Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Arch scratch in rear hatch of tC. Am i the only ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Arch scratch in rear hatch of tC. Am i the only ONE?

Soon after buying my tC, I noticed that the rear hatch window had a somewhat arch scratch across it on both sides. This even extended into part of the paint on the rear fender sides (this fortunately disappeared when i waxed it). I didnt think much of it because i thought maybe i caused it, but the other day at the dealership i was looking at another Flint Mica they had and it had the same arch across the back. IT was worse on that one. Anyone else experience this or know where it might be from? I would guess from shipping at some point.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Arch scratch in rear hatch of tC. Am i the only ONE?

Originally Posted by Caedel
Soon after buying my tC, I noticed that the rear hatch window had a somewhat arch scratch across it on both sides. This even extended into part of the paint on the rear fender sides (this fortunately disappeared when i waxed it). I didnt think much of it because i thought maybe i caused it, but the other day at the dealership i was looking at another Flint Mica they had and it had the same arch across the back. IT was worse on that one. Anyone else experience this or know where it might be from? I would guess from shipping at some point.
Have this same exact problem reported it but dealer didn't reply back to me...
Old 09-21-2004, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would guess a number of people have this issue. Mine is very obvious in the glass. I didnt think to contact the dealer but i suppose there is nothing they are going to do.

It's something people should watch for when purchasing their tCs.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe if enough people have this problem you could send this to the scion HQ and see what can be done.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it a scratch or residue from the adhesive on the paint protection plastic that goes on for shipping? If it is a scratch, maybe it's from cutting off the plastic or something.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:51 AM
Bel
5 Year Member

I was able to scrape it off. It was some sort of adhesive and came off after the 2nd or 3rd car wash.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pics?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:37 AM
Bel
5 Year Member

its 10 30 over here..ill post pics tomorrow if you want.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's shipping glue. Not a scratch.

I picked up my car in the dark so I didn't see it on mine right away. The next day I did, and I was like "wtf?!". It was a giant arch that went from above my gas cap, across the bottom of my window, to my antenna on the other side.

When I went back to the dealership to give them the check I told my salesperson about and you should've seen him SPRINT out to the car to see. He got his boss to look at it too.

Finally someone said it was just adhesive glue that held on the white covers during shipping. They took it around back and had it cleaned off, it seems fine now, I think.

I say I think because this morning with the dew on my car the part below that mark and in the shape of it was, well, dewed differently then the rest of the window..
Old 09-21-2004, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I know I had this problem, too, but I'm not sure if it's just glue or really a scratch. It's dark now so I can't see it, but I'll check on it tomorrow. I washed my car today, but I guess I was used to seeing it that I don't remember if it's still there or not. I remember it being a deep scratch in the window, leading down to the top of the "trunk" part. It really bothered me, but I tried to not let it get to me that much. I've always been super picky about everything...and I notice the slightest things with my car.

*5 minutes later*

Okay. I went out with a flashlight, and I noticed that the same scratches are there. There are 3 in the window. They're easily felt with a nail. They didn't look really deep, but like I said, it's dark and all I had was a flashlight. I know that they were in an arc down to the painted area, but I'm sure I used Scratch X on it. I think the other tC I had was the one with the deep scratch in the window.

Anyway, my point is, mine are scratches, not glue. They are only on the driver's side, but that's not to say that I didn't have any more damage from careless techs (scratches on hatch by Scion logo, by antenna, inside door handle, passenger door, etc.). Like I said, I notice everything. lol

- Desi
Old 09-21-2004, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some of it was able to get off just by rubbing it out, but on one of my windows there is a scratch, you can catch your nail it it. My dealership will be replacing my window.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 99% sure mine is a scratch. I will try to work it away later, but i have washed the car 8 or so times already and i dont think glue would be so hardcore. It feels that my nail goes into the scratch.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 100% sure mine is glue. I took some WINDEX and elbow grease to it and that sucker is finally gone. End of discussion!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You throw away your %'s like nothing Caedel

first 99% it's a scratch

Then 100% its glue.