12mm Header Bolt Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Default 12mm Header Bolt Help!

I'm putting a Weapon-R Header on my car and need some help. There's about 5 bolts that hold the header flange onto the head of the engine. The nut on the bottom left(closest to the alternator won't come off. It's a 12mm nut and I have a 12mm open head wrench. socket, ratchet. Whatever, I have it and I tried all of them and tried tapping it with a hammer and it won't turn. I actually ended up shaving some of the nut off with the wrenches because I kept trying to turn it and it wouldn't come off and now I imagine it's harder for it to come off. Anyone have any suggestions or things I can try to get the nut off? I WD-40'd that b!tch up and still nothing. The socket wouldn't work because the alternator's in the way and it won't fit. I bought an angle'd attachment where it'll work at an angle and may fit with the alternator in the way. But I'm not counting on this. So anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. Can you cut the nut off or something? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont cut the nut. the only thing i could think off would be hose that sob down again with wd-40 (i mean alot to be safe) let it soak for 20 mins or so then go back with the wrench and try it with a breaker bar for extra leverage. good luck and godspeed
Old 11-13-2005, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ended up using a U-joint on a short 12mm socket just to break the nut loose. After that I could remove it by hand. If you still cant get it, you may need to remove the alternator.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Use PB Blaster, works miracles.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem isnt that the bolt is stuck, its that he cant get a good grip on it. I had the same problem when I installed my header. All the lube in the world wont help if he can get a good grip on it.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Use a SAE socket that is a tad smaller than the metric 12mm bolt. Tap it on there and use an impact wrench to get it out. That's what I had to have done to get one of my janked header bolts off...
Old 11-13-2005, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you try getting the engine hot ? Run it for a while, put some gloves on and try to get a good grip. If you need to remove the alternator. Good Luck !!

GET A GRIP ON IT !!!
Old 11-13-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had luck using a 12mm standard depth socket. one of those flex elbows and the screwdriver in my tool box that has a 1/4inch socket plug on it. It wasnt on the bolt completely so you have to take it slow and easy. I'd was off all that wd-40 and crap cause if the car is fairly new they shouldnt need it that badly. I'll have pics up once my friend sends em to me.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 12mm Header Bolt Help!

Originally Posted by badseed305
I'm putting a Weapon-R Header on my car and need some help. There's about 5 bolts that hold the header flange onto the head of the engine. The nut on the bottom left(closest to the alternator won't come off. It's a 12mm nut and I have a 12mm open head wrench. socket, ratchet. Whatever, I have it and I tried all of them and tried tapping it with a hammer and it won't turn. I actually ended up shaving some of the nut off with the wrenches because I kept trying to turn it and it wouldn't come off and now I imagine it's harder for it to come off. Anyone have any suggestions or things I can try to get the nut off? I WD-40'd that b!tch up and still nothing. The socket wouldn't work because the alternator's in the way and it won't fit. I bought an angle'd attachment where it'll work at an angle and may fit with the alternator in the way. But I'm not counting on this. So anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. Can you cut the nut off or something? Thanks in advance for any help.
Wait, weapon R makes a header now too? sorry I'm not much help, I had my friend install mine at his shop, he has all kinds of tools, so I'm sure he didn't have much of a hard time removing it.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The problem isn't getting a good grip on it. After all, I did successfully remove all the other bolts. The thing is that I didn't have a 12mm wrench with me so I took most of the bolts off with a 1/2 wrench, no problem. But when I got to that last one, it was so stubborn that I couldn't take it off with the 1/2 and I ended up shaving the sides of the nut and now that I have the 12mm wrench, I cant get a grip on it because it's basically a circular nut now. lol... so I don't know what to do. The only thing I can think of is, how someone here said, remove the alternator that's in the way. Has anyone ever taken off an alternator? I just don't want to take it off because the belts are there and I don't like to mess with that stuff. Anything else?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

use wd40.. then use anti seize when you put it back on
Old 11-14-2005, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just used the closed end of a wrench and a rubber mallet. it worked fine
Old 11-14-2005, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Craftsman makes a socket set for messed up bolts. The sockets have corkscrew teeth that grip the bolt as you try to loosen the it. I've never used them, but I heard good things about them. I can't remember the name, but I remember seeing it at Sears...about $50? *shrug*
Old 11-14-2005, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

i got the header installed....thanx for the suggestions...this header blew me away...once u step on the pedal, u notice the huge difference in acceleration.