Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member

Default air conditioning

i was wandering if anyone was having any trouble with their ac.... mine just isn't all that cold!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no problem here, mines freezing!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

some tc's have this other's dont.. have your dealership put a thermometer in the vents while the a/c is running.. mine got down to 39 degrees.. yours should be about the same.. otherwise it needs more refridgerant..
Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont use my air so I have no clue how cold it is.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member

Funny I was just about to start a post about this, then I noticed this one soon after I did and deleted it. I'm having the same problem....cool but not cold. I'll have to have the service department look at it. Just started noticing it in the last week since its gotten up to the mid 90's. Thanks for the post...glad I'm not the only one

P.S. I'd still rather bake in my tC any day of the week then be caught in a civic.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:00 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Mine had the same prob, took it to the dealer and got it back yesterday.... they performed the TSB on it and added more refrigerant. its now a cool 39 degrees. Handy here in Oklahoma in the summer....

My $.02

Interestingly, they said the spongy brakes were nromal... part of the Electronic brake Force distribution system or some such silliness. It was my 2d time in on brakes. guwss I will try some new pads, then rotors and calipersif required. Car feels like you have to stomp the brakes to make it stop..
oh well

it still kicks &%^
Old 06-23-2005, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member

what's a tsb? i took mine to the dealer and they said the only thing that they could tell was the recycle air thing wasn't on! should i go back?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine isnt very cold either. ill have to look into that.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ericb
what's a tsb? i took mine to the dealer and they said the only thing that they could tell was the recycle air thing wasn't on! should i go back?
sounds like your dealer isn't that smart.. might want to try another dealer. a tsb is a "technical service bulletin" a "fix" basically that shows what the engineers at scion have found to fix a common problem.. in this case the tsb shows that if the customer is complaining about lack of cold air from the a/c to put more refridgerant into the a/c system.. it seems some cars came with too little from the factory.. that's why you should take a thermometer, turn your a/c on and stick the probe in the vent and see what the temp of the air is coming out of the vents.. if it's 39-40 degrees.. you're fine

and hitting re-circulation doesn't decrease the temp that much.. in my car it doesn't seem to matter.. it's 39 degrees regardless.. so the dealer you're going to sounds like they're clueless.. try another..
Old 06-23-2005, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member

hey Sciontc_mich,

GO PISTONS!!! BAD BOYS BACK-TO-BACK!!!

sorry couldn't help it...I lived most of my life in Lansing....
I miss seeing them play at the palace!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay i'll go off topic for a moment.. yeah can't wait for the game tomorrow night, Pistons better pull it together and win this one
Old 06-23-2005, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
okay i'll go off topic for a moment.. yeah can't wait for the game tomorrow night, Pistons better pull it together and win this one
yea sorry guys last time for me off the topic.....

I agree....I truly think both teams are deserving of the title....its been a heck of a series. I just hope we can pull it out , I keep waiting for Prince to kick it into gear and it just hasn't happened. Hopefully tomorrow night he will. Well hey enjoy the game! You should go to the Palace and watch it with 22,000 of your closest friends

What Moves Me?? Pistons winning back-to-back!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

making an appointment..... mine isn't that cold
Old 06-23-2005, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when running ac make sure ac button is on, and the button below it.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, when they test it, they are supposed to test it with THE DOOR OPEN!!!!! Don't let them fool you and close it. The test, in the repair manual, clearly states that they must leave the driver's side door open when testing.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by yaron_usa
also, when they test it, they are supposed to test it with THE DOOR OPEN!!!!! Don't let them fool you and close it. The test, in the repair manual, clearly states that they must leave the driver's side door open when testing.
out of curiosity....what does that do? whats the difference between testing door open or closed? aren't they just checking the air straight from the vents?
Old 06-23-2005, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member

Checking the air with the door open when on recirculate lets some of the cool air out of the car so the A/C has to work harder. now when you come from AZ like me there is just no way to drop over 70 degrees (today was 111) but the air should have at least a 45-55 degree difference.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually, I think they want to test ONLY the air coming out of the vent, no matter what is the temp outside. With the door closed, air will collect. The expected range of temp is indicated in the manual. that's true gokart, they also MUST press recirculate, I forgot about that.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ct_noicS
Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
yea sorry guys last time for me off the topic.....

I agree....I truly think both teams are deserving of the title....its been a heck of a series. I just hope we can pull it out , I keep waiting for Prince to kick it into gear and it just hasn't happened. Hopefully tomorrow night he will. Well hey enjoy the game! You should go to the Palace and watch it with 22,000 of your closest friends

What Moves Me?? Pistons winning back-to-back!!!
too bad San Antonio has taken the title ! I mean they will tomorrow, but it;s practically a sure thing so you can think of it as something that's already happened. Maybe the Pistons will win once again maybe in 20-25 years or so
Old 06-23-2005, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the AVERAGE automotive air conditioner only cools 30 degrees below outside temp. The recirculation door does help, air being drawn from inside the car will be cooler then air being drawn from outside. If outside temp is 100 degrees, hot air is being pulled through the evaporator making warmer air come out the vents with recirc off.

as for checking a/c temp with the door open, i'm guessing that they expect the car to be indoors or in a shop. shop temp will be cooler then sitting outside in the sun....

Quick Reply: air conditioning