Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Considering buying a Scion tC.... your thoughts?

Old 06-24-2007, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default Considering buying a Scion tC.... your thoughts?

Im considering getting a 2007 tC and have the following questions

a) Would you recommend a scion tC? (i know most ppl here are scion owners, but maybe youve had bad experiences with your tC)

b) How does the tC stack up to the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mitsubishi Lancer, and Hyundai Tiburon? (all similar price range)

c) Are there any upgrades that you feel are NECESSARY right off the bat?

Any other thoughts ?

I'll be selling my modded out '93 celica and replacing it with either a tC or one of the above mentioned cars.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Tiburon is an overpriced and underpowered car. It puts out very little for a V6 if you get the GT model. The 07 is 172 hp. I do really like the new Lancer though
Old 06-24-2007, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you have had a Celica in the past, the tC would be a good replacement. Of the 3 cars mentioned, I have a feeling the tC has the best aftermarket support. I wouldnt get the new Lancer b/c it's the 1st year of a new car so there could still be bugs. I would think about the Tib perhaps if I could get 1 for a good deal.... but acceleration is about the same I believe.
If youre getting a 5 speed tC, the 1st thing to do is short throw shifter.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ He's right,,, and the lancer changed it's looks to copy the tC haha. And considering the lancer is new. there might be problems that will rise. My Friend has a Tiburon and he hates it's guts. Style wise the tC is far better than any of those you mentioned. Not beacuse I have one. But the stare and the look that people give to the tC is proof that it is an eye catcher performance wise its tops. The eclipse is nice too though but I wont consider the Tiburon nor the new lancer. Narrow it down to two. the tC and the Eclipse. goodluck hope you get the tC. Just remember get the car that moves you
Old 06-24-2007, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Eclipse is like 300 lbs. and $2000 more. And the back seat is cramped (around 29" leg space).
But is less common than the Scion.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for some reason i just can not convince myself to like the new eclipse, even though i was a huge fan of the 2nd gen. I agree with everyone about the lancer. give them a year to work the bugs out. overall, the tc really has these cars beat!!!
Old 06-24-2007, 09:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I like the new Tiburon's they look really nice especially the front, I strongly considered buying one when I was shopping around. But when it came down to it I knew I would get a better value and bang for my buck factory by getting my tC. For around the same price range you get allot more with the tC than you do with the Tiburon.

Eclipse's are slow. They get heavier and heavier every time they drastically redesign it. It is only worth it is you get the GT model, otherwise it's worthless. The GS comes with a 4cyl that isin't very impressive and performs sluggishly from what I read.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the wife looked at eclipses, tibs, cobalt ss, etc ( new civic wasn't out at the time, and she won't loook at 4dr's ala subi or evo ). For the $$ the tc was the best overall value, in some cases having standard featuers we wanted ( ie abs ) that were only available on higher cost models of the other cars. And as TC's become more widely seen on the roads, they are still a nice looking "coupe". And it has given her the platform she's wanted to personalize her ride.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

In my opinion it depends what you're looking for in a car.. I would suggest the TC if your aggressive in personalizing/moding a car or fixin its issues.. lots of aftermarkets parts, lots of potentials. But if you're lookin for a car lets say more power or less rattles or less issues or whatsoever from the factory, with no plans moding /fixing/personalizing etc.. You may wana consider somethin else.. and more money of course..
As for tc its also a good daily driver that takes you from a to b and you'll be happy with it if you can deal with its issues.. like all cars have issues too..
In all yea get the tc.. with some issues.. fixable

and hey have you checked out the new mazda3? or if you're serious about power and can wait, next evos and subs are damn nice..

well good luck making your decision
Old 06-24-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Those new Lancers look mean as hell though. Sooo aggressive
Old 06-24-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have any bad experiences with my tC.
I'd say check out the Lancer, only because it's new style, and there aren't much on the road.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

the only bad experience i have and you might is rattles and paint chips. Other than that the tC is nice for its price. I was actually looking for a used Integra when i was car shopping but i saw a used tC and liked it. I went over to the Scion dealer and got a brand new one for the same price as the other dealer was selling the used one. Im glad i made my purchase. Over the 2yrs ive had the tC ive thought about tradding it in for something else, but i dont want a car payment forever which is why i stuck with the tC and im glad i did. Im in the process of getting my rattles fixed through the dealer. I would suggest to get the 08 model and then change out the tails and headlights if you dont like them. Im sure you can get someone on here to trade them with you since everyone drools over them. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2007, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I would check out the eclipse and the tC, then compare between the two.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I spent the last month testing all those cars........the Hyundai was dreadfully slugish............the Lancer was nice.........but did not like the look........the Eclipse was powerful,but the interior size was not at all comfy.............went with 08 tC.........very happy.........
Old 06-24-2007, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member

what has Scion changed between the 08 and 07 tC?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by redwing634
what has Scion changed between the 08 and 07 tC?
headlights, taillights, some audio and i the door handle inside changed color to silver. I dont think anything engine or chasis wise? Do a search for the 08 tC on here and im sure you can see the pictures everywhere. IMO its always better to go with the newer year but then again, they might of focused on something else which could be a problem? Go check it out at your dealer, they should have some? Mine had about 6 the other day i went.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yea check out the 08, some people are not in for it but its actually nice for me except the grill. do a search somebody posted pics of the changes of 08s. And better test drive it yourself
Old 06-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Aik
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Considering buying a Scion tC.... your thoughts?

Originally Posted by redwing634

i'd say suspension first. bone stock body roll is a little excessive. springs alone do pretty well for me but my car is more of a daily driver. if you plan to autox or just drive like a maniac, look into sway bars too (TRD and hotchikis are fairly common around here), shocks, struts etc.

definitely drive one for yourself though to compare to the other choices. it's a fun little 4banger for the money, and the first thing i noticed when i stepped in to test drive was that the car, for some reason, felt a lot more expensive than others i was looking at. maybe it's cause the doors are so heavy! ha ha.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:22 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the eclipse is purty tho.

to me.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 PM
SL Member

a) Would you recommend a scion tC?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

b) How does the tC stack up to the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mitsubishi Lancer, and Hyundai Tiburon? (all similar price range)
First only the hyundai and kia are in the same class as the SCION. Obviously steer clear from any of those three.
The 2008 eclipse is ok if you get the GT
The Lancer is a good choice if you get the EVO IX or X

Are you serious!??? You're looking at a $16k car. Do you SERIOUSLY think that it's possible that its acceptable right out of the box!? Or even with MAJOR modification!?

Any other thoughts ?

I'll be selling my modded out '93 celica and replacing it with either a tC or one of the above mentioned cars.

You might be better off keeping your celica unless it's in horrible running condition. If I could save you time, money and headaches I'd like to help steer you clear away from the TC or any SCION for that matter. GL with your choice. Hopefully ill be able to make a difference to at least one person thinking of getting this turd-mobile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering buying a Scion tC.... your thoughts?