Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Desperately need A/C help on 2005 xB

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:05 PM

Default Desperately need A/C help on 2005 xB

So the other day I was using the car lighter and since it doesn't stay in I held it (stupid I know) and blew the fuse, that took out stereo, power mirrors, cig lighter, etc... Easy fix, found the 7.5 ma fuse under the dash and replaced it and everything worked again with the exception of the A/C, which I didn't even realize wasn't working until then. It was working earlier that day though. I've read enough to know that this particular model doesn't have the normal relay and verified that the slot in the engine fuse panel for the A/C relay is non functional. My question: is there any fuse/relay/electrical component I can check before taking it to a mechanic/dealership to be told I need a whole new compressor/AC system. The blower works normal in all for settings, I'm pretty sure the compressor is working, but the air isn't getting cold and the light on the A/C button doesn't come on.

It's my girlfriends car and she's convinced the cig lighter blew the A/C but everything I've read on these particular cars is they have a lot of A/C problems and I'm hoping it's just really bad timing but if it is related to fuse/electrical and I can check or fix it before taking it the dealership I will. Any advice is helpful. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:05 AM

I was hoping there was something I could check with the switch. Any place on the internet I can look for directions? I was thinking about getting the Chilton manual but would rather not.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShawnMcc
So the other day I was using the car lighter and since it doesn't stay in I held it (stupid I know) and blew the fuse, that took out stereo, power mirrors, cig lighter, etc... Easy fix, found the 7.5 ma fuse under the dash and replaced it and everything worked again with the exception of the A/C, which I didn't even realize wasn't working until then. It was working earlier that day though. I've read enough to know that this particular model doesn't have the normal relay and verified that the slot in the engine fuse panel for the A/C relay is non functional. My question: is there any fuse/relay/electrical component I can check before taking it to a mechanic/dealership to be told I need a whole new compressor/AC system. The blower works normal in all for settings, I'm pretty sure the compressor is working, but the air isn't getting cold and the light on the A/C button doesn't come on.

It's my girlfriends car and she's convinced the cig lighter blew the A/C but everything I've read on these particular cars is they have a lot of A/C problems and I'm hoping it's just really bad timing but if it is related to fuse/electrical and I can check or fix it before taking it the dealership I will. Any advice is helpful. Thank you.

Odd. I wasn't able to get my AC functioning until AFTER I put a fuse in the engine bay fuse slot.

That said, you might have blown your Air Conditioning Amplifier. I replaced mine, ended up with two of them in the process. So if you need one, email me via this forum as I'm not on very often.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is complicated; wish you the best of luck