Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 3rd gear

hey guys, well its been almost two weeks with my tc and its been great, but i remember when i was debating about getting a manual or auto, i remember hearing alot about manual popping out of 3rd, its been two weeks, almost 300 miles, and i have not experienced it once, was this true just in the earlier models or something? because my cousin is debating on whether to get a tc let alone manual or auto, and hes read reviews on it popping out, and i told him i have not experienced it yet and he says its cause im a newb shifter and im realy careful on my shifts
Old 11-17-2004, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

never had a gear pop out yet, just broke 200 miles, hope to get my break-in completed within a week (then i'll slow down driving, just itching me right now)

I'm a newb to stick too, and doing surprisingly well, haven't grinded a single gear (well, once it went *tat-tat* into 4th gear because I let out the clutch too early) and I've been practicing on solid hills till I got it down, only stalled it twice since I've had the car *knocks on wood*

but the shifting action feels great, although it is really tight shifts, my dad's VW Jetta GT seems more spaced out, I've mis-shifted from second to fifth and backed out again quickly twice so far.... but no mechanical problems yet (including elusive non-existent rattles)

sooooo much happier than the 4-speed auto I test drove
Old 11-17-2004, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5900 miles and no problem other clicking. doesnt pop out of third though.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just over 10000 and no jumping out of gear
Old 11-17-2004, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow 10K ! I have about 5k now and no jumping out of gear. I tend to believe the people didn't have it in gear all the way, and it popped out. However, when you rely simply on memory of putting it in gear, you don't remember thinking it wasn't in all the way, because otherwise you would have pushed harder, so one would assume it was in gear all the way when it really wasn't.

And plus, any problem like this is covered for 3 yr, 36k mile warranty.

EDIT: Or is it 5 year?
Old 11-17-2004, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Manual transmission with no problems after 1700 miles other than the driver lacking experience with a manual. ;)
Old 11-17-2004, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent

i think it's 3 years unless you got some kind of extended warranty.

anyway, i've got about 800 miles on the car and i've had some grinding into 3rd (like 4 times). my fault entirely from what i can gather. i'm still driving by muscle memory from my old car and i release the clutch too early. i've never had instances of it actually popping out of 3rd though.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the replies guys, and i was just wondering how many of you guys here launch from 2nd? yeah i only had some grinding problems first couple of days forgetting about the clutch and puttin it into gear at about 5 mph approaching a stop sign, stalling was only bad for the night i got it, occasionally ill stall because im getting cocky and thinking its alittle to easy, but im having some trouble shifting into second smoothly, i get jerks alot, i guess i gotta practice more, dont think ive done any damage at all to my tranny though, and its good to hear im not the only one driving stick on their new tc here
Old 11-17-2004, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i launch from 2nd all the time.

it should probably be reserved for more experienced drivers, but the gear is so short that it works fine for normal driving.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by imjonk

i think it's 3 years unless you got some kind of extended warranty.

anyway, i've got about 800 miles on the car and i've had some grinding into 3rd (like 4 times). my fault entirely from what i can gather. i'm still driving by muscle memory from my old car and i release the clutch too early. i've never had instances of it actually popping out of 3rd though.
I think the powertrain is 5 years actually-

1000 miles all around town and no popping out of gear- No problems whatsoever-
Old 11-17-2004, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wow 10K ! I have about 5k now and no jumping out of gear. I tend to believe the people didn't have it in gear all the way, and it popped out. However, when you rely simply on memory of putting it in gear, you don't remember thinking it wasn't in all the way, because otherwise you would have pushed harder, so one would assume it was in gear all the way when it really wasn't.

10k is nothing, im pushing already 15k but then again its nothign to brag about. i commute to much.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Keeping your hand off the shifter when driving is a good way to prevent this from happening. my zx2 does this now, cause i drive with my hand on the shift ****.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+3K miles... no popping, not one grinding of the gears either.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sportmaned
thanks for the replies guys, and i was just wondering how many of you guys here launch from 2nd? yeah i only had some grinding problems first couple of days forgetting about the clutch and puttin it into gear at about 5 mph approaching a stop sign, stalling was only bad for the night i got it, occasionally ill stall because im getting cocky and thinking its alittle to easy, but im having some trouble shifting into second smoothly, i get jerks alot, i guess i gotta practice more, dont think ive done any damage at all to my tranny though, and its good to hear im not the only one driving stick on their new tc here
i think i have a bit of the same experience with 2nd that you do. again my experience with my previous car kind of throws me off... like shifting from third to second causes a lot more engine braking than i'm used to. even when i double clutch into second. it's taking me a lot of time to get used to it. i guess i'm more noob at driving a standard than i thought i was.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rev match when you downshift... Shifting fast helps smooth out your shifting too... If you granny shift you throw the engine RPMs way off... Just remember the speed and RPM in what gear you want to go and if you let off the clutch at the right RPM (match both fly wheel and clutch) you'll never feel a jerk...

ie.
30 mph in 3rd is 2k rpm
30 mph in 2nd is 3k rpm

let off gas, clutch in and shift into 2nd from 3rd, once you're in 2nd you should pump gas to around 3.250 rpm (this means you stomp and let gas go completely) and once you're off gas, find friction before it drops below 3K rpm... If you do this right, you'll feel almost nothing, but usually when you begin you'll feel a bit of rub before you're fully engauged... Once you feel the clutch fully engauged, just step off completely and gas...

If you guys can't get downshfiting, it really takes a lot out of driving a stick... Wait till you learn heel toe... Then you'll be having tons of fun...

Gawd I miss this forum =P Tacoma forums sux
Old 11-17-2004, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

A good article on heel and toe downshifting.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...2/article.html
Old 11-17-2004, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's easier said than done... I learned heel toe from watching motoring videos... The hard part is actually relearning the whole rev match part of it... Timing plays a huge role, and your brake pressure changes rev match too... With regular downshifting, all you have to do is match the rev at the current speed which is easy as hell, but with heel toe, you generally have to feel how much speed you're losing and match it to your shift speed... I found that it's easier to do 5 > 3 and 4 > 2 with heel toe... Doing a 4 > 2 is almost the same as doing a 3 > 2 in most cars... I even did a 5 > 2 once to stop the car in an emergency and it worked like a charm...

However once you learn it, you'll never tackle another corner the same way and see 1/4 mile as boring...
Old 11-17-2004, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haven't had issues with 3rd gear popping out, but I've had lurching going into first, loud clanking going into 2nd, and a nasty nasty growling noise when releasing the clutch going into 4th and 5th. Sounds like a bad throw out bearing or just a messed up clutch, but doesn't make much sense that it only does it in 4th and 5th.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just hit 4k and i still have no problems with my tc
Old 11-18-2004, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Obike
A good article on heel and toe downshifting.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...2/article.html
That's a great article. These are the kind of things I never learned from my dad when I got my tC. And seeing how vin diesel never really explained it to me, what exactly is "granny shifting"? I've heard of it, but I have no idea what it is. And I sure as hell want to make sure i ain't doin' it!

Quick Reply: 3rd gear