Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

30k Maintenance Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 03:56 AM
SL Member

Default 30k Maintenance Questions?

Hey I'm a little over 30,000 miles and was looking to do some normal maintenance for my car. I've searched to see what should be done and I've gotten a few answers, but some say one thing and some say another.

My car is a Manual 2008 Scion tC

From what I've read I've been told to change the following:

Oil/Filter
Replace Air Filter
Inspect Brakes and other stuff (fluids and other parts to make sure they aren't that too worn)
Rotate Tires

Now some things I've read say to replace my Transmission Fluid, but some people also say not too. Same goes for Flushing my Coolant and for replacing my Spark Plugs.

Just looking to try to get some clarification, thanks!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Coolant xchange at 100k.
spark plugs at 100k

Recommended maintenance in the 30k service that you heard matches what would be in your owners manual. Additional service may also be needed depending on how hard you drive your car:

Brakes Service = 30K
Manual Gear lube = 30K
Wheel alignment check and adjustment
Old 03-02-2010, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how do you lube the gears ? iv never heard of this
Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ drain the differential fluid and refill with 75w90 gear lube.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MikeRackhabit
Hey I'm a little over 30,000 miles and was looking to do some normal maintenance for my car. I've searched to see what should be done and I've gotten a few answers, but some say one thing and some say another.

My car is a Manual 2008 Scion tC

From what I've read I've been told to change the following:

Oil/Filter
Replace Air Filter
Inspect Brakes and other stuff (fluids and other parts to make sure they aren't that too worn)
Rotate Tires

Now some things I've read say to replace my Transmission Fluid, but some people also say not too. Same goes for Flushing my Coolant and for replacing my Spark Plugs.

Just looking to try to get some clarification, thanks!
you'll have people here telling you what the manual suggests. I wouldn't wait 100k miles to pull out spark plugs, they'll be seized into the head! I pulled them out of a friend's tC at about 30k and they had wear on them, replaced them for cheap $8 (NGK OE Laser Iridum ones) and the car ran better, smoother, was worth it. Some consider it a waste, but it's not their car and for $32 why not?

Also waiting to 100k for the coolant isn't that great. There have been people who've found out at later mileage that the super long life coolant doesn't really last that long. I'd say 45-50k for that coolant. Sure, it's longer life than the older technology I give it that, but 1/2 of what they claim. Oh and don't flush the coolant, aluminum radiators do NOT like pressure flushing. Just drain and fill.

Trans fluid on a manual, 30k isn't overkill. You own it, what's wrong with doing a little extra maintenance, makes sure it's running the best it can? If you can afford it, go for it.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i change my gear oil before 30k mark cause i didnt like the OEM fluid and went to eneos night and day difference......

collant flush really dony think youll need one just yet

as far spark plugs people wil say they will last up to 100k but i aint waiting that long to replace them i replace mine with NGK ones at 50k miles and make a difference in starting the car right up
Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our tC has iridium spark plugs which are 90-100k plugs. It is a good idea to remove them just to check them out but the dealer will probably charge you extra. The coolant also is rated at 100k because it's already mixed with distilled water rather than tap water. I has other stuff in there to make it last that long as well.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontastic
Our tC has iridium spark plugs which are 90-100k plugs. It is a good idea to remove them just to check them out but the dealer will probably charge you extra. The coolant also is rated at 100k because it's already mixed with distilled water rather than tap water. I has other stuff in there to make it last that long as well.
Are spark plugs easy to do yourself or should I go to the dealer? I'm pretty sure I can't just pull them out of the box and stick them in right? I need to measure the gap? Man I wish car maintenance was easier, so many expenses LOL:

1. Gas
2. Oil
3. Oil and Air Filter
4. Tires
5. Brakes
6. Rotors
7. Wiper Blades
8. Washing car
9. Spark Plugs
10. Filling engine reservoirs

Old 03-02-2010, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^lol for the plugs you can get the gap tool they sell at a parts store usually by the check out a little round guage that will measure the gap all you got to do is rotate the plug to that point
Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ drain the differential fluid and refill with 75w90 gear lube.
how many qt of 75w90 do we need to do a drain & fill on the diff...

Thanks..
Keith.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

keith - 2.5 liter/2.6 qts. Gear lube has to be GL-4 or GL-5 approved.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Necromancer
Are spark plugs easy to do yourself or should I go to the dealer? I'm pretty sure I can't just pull them out of the box and stick them in right? I need to measure the gap? Man I wish car maintenance was easier, so many expenses LOL:

actually it's a lot easier to tune up our cars cuz the engine does not have ignition wires to potentially get mismatched to their cylinders. We got Coil Over Plug ignition system. Just remove each coil to get at the spark plugs. It's held down with 10mm bolts. Then remove plugs with 5/8 spark plug socket. It takes 10 minutes to do. Also genuine spark plugs from Toyota parts dept. already comes pre-gapped out the box. Gap specs should be around 0.043 inch if you feel the need to check it yourself.

Last edited by sciontastic; 03-02-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

keith - 2.5 liter/2.6 qts. Gear lube has to be GL-4 or GL-5 approved.
Thanks sciontastic, your just fantastic....

Keith.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually it's a lot easier to tune up our cars cuz the engine does not have ignition wires to potentially get mismatched to their cylinders. We got Coil Over Plug ignition system. Just remove each coil to get at the spark plugs. It's held down with 10mm bolts. Then remove plugs with 5/8 spark plug socket. It takes 10 minutes to do. Also genuine spark plugs from Toyota parts dept. already comes pre-gapped out the box. Gap specs should be around 0.043 inch if you feel the need to check it yourself.

I agree with most of this, would like to add:

Only change the plugs when the engine is cold. An aluminum head when hot can warp if you pull the spark plugs out.

Also I really didn't like the Denso plugs, those are the only ones that have the Toyota name on them. yet the NGK come from the factory. I've always liked NGK, and would recommend them over denso.

The NGK is part no 4589 for our engine called "Laser Iridium" same as the factory plug IFRT11 is the part number.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...m.asp?mode=nml

As far as gapping an Iridium tipped plug, you DONT. Not with a round gapper that is designed for a copper tipped plug. You try that on an Iridium you'll snap that tip off. Take some feeler gauges and put them in between the center and side electrode to measure. The NGK I've seen and Denso are already gapped to the 1.1mm. So really no need to gap them at all. but examine them before buying them, I always have. Don't like one, ask for another. Easier to buy one then mess with that strong side electrode.

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 03-03-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm at 32k miles and i have to do the 30k mile service too. I'm just going to get a friend to help me change the spark plug, brake fluid, oil, oil filter, and power steering. I have an auto so i'm hoping I don't have to change that too.