver by a floor mat??? I am not an aggressive driver but drive in a large city and my foot rotates from the break to the gas etc in traffic. my VW's carpet mats didn't show wear for 3 years. anyway, the service manager said he would warranty it this time as he warrantied the first one on a few other peoples tC's. obviously its got to be a flaw somehow in that batch of mats if others are having probs too. i was just mad that he was accusing me right from the start. i called scion and opened a case for the mat incase it happens in another 3 months and told them how the service manager treated me. (doubt it will do any good though)

anyone else having these mat probs?
Old 05-06-2005, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am not sure why yours wear out so fast. I have mine for nine months and it is as good as new. But I vacuum it every two weeks though. It's nice Scion take care of it. Just don't stomp on the gas too much then
Old 05-06-2005, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hey, h-town-mate! Yeah, we've all heard how easy the floormat get worn. But so far, there is nth we can do about it. I also heard someone said he/they got the floormats replaced ONCE only under warranty! Check it out!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Harman
I am not sure why yours wear out so fast. I have mine for nine months and it is as good as new. But I vacuum it every two weeks though. It's nice Scion take care of it. Just don't stomp on the gas too much then
I vacuum every week. (kinda **** bout my car bein clean inside)
what makes me so mad is that he accuses me of it. i'm sure it was probibly just a bad bactch or something but i don't see how aggressive driving can be seen in a floor mat.

Hey Eiso, up on the northease side in kingwood here.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep pressing the issue by calling Scion directly. They should help you out.

There have been a few people with floor mat issues.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Huskersnow

mine are wearing out too. so can i take mine to the dealership? i have had mine for 3 months as well
Old 05-06-2005, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had mine for about the same time and the floormats are fine. good luck with your issue
Old 05-06-2005, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

first off. O & A rock

now back to topic lol, i did call and have a case with scion so if it happens again the case is already open. he did end up replacing it under warranty this time so i don't really need to push it right now but in the future all bets are off.. they claws come out.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by spoolinTC

mine are wearing out too. so can i take mine to the dealership? i have had mine for 3 months as well
call scion to report it just so they know then pressure the dealer to replace it under warranty. hopefully it was just a bad batch of them and after replacement it will be fine. hopefully

don't for get to call 1-866-70-SCION to report it.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For what we paid for those stinken mats, they better cover it under warranty.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

i went to target and got really nice floormats for $13. and thats for two full size fronts and 2 little squares for the back. they are black and easy to cut with a sharp knife, i had to trim the drivers side one so it would clear the dead-pedal and not interfere with the other pedals. took all of 30 seconds literally.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i put a big black towel around them so mine is still brand new....it wears out when you use your clutch.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

It isn't the clutch. It is poor quality. I have had my tC since late dec. and just noticed a hole in my drivers side mat. Heel wear is what it is. I am sure you might be able to get one where ever you move your foot from one place to another.
There are many threads about this. I believe Scion is aware because someone here stated the RS 1 mats have a rubber heal area.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah... I can see this being a problem. I've had the carpet out for the winter but I'll be putting it back in soon. I think the deal is they need to be thin enough to fit in down there and still have two pieces, but thick enough to hold together - it's just a hard combo. Most mats are one piece so they can use a much more substantial design. I really like these mats but I almost feel like they should have recessed the floor a little bit so they could make them thick and still have them fit. But they didn't and that's life. So I don't know what to say really... I just hope they'll warranty them when mine end up toasted.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It depends on your shoes and the material of the floor mat. Great that your VW mat lasted so long, but that was probably with different shoes (unless your shoes last 5 years or something crazy) Those are considered wear parts, and are not warrantied. It's not an issue, it's a floormat. You should be very happy with your dealer that they went way beyond what they needed to do in this instance. Calling Scion will do you no good, the material they use on those floor mats is probably the same as the last 20,000,000 toyotas sold... so theres not a flaw.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its the 5 speeds that have the worn mats autos are ok
Old 05-06-2005, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just took the carpets out when I first bought it. The all weather mat is easier to clean ayway and still looks nice.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok i just got mine a few days ago and I keep reading about mats wearing out fast . I look at mine and they have a plastic like section under the pedals . Is it the plastic part wearing out ? or is it the carpeting part of the mat ? Like I said I keep coming across this all the time but never says where the holes are .
Old 05-06-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I disagree. This was a problem with the xB as well. Cheaply made. Mine got a heel mark worn in less than a month. Some people have had them replaced. It's between the bumpers, so it was covered under the 3/36. My last 3 Toyotas never had much noticeable signs of wear from a heel even after 50K on all of them, and the last one was an Echo...

IMO, they tried to make them look plush and instead compromised long life. Form over function... That's not like Toyota...
Old 05-06-2005, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Signature Visions
SL Member

i forgot to mention the ones i got at target have a rubber area for your heels so you dont have to worrry about the fabric wearing out...

Quick Reply: $145 Floor Mats only last 3 months?