Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Brake Pads & Power Steering Fluid for tc 09 5.0 serie

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 PM

Default Brake Pads & Power Steering Fluid for tc 09 5.0 serie

Any good Brake Pads ? and a good Power Steering Fluid? Should I buy from the dealer or in an autoshop like autozone etc, or get it online?
NOTE: I have a scion tc 09 5.0 release series with 22,000 miles.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.trdsparks.com/
Old 01-29-2012, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why do you need power steering fluid? And please put your topics together if they all pertain to the same basic thing.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by RoboCop
Why do you need power steering fluid? And please put your topics together if they all pertain to the same basic thing.
To replace the one I have. Needs to be change.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:12 PM
SL Member

For normal street use pretty much anything from a reputable seller will be fine. The question is why does your power steering fluid need to be changed. 22K miles is a very short time to have to change it out (very short for the brake pads too but that has more to do with usage rather than mileage) and if my memory serves me that is well below the recommended interval for the car.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you checked your brake pads yet to see how much life you have on them yet? As stated by some other people, pads wear based of usage so you can't really use mileage to determine their life span. In regards to the power steering fluid, I don't know at what intervals it should be changed, but you can look through this recommended maintenance schedule that I found on my local Toyota's website. Hope it helps.

http://www.mercedtoyota.com/service/pricing.htm

Look for your vehicle under the Scion.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't change my front pads until 60k and they still had some meat on them.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 PM

I just checked my brake pads today and they are getting thin. I did check on them because everytime I pushed the brakes I could hear a little noise sometimes. Anyways, I just want to get the brake pads so I have them. I saw these TRD's in this website: http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_dtl=633&Part_cat=11&parts_id=715
The question I have about this TRD brake pads is if they will fit fine in my 09 scion tc with the regular brake kit that came from the factory to all the tc's.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by 10gxiong
Have you checked your brake pads yet to see how much life you have on them yet? As stated by some other people, pads wear based of usage so you can't really use mileage to determine their life span. In regards to the power steering fluid, I don't know at what intervals it should be changed, but you can look through this recommended maintenance schedule that I found on my local Toyota's website. Hope it helps.

http://www.mercedtoyota.com/service/pricing.htm

Look for your vehicle under the Scion.
Thanks for this. It gave me an idea of what needs to be done for maintenance in my tc.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have an 09 and need pads already?? you must be hard on your brakes. Had my car for 4 1/2 years and Im just now need to replace them.

look at dezod.com they have good deals on pads and stuff.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ08tC
you have an 09 and need pads already?? you must be hard on your brakes. Had my car for 4 1/2 years and Im just now need to replace them.

A lot of people like to just replace them with more of a performance pad, but in his case it appears that he rode it hard.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:34 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by nayo305
I just checked my brake pads today and they are getting thin. I did check on them because everytime I pushed the brakes I could hear a little noise sometimes. Anyways, I just want to get the brake pads so I have them. I saw these TRD's in this website: http://www.trdsparks.com/displayparts.php?Mdl_dtl=633&Part_cat=11&parts_id=715
The question I have about this TRD brake pads is if they will fit fine in my 09 scion tc with the regular brake kit that came from the factory to all the tc's.
Given that the link says OEM Size that would be yes. You do realize however that these are just front breaks and you will still need a rear set.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by DJ08tC

Well brother, from 2009 to 2012, its been 3 years now, the pads aren't that bad, but I could replace them for a better performance, TRD's.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Esh Darkstar
Given that the link says OEM Size that would be yes. You do realize however that these are just front breaks and you will still need a rear set.
Guess what? I didn't know that. Do you know what OEM stands for? So this are only for the front. Where can I get the rear set? TRD's
Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 PM
SL Member

Guess what? I didn't know that. Do you know what OEM stands for? So this are only for the front. Where can I get the rear set? TRD's
OEM means "original equipment from manufacturer" (hey, we can't all know everything, all we can do is learn what we can).

TRD Sparks would probably be the best place to ask. I would send them an email and ask them. If TRD makes them, they will have them or at the very least be able to get them. There is the possibility that TRD just doesn't make rear pads for stock calipers. This would be due to the fact that front brakes take significantly more of the braking load than the rears. Anyways, contact Sparks and they will be able to give you the answer you need.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rears barely take any wear compared to the fronts. My rears started to squeal and so I got new rear brake pads and when I took the old ones out, they were not even half way worn down. This was at the beginning of January(this year) and I had replaced only my fronts a year and a half ago when they got low. Rear brake pads probably aren't necessary and if you aren't tracking your car, you shouldn't need much more performance than stock pads. If anything, get better tires for better stopping power. Brake pads do nothing if the rubber won't stick.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how about porterfield? they make a nice performance street pad called the R4-S. not cheap but it's excellent in performance.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well brother, from 2009 to 2012, its been 3 years now, the pads aren't that bad, but I could replace them for a better performance, TRD's.
Sorry to burst your bubble but if the pads aren't warn down how is replacing them with new pads going to give you more stopping performance? If anything the old pads will give you more since they contour with the rotor.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also have an 09 RS 5.0 (for now). I still have a lot of life left in my front & rear pads, and I haven't had any power steering issues. In fact I haven't had any issues at all in the time I've owned it. I plan on selling the car though and picking up an FRS in the spring. It currently has 28k miles.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by TTCCC
Sorry to burst your bubble but if the pads aren't warn down how is replacing them with new pads going to give you more stopping performance? If anything the old pads will give you more since they contour with the rotor.
Uh, he did say that they were getting thin so unless he posts pics or measurements of how thick the pads are we really don't know if the do need changed. Also to make the claim that replacing pads won't improve brake performance flies in the face of what brake manufacturers put out. Are you saying that they are wrong?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Brake Pads & Power Steering Fluid for tc 09 5.0 serie