2005-2010 [ANT10]

admin fee for new tc dealer wouldn't waive glad he didn't

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default admin fee for new tc dealer wouldn't waive glad he didn't

was at a delearship and was ready to write a check for an 08 silver tc. got down to it and we were going to write a check for sticker price since in is a well known fact that scion delears cannot come off sticker price.. then they tried to stick us with a 160 dollar adminstration fee.. the guy lied to our face and said it was from scion.. well i called my buddy that is a scion delear in another town and asked him about the fee, and he said they didn't know what the hell that guy was talking about.. he just got in the same car as i was looking at and also gave me a credit cause i didn't take the stock radio and let me use that credit for a spoiler.. so pretty much i got the exact same car for about 500-600 cheaper... SO IT DOES HELP TO CHECK AROUND.. as for the adminstrative fee.. i also called scions main number and they know nothing of it as well... guess that little fee was worth the sale for that dude..

anyway... I FREAKIN LOVE MY TC and am so glad i went with it over a sentra spec v
Old 07-06-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

good deal brotha! it always help to dig around a bit! :D

well done!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Glad everything worked out for ya, congrats on the new car!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup dealers tack on all sorts of fake "Fees".. is all a scam. even with scion's "pure pricing" they still find ways around it. and they wonder why dealer sales people are the lowest respected of all professions?!?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

admin fee = BS
Old 07-07-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, nice deal. What did you tell the guy who was going to charge you the extra fee?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tc

he told me he was a supermoderator on here so i am sure he will see me with pics of my car... that should say enough... really wasn't as much his fault as much as the floor manager.. but hey.. i had no hard feelings.. he was very helpful in showing me all the new perks of the 08's
Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Most places do have fees. What the call them is different. But this is standard at every dealership (mazda, mitsu, scion, lexus) that I stopped at when shopping. Scion here was $400.
Not to bad really. When spending $17k, $400 wasnt to bad.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, all my friends tell me that since i know so much about cars and i'm always talking and reading about them, why don't i become a car salesman, and the answer is simply i could never sell all that snake oil they try to get you to buy with the car, or charge people bogus fees. so dishonest.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha I got tricked once.... since my car was late the guy tells me it's going to have the Ipod deck and they were going to wave the fee, so I said alright thats fine, when I get it I asked him if this was the deck he said yes and tried to play off the aux plug as the extra Ipod deck, when I confronted him he denied saying anything about it and I was like what fee did he waive and he said that my car cost extra, some dealer's are just scumbags and need to get fired
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealers really should just call the "Administrative Fee" what it is: "Additional Dealer Profit."

There are some fees that are legit, and even some that are mandated, depending on location, but the usual Admin Fee is simply dealer profit enhancement.

Tom
Old 07-07-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, when i bought my car, we agreed on a price of just under 20,000 for everything i got. I then had the check written for the total price to give to him. When we made it to the dealership, i went to give the check to him and he took it. Then the supervisor / manager came over and said that i was short $140 for an administration fee for all the paperwork that had to be done. Adam, the salesman that solf me the car was completely lost and never heard of this but couldn't say anything. I sat there and said "BS" to the manager. Its not my job to do the paperwork, thats there job. I told him i wasn't paying that stupid fee and it is BS. No buyer pays for the paperwork to be done. Thats why they pay someone to do it. The manager said i had to pay it and i said "FINE", i then snagged my check back and started to leave and said have fun with that car on the lot. Adam then put his boss in his place and went after me. Adam said that the fee is BS and its fake. Its just how the stupid people make extra cash for the day and end up pocketing it. In the end, i got the car that day and DIDN'T pay the fee. Adam was great about everything and continues to be. a few weeks later, their boss was FIRED by the owener of the TOYOTA / SCION dealership due to these false fees that people were complaining about. Anyways i got the car and my dealers service is AWESOME. the owner of the dealership is great. he apologized to everyone who was given false charges and gave us free oil changes until our warranties are up. He's the man. He also owns an Audi and lexus dealership thats right next to the scion one. $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Arguing your case goes a long way.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no way to avoid the fee completely; however, it is a good idea to shop around and check out different dealership fees. The dealership is required by the manufacturer to perform a PDI (Process and Delivery Inspection) when the car comes in off of the truck. We pay our guy 1.3 book time to do it so there is no way we can just give this to the customer for free. Luckily, the dealerships around the Milwaukee area, including us, are very reasonable with their fees. Most are <100 dollars.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionJim23
No buyer pays for the paperwork to be done.
Actually, you do.

Ever heard of front end pack?

It's usually somewhere around 300 bucks, and that's for the desk managers to work your deal, basiclly, paperwork.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by virtualarson
Originally Posted by ScionJim23
No buyer pays for the paperwork to be done.
Actually, you do.

Ever heard of front end pack?

It's usually somewhere around 300 bucks, and that's for the desk managers to work your deal, basiclly, paperwork.
Not all dealerships have a pack. It just depends on the owners and how they want there business ran.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I buy a quart of milk I pay the price listed, which includes the cost of the store paying employees, insurance, cost of stocking, keeping the lights on, checking me out, printing a receipt, sweeping the flors, having a large parking lot, etcetera ad naseum.

I don't expect to be charged extra, above the posted price, for the bag, the cashier's time, her manager's salary, the cost of "flooring" the milk for a week before I buy it, business insurance, finance costs, the cost of preparing and printing the receipt, etc.

Those costs are all rolled into the retail price. The only extra I stand for is state tax being added, because the state requires it to be, and to be listed separately.

The same should be true of buying a car. The price they show on the product should be the price I pay, and all their little "extras" should already be a part of the price as they are in most any other retail business...

Instead, they remove all those costs of doing business so they can show the lowest possible price for the product, then add 'em on the backend of the deal to puff up the price. If a dealership can't stay in business, and make a decent profit, for the price they list as the retail price of their product, they are not listing a valid retail price, but simply a bait price to get the customer hooked.

This is ONE area where Scion's corporate idea of "Pure Price" is head and shoulders above the other brands, bit not all dealers have accepted and understood the concept.

I've been lucky. Both dealers I've bought Scions from sold me Scions for the sticker price plus tax. No extras added on after the fact.

The only extra is a standard fee ($35) for finance paperwork and having to handle the title twice, once at sale and again when the car is paid for (to transfer ownership to the buyer). If the car is financed elsewhere or paid in cash, that fee is not charged.

Tom
Old 07-08-2007, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exactly. No dealer should be charging extra fees. It is wrong to do and thats why the manager at my dealership was fired. These fees are false and do not exist. He was charging people BS fees. The fee was explained to people as a fee for creating all the paper work and the copies of it. That is complete BS and i don't care if you say its not, because it is. Like he said above ^ when i get milk, i dont pay for the milk and then an extra $0.50 for the receipt. Its all in the price jsut like the car. Im already paying them $20,000. The paperwork best be included in that price. Alls i know is that the fee is BS and the salesman told me it was and thats why they dropped it. Later
Old 07-08-2007, 02:38 AM

i got an 07 two weeks ago. MSRP was $17345 but was still able to haggle down to $16745.

MAKE SURE U DO NOT PAY THE DEALER FEE.

most dealers have the dealer fee ALREADY on the car. then they put it again on the paperwork. so be careful.

i told my salesman i am not paying the dealer fee. so what he did was take it off the sticker price.

it was total BS cuz the manager talked to me and said that he ABSOLUTELY CANNOT touch the MSRP. because Scion does not like that.

maybe they were a lil lenient cuz its an 07. but they only had a few 08 anyways. [/b]