Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Clutch Pedal Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had this happen to me also at the 3,000-5,000mile area....but for me it only lasted for about 1wk-2wk and so far i havnt had any problem with it im at 28,000miles now.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It only really happens when its damp or has been damp recently. When its nice and dry (like in the summer), it won't be much of a problem. Read through this thread, it's only 2 pages and it could be helpful to you all:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0
Old 12-25-2006, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
It only really happens when its damp or has been damp recently. When its nice and dry (like in the summer), it won't be much of a problem. Read through this thread, it's only 2 pages and it could be helpful to you all:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0
wow yea thanks, that did help.

And yea, its been rainy here lately!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aaaand, its back.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out: http://home.cfl.rr.com/icdedppl/faq.html

This website provides a lot of pertinent information about the tC. What I copied and pasted below is from the website and has helped me understand this "whistling" sound (not a duck sound) which used to bug me when I was accelerating at 3000RPM. Let me know if this helps:

f. engine and performance questions

1. when i accelerate, i hear a whistle noise coming from the tC engine. is this normal?
yes, this is completely normal. this is the sound of air as it makes its way through the air intake/throttle body in your engine as you accelerate. it makes more of a whistle/high pitched sound than most cars because of how the stock intack/throttle body was designed. it's speculated that scion designed them like this on purpose to try and replicate the sound of what a cai (cold air intake) makes when accelerating.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ is that the whistle you get in fourth gear? I really don't get it anywhere else, maybe a tiny bit in fifth, but never really below fourth.

I really love it, truth be told
Old 12-29-2006, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will hear the whistle when I get it in the higher gears, I think if I'm going at least 35mph and the tach is at 3000RPM I'll hear it... I took it to the dealer a month or two after I bought it, complaining about the whistle and they replaced the "master clutch" and only like 5 minutes after picking it up, sure enough, that whistle was still there.

Upon coming across the website I quoted (the website was brought up by one of our fellow members on our forum) I realized it's just a normal whistle.

Keep in mind, I can only hear this whistle. I try and having my wife hear it when she's sitting on the passenger seat, and she can't hear it.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The whistle is your intake sucking in air but I think this post is about clutch pedal squeak the shop fixed mine for a good bit but its back louder than ever
Old 02-07-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

mine just started squeaking two dyas ago but ive got almost 18000 miles and ive had the car for 7 months....im going to take it back when i can replicate it on a daily basis
Old 03-21-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to bring up an old post but my clutch has started to squeak recently.. not only does it squeak when I depress the clutch in. but it also squeaks when I let go of the gas in first gear and/or engage the gas again in first. I'm hoping that some of you guys have found a permanent solution to this problem. This squeaking problem is ridiculous. >=[
Old 03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, welcome to my life.

my tc clutch has been squeaking since day 1. i've taken it to 2 different dealerships, a total of at least 10 times. Its been lubed quite a few times. Most recently, they disassembled the tranny and lubed the whole clutch assembly.

Squeak came back EVERY TIME. definitely related to rain/moisture/humidity.

as far as i got with it, they told me it was either the clutch fork or throw out bearing.

i agree, it is RIDICULOUS. and even more ridiculous that there is no RECALL, or even TSB for this manufacturing/design flaw, and that toyota/scion doesn't seem to really care about it.

i got fed up with dealing with it (bringing the car in every other week, only to have the techs say they couldn't recreate the noise while the car was there!) so i filed a LEMON LAW case with 1800 my lemon.

i figure, either they'll get off their asses and fix it (new tranny or whatever it takes) OR if i have to indeed live with the horribly annoying squeak, i should at least get a rebate/money back for my trouble and the flaw causing a reduction in value of my car.

good luck. btw, i am [one of, if not the] a originator of this thread, or this type of thread on all scion forums. There has not been any solution found yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Every once in awhile, mine will pick up a squeak. Pop the hood, and there's the little rubber boot where the clutch cable enters the trans. Push the boot to the side, spray some lithium grease in there. Squeak gone.

Most people seem to think it's coming out of the footwell, and in 99% of instances, it's not. Open the hood and have someone mash the clutch for you a few times. Easy to locate the source.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
Every once in awhile, mine will pick up a squeak. Pop the hood, and there's the little rubber boot where the clutch cable enters the trans. Push the boot to the side, spray some lithium grease in there. Squeak gone.

Most people seem to think it's coming out of the footwell, and in 99% of instances, it's not. Open the hood and have someone mash the clutch for you a few times. Easy to locate the source.
x2. right on doc. thats exactly where it originates.

i actually had my daughter hold the video camera trained on that spot while i got in the car and played the clutch (literally and figuratively, its like a musical instrument lol!).

could clearly see right as the little prong thing starts to pull away from the rubber boot is when the squeak occurs.

hey doc---i'm surprised you haven't come up with a DIY fix-it for this issue yet! :D j/k lol...
Old 03-21-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I did!! White lithium grease in an aerosol can!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
I did!! White lithium grease in an aerosol can!
Nah, doesn't work. It comes back. Sometimes in hours/days/months. But it will come back. I've sprayed it with white lithium and so did the dealer...keeps coming back
Old 03-22-2007, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah my clutch pedal was squeakin when it was cold 3 weeks ago. Tried spraying silicone in there and that didn't work. Now the noise is gone but was wondering what it could be.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn, I knew that I wasn't the only one with thie problem but I didn't know that there were so many tc owners with this problem >=[ we should all write an angry letter to toyota voicing our complaints about this damned mystery squeak.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default cold weather...

I only get the clutch squeak when it's cold.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Griever
Damn, I knew that I wasn't the only one with thie problem but I didn't know that there were so many tc owners with this problem >=[ we should all write an angry letter to toyota voicing our complaints about this damned mystery squeak.
haha, well, i tried my best. unfortunately, thats akin to trying to corral a herd of wild elephants.

corporations don't fear a bunch of angry letters from customers.....they fear lawyers.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, its been squeaking intermittently the last week or so.

NOW its started up with the "clicking" again. same thing, during clutch play, depressing mostly, but releasing too. its almost like a 2-stage click. sounds metallic in nature. and sounds like F'ING CRAPhola. i mean, it really souns like the whole stinking tranny is about to break apart. well not really, but something is going to break.

basically, i took it to the dealer one time when it was doing it. a couple techs and the service writer came out to see it. as i sat in the car playing the clutch the tech was using a pry bar to do something to get the noise to stop (reassuring of the great quality of our car huh?). it did. temporarily.

so now, in addition to the one day i'm without my car this week for brakes, oil and tranny fluid change, and alignment...i will now have to bring the car into the dealership for the clutch (AGAIN!) for documentation for my lemon law case. haha. fun. i love my tc. sometimes....