Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

A/C issue..

Old 11-15-2007, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default A/C issue..

I've asked about this before to no avail... here I go again. (I did search, too... only finding my last post.)

In about 80F weather, I turned off the car ... filled the tank. Turned it back on... and the A/C would no longer blow.... at all. I checked fuses... checked gas cap. Then left the station. After about 20 minutes on the freeway it kicked back on, but ever since the A/C doesn't seem to blow as hard. (could be in my head?) It does blow cold.... just the force isn't as much. ALSO... when the A/C is on I now hear a slight buzzing kind of sound from the glove box area... the loudness is dependent on how hard I have the A/C blowing (harder = louder).

Anyone have a suggestion? Blower motor?

Thanks in Advance, gang!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-02-2018 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you might want to check the blower fan relay. Did the fan blow at all? If it did, and the a/c wouldn't come on, then you might be low on r-134a (refridgerant) due to a leak. There is a pressure switch on the condensor that can tell if there is no refridgerant, which basically shuts the system off to protect the compressor. So let me know if the fan blew air at all.

And it's just coincidence that you stopped for gas, then started again.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah I shouldve been clearer.... the fan would not blow at all. If I wanted the heater.... defroster... anything.... I couldn't do it. I could see the display and the bar would go up and down... but there simple was nothing coming out of the vents.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HughDTX
yeah I shouldve been clearer.... the fan would not blow at all. If I wanted the heater.... defroster... anything.... I couldn't do it. I could see the display and the bar would go up and down... but there simple was nothing coming out of the vents.
couple things to check, heater relay (trying to locate where it is), the HTR (heater) 40A fuse/relay? in the fuse box (front right of engine bay, by the battery), it's the 2nd from the bottom on the left. there should be a blank on the lower left as you look at the fuse panel there in the engine. The HTR is the one right above the lower left one. Hope that makes sense. If that fuse is okay, then off to the relay, i know there is one, but I can't locate it yet. Unless that HTR is the relay in the fuse box. Looking it up now it almost looks like that location IS the relay.

Then there is the blower motor control which is located on the blower motor itself
It's on the bottom of the fan (towards the passenger foot well). Two screws hold it in, and a connector to take it off. Quick search online $60 for the relay, $160 for the blower motor control. Yes original toyota parts http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...47&catalogid=0

but i don't know what year yours is. probably says it in your signature, but i didn't get out of this text window to check.

But there are some things to check, unless you want to pay a dealer to do the work. That's what you're looking at checking
Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

DUDE thank you so much. That def. gives me a good head start on poking around... I am confident I can order the parts and fix it myself if it's any of those probs. If I can't diagnose it I'll just take it in (out of warranty, of course).

Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sure no problem, glad to help. let us know how it turns out
Old 05-18-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
sure no problem, glad to help. let us know how it turns out
I'm having the some problem Hugh. I'll check those things, but I'd like to know how yours turned out.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds to me like something is Caught in the Blower if it's making noise.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I wanting to see if anyone heard an update on this issue. My car is having the same problem. It did it once or twice last year, but it was toward the end of the summer. It didn't happen again all winter long, so I forgot about it. The last few weeks in GA have been hot, and the car did it to me a few times in the last few days. I first crank it up and everythings good. Then if I make a stop and start the car back up again, sometimes it will work, sometimes not. If I take my hand and lightly tap the side of the fan motor (passenger side) it will come back on and work fine unless I stop again.

When I turn it on, I can hear the compressor kick on and a relay pull in under the dash. I think its in the motor itself. Almost like when it sits in the hot sun for a few, somethings swells up and binds up?? Anyone got any ideas?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What was the verdict on this guys? I am having the exact same issue. A/C works and gets cold. Buzzing sound from near the glove box for some time now and now the blower doesn't come on sometimes.

TIA
Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 AM

See my a/c blows hard, and cold, but I have the faint ticking/buzzing noise coming from the glove box area too!...The harder it blows, the faster the ticking/buzzing becomes
Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What year is your tC? Mine is early 2006 build. Maybe the fan motor is going out? Bad batch of motors. My blower motor has always made a buzzing/ticking sound.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by guerro
What year is your tC? Mine is early 2006 build. Maybe the fan motor is going out? Bad batch of motors. My blower motor has always made a buzzing/ticking sound.
the celica had the same blower motor as the tC and they have reported the same ticking when the blower motor begins to fail. If it is not something stuck in the blades like a leaf then it's the bearings in the fan that are dying. Do an internet search for celica blower motor and you'll see it's over a couple of different forums.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks