Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Bad review for tC

Old 02-06-2004, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Bad review for tC

I just was readin through the new "Automobile" magazine and they werent too impressed by the new tC. There was just a little paragraph about it with a pic. But they said "When you are out of design ideas, copy your betters and hope no one notices. BMW side-glass profile and 'eyebrows' Audi square grille....not an original square inch on this sad coupe" I guess that means they really didnt like it.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Again its all out of jealousy....everyone is ____ed off at Toyota for bring out the Scion brand because Toyota is getting the idea that...this is actually what people are wanting...something interesting and not normal....and CHEAP
Old 02-06-2004, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Bad review for tC

just remember that they are not in the targeted demographics...hell, they fit the buick demo quite well! if i recall, they weren't too impressed with neither of the x's either.
and didn't scion state that they used the 3 series as a design inspiration, and that most in the demo aspired to owning a 3 series? if so, then scion did a good job design wise.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member

I'd be the first to say I wish toyota came up with something a little more original when desgning the tC. Evenso, the tC is a pretty good look'n car even if it heavily barrows from other auto designs. A nice design that looks simular to others is better than a unique design thats ugly.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member

Default I got it

Scion being a inexpensive "Good" vehicle, being compare to BMW, Audi likes.
He've got it, (Just didn't know it yet) This is not bad new, it's GREAT news.
Think about it. You got it?

As for original, I don't know about you, but i always wanted a 3 coupe but 40k seem a bit much. 16k :mrgreen: would be perfect
Old 02-07-2004, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

me likes the tc, but i agree, that the lines etc. aren't that original. What IS original is the pricing and all the included amenities.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

car co.'s are always "borrowing" styling cues from each other. i say take it and run as long as it looks good!
Old 02-07-2004, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member

Maybe Toyota did not pay much of the advertisement fees. Well, TC to me look similar to its other Toyota and Japanese car but with better looking. At first, I thought it is Honda, but TC is better than that. I don't know why they compare to BMW and Audi?? Take ideas from other car to improve is good for us, but who copy who and why we care.... We only care the car perfomance well and looks good.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

isn't this the same magazine that ranted on the Xa and Xb a while back? Giving them a horrible review or something? if so, what do these guys have against scion sheesh?!

Rafael
Old 02-07-2004, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dinkjs
Again its all out of jealousy....everyone is ____ed off at Toyota for bring out the Scion brand because Toyota is getting the idea that...this is actually what people are wanting...something interesting and not normal....and CHEAP
i doubt it's because of jealousy. there's no area of interest in sales of cars from automobile mag. if they don't like it, they don't like it. a magazine article is still just one person's opinion.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i stopped taking automobile seriously after they just continued to praise chrysler after chyrsler for being so "REVOLUTIONARY" apparently revolutionary design equals common rental car status to them. and jean lindamood is sooooo lame and annoying.

however
jamie kitman is an excellent writer and for a new yorker has an uncommon sense of the american automotive psyche.he makes the magazine pickupable. the design guy robert cumberford i think has a very keen eye. when he takes and breaks down vehicle exterior design his explinations are amazing. he did a breakdown on the aztek that finally explained WHY from a design standpoint its such an offensive vehicle.( i dunno if he wrote that about the tc, but ill bet it was lindamood) david e davis is of coarse a autowriting legend but hes wayyy out of touch.

if anything the tc looks like a subdued honda which is what honda seems to be forgeting how to do. trust me i like the tc and i intend zero dis.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Automobile magazine is catered to older rich people....and looking the way Chrysler is making there own cars.....of course Automobile is going to just love them....Chyrsler sucks.....I hate my eclipse just for the sheer reason it has the chyrsler motor in it.....another reason I will never buy the Dodge SRT-4
Old 02-07-2004, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

. he did a breakdown on the aztek that finally explained WHY from a design standpoint its such an offensive vehicle.( i dunno if he wrote that about the tc, but ill bet it was lindamood) david e davis is of coarse a autowriting legend but hes wayyy out of touch.
quote]

speaking of ugly, i saw that chrysler crossfire last nite in the parkinglot, and it's even uglier than in the ads. :oops:
Old 02-07-2004, 04:53 PM
wit
5 Year Member

you guys who are online check out spike tv now!!!! they are doing test on the Scion Xa and Xb
Old 02-08-2004, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member

Whenever I pick up an Automobile mag I aways read jamie kitman's bit. He is good. I also always enjoy robert cumberford's design bit too. It's pretty unique. No other car mag I know talks about the outside design. Even if they did it would be from someguys personal opionion. They wouldn't look at from a design aspect like cumberford does.

By the way, Automobile had a comlumist (forget which one) say that the mini was the first car specially developed for ___ men. ____ed me off, I think the mini is cool.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

cool beans cooper glad im not alone on that assesment. i never read about the mini being design for ___ men though. :? kind of an odd statement to make i think.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

minis for gays? what? thats crazy.

i know that when i usually see a vw cabrio or beetle, or older neon it's usually a girl.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Some cars just look funny with a guy driving it, some cars look funny if a girl drives it. When a younger guy is driving a new beetle and trying to be cool, i cant help but laugh. (sorry if you have one and your a guy) When an older guy drives it, i think nothing of it. He's old, he was probably a hippie (like my parents were). But the mini is a totally different car. If you have ever been in one, you know what I mean, that thing is though! Its a bad ___ little car! So for someone to say the mini is for ___ men, obviously has never been in one.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Autobile magazine is rediculous. If I'm not mistaken (it was a few month ago and I can't remember), they trashed the xB and praised the xA before they were realeased, and then after the sales report first came out, they had nothing but good things to say about the xB. Then they listed some of the wrong equipment for the xB, saying that some of the standard equipment was actually optional. Poor reporting.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:32 PM
jjp
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Just not exciting

I don't think "exciting" is a good word to describe the way the tC looks. It is a very CLEAN looking car, with simple lines, but "exciting" is reserved for something that conveys a little more energy than this car.

I agree with the article that the tC is am amalgamation of different cars (especially since Toyota said they were looking to the Audi A4 / BMW 3 Series for inspiration), but it still looks quite good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad review for tC