Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

8.5 years and 148k miles later - my Scion tC is..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
I haven't been around lately.. but about the idle issue, I had it too. the usual suspects are :

- Clean the MAF sensor
- Clean the throttle body
- Use bg product's 44k fuel cleaner. Dump into the gas tank, fill up to mix it all. Burn that tank of gas out.
- Replace the spark plugs with NGK's laser iridium part no 4589

But the one thing I did forget about was the 44k fuel cleaner. I dumped that in and burning about 1/2 tank of that it has already cleared up the rough idle. It's about $20 a can where you can find it. thought I'd throw that in
going to pick up the spark plugs at napa later.

i ordered a 3 pack of the bf 44k cleaner for $50, ill give the other two to a bro and sister. should be here in a couple of days.

just to get this straight. i run the tank almost to empty.
drive to gas station.
then put in the bg 44k right before i fill up with gas?

or

fill up tank, then dump in the cleaner?

maybe im overthinking this. ill just put it in when im around 1/4th tank, then fill it up and drive.

Last edited by Luisfc1972; 10-24-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Luisfc1972
going to pick up the spark plugs at napa later.

i ordered a 3 pack of the bf 44k cleaner for $50, ill give the other two to a bro and sister. should be here in a couple of days.

just to get this straight. i run the tank almost to empty.
drive to gas station.
then put in the bg 44k right before i fill up with gas?

or

fill up tank, then dump in the cleaner?

maybe im overthinking this. ill just put it in when im around 1/4th tank, then fill it up and drive.
you want to put it into the tank around 1/4 tank or less so the filling of the gas will mix it up in the tank. I also suggest getting a funnel to put into the gas tank opening. The 44k is kind of messy, oily, so pour slowly.. also, shake the can of 44k before use.

I would not replace the spark plugs until after the 44k is run through the tank. When it gets into the combustion chamber it will clean deposits off and you don't want those contaminating the new plugs. I always run the 44k then put in new plugs, and do an oil change.

The reason being is the 44k is oily, and it can stick to the cylinder walls possibly mixing with the oil (on the other side of the piston rings). It's only to be safe. I know it's a lot to do, but it's worth it once the 44k cleans everything out.

You're not over-thinking it, it's good to think it through, there's a lot of chemistry going on with the 44k cleaner.

I've run two tank of gas through before making sure the 44k was gone before I did the spark plugs and oil change.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Oh my account still works.
I had my TC for 4 years and lost it to a flood in 2010, was one my favorite cars I have owned but also the slowest.
Went out at 88K miles, no major maintenance except tires and brakes. My HVAC also went out at 36K and wasn't able to be fulfilled under warranty. Dealer maintained every 5K miles with receipts. I ended up getting around 9K through insurance because of those receipts.
Oh yeah, I had a trd axleback, megan racing headers, had a custom test pipe but swapped it out to oem cats, injen cai, sound system, and full orange to blue, red, white led cluster conversion.
Felt like such a boss when I was 20 haha. Now I own a 2016 WRX.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting thread. i did most of the recommended maintenance.

2006 scion tc. im at 66k now

i had to replace the master clutch cylinder recently
Old 04-29-2017, 01:50 AM

Honestly I never saw myself driving a tC or any kind of coupe. Due to my credit situation and my emergency situation after being forced to sell my beloved Mercedes 300D... dealer said take it or leave it - only manual car on the lot. So I took it. It's grown on me and I quite enjoy it. Spec-D catback, DIY shifter extension, cold air intake and a mild tune later and I LOVE IT. Next mod is new wheels and a full detail to remove those swirls.... I'm addicted. 82k miles on the clock and still tight as new, even if one body panel doesn't line up quite right...
Old 07-18-2017, 05:18 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the great stories and facts about your cars, that's what helped make my decision on buying a TC last week to rebuild. I have been a Ford/Nissan guy for a long time and never ventured into Toyota land until now. I just grabbed a 2AZ-FE from a U-pull yard and it had 170k miles on it, When I got home and opened it up the main and rod bearings looked brand new. No visual sings of wear... I haven't seen that in any other engine that I have disassembled.