2005-2010 [ANT10]

Break-in for tC

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Break-in for tC

i did a search, and couldn't find my question, so don't flame at me!! now, all my friends say that the break in for the tC is at 500 miles, which is what i thought too. but my dealer says the break in is at 1500. is this right?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

split the difference between the two- it's 1000. Enjoy your new tC!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Break-in for tC

Originally Posted by otacon88
i did a search, and couldn't find my question, so don't flame at me!! now, all my friends say that the break in for the tC is at 500 miles, which is what i thought too. but my dealer says the break in is at 1500. is this right?
The way it goes, from what I know. Any gas engine keep below 4,000rpm for the first 500 miles. Try not to stay at 1 rpm during this time either, very it as much as you can & no WOT take offs & such. For the next 500 miles keep it below 6,000rpm. Now not to many cars go above this but I learned this stuff from motorcycle gas engines so I would think it still flys in this case. Thats what I know so you can take it as you want.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what are you going to do after you break it in ? are you going to race it ??
Old 08-25-2004, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CDX8
so what are you going to do after you break it in ? are you going to race it ??
To get a little off topic CDX8 your web page looks to much like www.echodrivers.com you should change it up some.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah break in is pretty simple.. just be gentle on the engine.. i've had mine up to 65 already.. but i vary the speeds.. a little while at 60.. then 55.. up to 60 again.. back to 50.. if it was 45.. a little at 40.. then 50.. then 45.. always varying the spped..
nice to be able to do this out on country roads (paved).. i'm not worried.. haven't been on the highway though (80 is the norm there).. and i won't get on the highway until it's broken in.. haven't had any WOT (wide open throttle) starts.. just gentle.. it's got way more power than my old civic.. so i just barely get on the gas and it's already gone.. not compared to the civic where you had to really rev it to get going.. (annoying after awhile)..

the key is be gentle.. you can get up to 60-65 like i have.. just be gentle.. and the brakes are the same way.. start slowing way ahead of time.. don't just jam on them to make the jerk behind you happy.. let them go around you.. screw em.. i've figured these first 1000 miles are going to set the tone for the rest of the engine's life.. be gentle do it right.. you can have fun with it later..

seems to be breaking in and the power is smoother and smoother as it breaks in.. i've got 250 miles on it.. brakes usually take 200-300 miles to break in (seat in).. i've noticed my brakes are getting more responsive now.. can't wait til it's broken in completely and i can really see what this thing can do!!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

700 Miles left to break in. So far I have been getting smoked by civics, integras, even grandmas. Only if they knew I am breaking this puppy in.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

heres a bit of a delema.... its almost unavoidable that my new tc will have a 200 mile trek for its first real drive from the dealer to school... alot of the drive is a 65mph speedlimit (jersey turnpike, garden state, penn turnpike).... any tips, ideas, opinions of what i should do about the drive... ill only have 50 miles on the car (roughly)
Old 08-26-2004, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcwannab
heres a bit of a delema.... its almost unavoidable that my new tc will have a 200 mile trek for its first real drive from the dealer to school... alot of the drive is a 65mph speedlimit (jersey turnpike, garden state, penn turnpike).... any tips, ideas, opinions of what i should do about the drive... ill only have 50 miles on the car (roughly)
simple.. slowly get up to about 60mph.. and vary your speed.. never keeping it at one speed.. slow down for a couple miles to 55.. then up to 60.. then up to 65.. back down to 60.. down to 55.. toyota's manual talks about never keeping it at the same speed for long periods of time.. if you vary the speed you'll do fine..
Old 08-26-2004, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
simple.. slowly get up to about 60mph.. and vary your speed.. never keeping it at one speed.. slow down for a couple miles to 55.. then up to 60.. then up to 65.. back down to 60.. down to 55.. toyota's manual talks about never keeping it at the same speed for long periods of time.. if you vary the speed you'll do fine..
thanks! thats what i thought just wasn't sure what speed to take it to...there goes my hopes of using cruise control
Old 08-26-2004, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If your new tC is your only means of transportation, you have no choice. Just like everyone else said, don't stay at a speed or rpm too long, don't WOT, try to stay under 4k rpm.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol.. awww too bad.. no cruise.. but a properly broken in engine.. lol.. yeah cruise is going to be nice once i can use it as well.. hey enjoy the new tC.. i've got 250 on mine in less than a week.. it's great!
Old 08-26-2004, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
lol.. awww too bad.. no cruise.. but a properly broken in engine.. lol.. yeah cruise is going to be nice once i can use it as well.. hey enjoy the new tC.. i've got 250 on mine in less than a week.. it's great!
sweet! cant wait to get back into the most comfortable seats iv ever sat in, be safe and show park is your friend
Old 08-26-2004, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah the seats definitely grow on ya.. at first they were uncomfortable.. but i was use to the mushy civic seats.. these seats are definitely as good as some recaro's.. i think scion did a great job.. hey enjoy your tC.. let us know how it goes..