2005-2010 [ANT10]

Car noises fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Car noises fixed!

I posted this at the end of a long since dead thread so I figured I'd make a new post so maybe more people will take a look at it. It's been a while since I've been able to browse the board but I thought I'd take the time to make a post an update on my car noises. To set things up:

Moonroof - a lot of creaks and sounds coming from it when it was completely closed or open at the first and second stops. No noises when it was open all the way.

Glove box - made noise from what I determined to be the lid hitting the dash when the car was moving. If I pushed the lid in towards the dash the noise would go away, pretty simple.

Seatbelt - the female end of the assembly would creak when I would breath in and out. Very annoying to say the least.

After 2 failed attempts of getting my moonroof noises fixed from my local dealership I decided to get Scion Headquarters involved. I had been told on two different occasions that my moonroof noises had been fixed after a day of the dealership working on my car and both times they were wrong. I didn't want to take it back a third time because I didn't want to be jerked around again and I was already ticked off about the whole situation.

As a side note I had also inquired about getting my glove box and various other dash noises fixed with what I had heard was basically a standard noise reduction kit Toyota used on all their cars. It consisted of various pieces of felt with adhesive and so on. When I mentioned this to them they said there was no such thing and brushed it off. They said later in the day that when the took all my stuff out of the glove box because that was what was making the noise. Don't even get me started on that "fix." Talk about an insult to my intelligence.

After calling Scion it took about 2 weeks to finally get something set up. They said I could either let the dealership give it another try or have someone from Scion get involved. After discussing the situation with them we decided it would be best to get someone else involved to get the issues solved in an appropriate manner. We set up a test drive at the same local dealership with a tech guy that was very high up and had a lot of experience. On the test drive the moonroof made plenty of noises and the tech guy had plenty to work with. He said he had dealt with a few tC's with moonroof problems in the past. Unfortunately the glove box and seatbelt didn't make their normal noises but he said he would take care of it.

Later that afternoon I got a call that my car was ready. All three trouble spots had been fixed. That was about 2 weeks ago and none of the noises have come back. Here is what they did to fix the problems:

Moonroof - they determined that there was a lot of play in the wind deflector set up. The way the arms that push up the deflector where connected was loose. This was the design by the way, which would seem to be the reason a ton of people have problems with the moonroof. To fix the problem they took the wind deflector assembly off of a brand new Tc and replaced it. The design must have changed because it is noticably different from the old style. They also put lube on all the joints and what not. For the record he said my moonroof was the worst he had ever come across in regards to noises. Remember, this was after the dealership "fixed" it twice already.

Glove box - they put the felt tape on it...simple as that. By the way, I mentioned to the super tech when I dropped the car off about the noise reduction kit and he knew exactly what I was talking about.

Seatbelt - they put lube on it...another simple fix.

He also tried to take care of some of the dash noises which seem to plague the tC due to its design. It helped a bit. I still have a bad buzzing sound coming from the center console area I can't seem to track down.

Any ways, once I got Scion involved it was a much better experience from me. The rep at Scion called me every few days to get an update or to give me an update. Very polite and very professional. The super tech listened to what I said and made me feel confident he would fix the problems once and for all. (He told me a story of how earlier in the week he had spent about 2 hours being driven around in the trunk of a Camry trying to find the location of a noise.) They also just called me yesterday and are going to give me a $300 credit towards future work done to my car at the dealership. Might put it towards the SC if it ever comes out.

For a time I was seriously considering trading in my tC because it was just one big rattle and noise machine. Now aside from the occasional (and expected) noise and the center console noise which I plan to hunt down and fix, the car has taken on a whole new life for me. I just wanted to give Scion props for a job well done. Hopefully this story will help someone else in a similar situation.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info...i've been hearing some rattling that's coming from the hatch or something. Most likely it's probably the sunroof. I plan on taking it in to get it checked out.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BiG ReD
Thanks for the info...i've been hearing some rattling that's coming from the hatch or something. Most likely it's probably the sunroof. I plan on taking it in to get it checked out.
No, you probably have a hatch rattle like most of us. There is a TSB out that involves replacing the struts along with 10 other fixes that people have come up with. So far no one fix, fixes the hatch rattle for everyone.

Kevin
Old 08-11-2005, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the hatch too. My dealer said they would order the part and call me when it was in to fix it.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I had the same problem. My sunroof popped and creaked like crazy. When you close the door you can hear it rattle. Also when you knock on it, it rattles and makes a clang clang sound like all the screws were loose.

I took it to the dealer that sponsors the club that i am in thinking they would provide me with good service. totally wrong! i dropped off my car the next day they called me back and told me nothing was wrong. Went back told them there was a TSB for the roof (but i purposely did not bring up the TSB the first time so they can check the whole sunroof). He argued and said there wasn't one. Checked the computer and found it. I asked him to take a drive with me. After that he apologized and kept the car for a week and half. I guess they performed the TSB but didn't check any other screws or anything because when i knock on the sunroof it still makes the noise but when i drove the car it didn't pop. Right when i got home i enter the driveway POP! Called him up told him it wasn't fixed yet he told me to bring it back. My car was there for 1 1/2 weeks and they did NOTHING!!!

Decided to bring it to Longo since I had to get my free satellite radio installed. The service wasn't all that great but they fixed EVERYTHING! there is no more creaking popping rattling. If you live in Socal bring your car to Longo cause i brought my car to 2 other scion dealers really close by to longo and they SUCK!
Old 08-11-2005, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish my car didnt make noises.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member

Default center dash noise

I have an intermittent chirp or squeak from the center dash of my tc. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the ac/heat temp control dial, since I can press on that dial and the noise disappears. Noise happens mostly, but not always, on bumpy roads. Sometimes on smooth road, though. High pitched.

Anyone else having a similar problem? I'm in the middle of rural NW Iowa and the nearest Toyota dealers don't even sell Scions (bought mine back in Ohio). I'd love to have a better idea of what's wrong/what the fix is before taking it in.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: center dash noise

Originally Posted by Fountainpens
I have an intermittent chirp or squeak from the center dash of my tc. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the ac/heat temp control dial, since I can press on that dial and the noise disappears. Noise happens mostly, but not always, on bumpy roads. Sometimes on smooth road, though. High pitched.

Anyone else having a similar problem? I'm in the middle of rural NW Iowa and the nearest Toyota dealers don't even sell Scions (bought mine back in Ohio). I'd love to have a better idea of what's wrong/what the fix is before taking it in.

Thanks.
I have that one very very rarely, but it is the stereo cover door, I just havent bothered to fix it yet. I think some of the dealers know about this as well. But while I am working on the blue console led fix, I will figure out the door I guess.