Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Air Filter

Should I get this K&N air filter? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33659

It claims a 6-8 HP gain, and with the TRD exhaust will this do much? It isn't too expensive, so I am thinking about it, plus I like the sound. Should I get it? Anyone have experience with this mod??

BRice
Old 12-16-2004, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just a K&N filter by it's self is not going ot give you 6-8HP. Even the TRD exhaust deesn't give that much. Though if you did just put the filter in you might see a bit of increase in your MPG, feel, and less maintence in filters. I have just the K&BN in my P5. Though I'll just wait to by a cold air intake instead of just getting a filter to replace the stock one.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

ClubLexus did a test with a drop-in K&N filter, and the dyno showed a LOSS of power, by about 1-2hp. Turns out the stock Denso filters are pretty damn good. If you modify your intake, go CAI or short ram.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, I want to get a CAI, but from the dealer, so it's under warranty, when is that coming out?

BRice
Old 12-16-2004, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the trd exhaust does nothing, but make it sound a little meaner, maybe 4 hp at the crank. you won't notice any power gain
Old 12-17-2004, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
ClubLexus did a test with a drop-in K&N filter, and the dyno showed a LOSS of power, by about 1-2hp. Turns out the stock Denso filters are pretty damn good. If you modify your intake, go CAI or short ram.
Two things... i wonder if this is really true. and if it is, is it the same thing with the TRD air filter? I was thinking about getting it.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I can find the link. . . it'll take me a LONG time. . . it was a test for the LS400, first or second gen.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member

Default K&N

Most of the Dyno I saw... K&N filter will increase HP from 2000 RPM and up. It might not add a whole lot of HP but it's washable... Will save you more money in the long run.

I alway just get the drop in type... Easy... I am not good at doing mechanic stuff...
Old 12-17-2004, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

K&N filters are not just useless as performance improvers, they can also cause real damage to your engine and/or emission control systems. Some of the oil in the K&N filter will wick off and then become attached to the downstream MAFS, mass airflow sensor. That will result in false air intake volume/flow indications to the engine ECU and you will end up driving with the wrong fuel mixture.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ms Jackal
K&N filters are not just useless as performance improvers, they can also cause real damage to your engine and/or emission control systems. Some of the oil in the K&N filter will wick off and then become attached to the downstream MAFS, mass airflow sensor. That will result in false air intake volume/flow indications to the engine ECU and you will end up driving with the wrong fuel mixture.
Just wondering... If above quote is true, then shouldn't we also worry about Injen, or any other cotten based washable airfilter? Other than for those made out of steel mash, all the others are washed with water, then applied filter oil, no?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default Re: K&N

Originally Posted by sunnylee
Most of the Dyno I saw... K&N filter will increase HP from 2000 RPM and up. It might not add a whole lot of HP but it's washable... Will save you more money in the long run.

I alway just get the drop in type... Easy... I am not good at doing mechanic stuff...
They key word is "most." Toyota products are generally developed very well. Our OEM oil filters are absolutely top notch! I'm not 100% sure about our air filters, but with the Lexus test, the Denso air filter (paper and disposable, like ours) outperformed the K&N filter. The air filters in the all Scions are also made by Denso. I would highly doubt a significant gain in performance. And like the Lexus test, there is a CHANCE of a performance loss. Best idea for gains, increase the intake tubing diameter, and decrease the number/angle of bends. In other words, get a CAI/short ram.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Greddy Airnix or the HKS Super-Mega flow intake for me... I'm putting one of the two on when I boost my car. They use foam.