Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Cutting weight on tC

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know it was previously stated but seriously 100lbs for every 10th second is it worth it for a daily driver?? now if its just gonna be a track car then go for it otherwise its pointless in my opinion...
Old 02-03-2006, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

cf roof would greatly improve our handling.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pureXtC
i know it was previously stated but seriously 100lbs for every 10th second is it worth it for a daily driver?? now if its just gonna be a track car then go for it otherwise its pointless in my opinion...

i didnt see any thing up there that would ruin the tcs daily drive abiltiy (except remove the sound deading lol that makes TO mutch road noise i started and had to go back and put it back in)
Old 02-03-2006, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

braille is a great battery company who came out with a 13lb battery. my cf hood weighs in at 7lb. i also removed the windsheild wiper fluid and tank. i dont trust the cf trunks. my spare tire and crap has been gone. i know enough people to get me out of that. and AAA. lol. im not gonna go crazy and start hacking my car. i just take out stuff that i dont need or use. i never drive more than 2 people cause i hate it. so the seats might go. im doing light racing seats which will help. theres so many ways of lighting up your car, but replacing the sunroof rails with plastic?!?! or cf?!?! and thinking it will improve your handling? no. it will increase your body flex. and if you get in a accident. forget about it. thats why im not gonna go crazy. a couple lb here and there aint worth it.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

remove the glass roof wont hurt handling at all

most of the bracing is in the roof not in the panels that hold the glass up

the stock roof weighs in some where around 65lbs i belive so that greatly reduces the center of gravity on the car

rick please correct me if im wrong
Old 02-24-2006, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default subject

Heres an idea... dont get any of these: ground effect kits, Fog Lights, Mud Guards, Front End Mask, Bumper Protector, Rear Lip Spoiler ,Pedestal Spoiler, B Pillar Appliques , Billet Oil Cap , Battery Tie Down , TRD Front Strut Tie Bar, Door Sill Enhancements, Carpet and Cargo Mats or SRS Side & Side Curtain Airbags .
Old 02-24-2006, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a c/f hatch will save you 55-75 pounds...not 10. a c/f hood should save you 20..but not sure on the tC. i would go with some racing harts cp-035 wheels, they weigh like 10 pounds for the 16inch. but since i drive my car daily... im not too worried about the weight, im trying to maximize the HP...so the HP:WEIGHT ratio is better
Old 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cutting weight on tC

Originally Posted by sunnylee
Original header > I think replacing the header cut down quite a bit of weight not to mention more horsepower... any one know how much weight we can save there?
The original header is very heavy but so are the aftermarket headers.. The megan header actually felt a little heavier then the stock header (but they're very close)
Old 02-24-2006, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacktc
a c/f hatch will save you 55-75 pounds...not 10. a c/f hood should save you 20..but not sure on the tC.
I find it really hard to believe that a C/F hatch saves you that much weight, unless you don't put the original glass back in..

Someone compared the carbon fiber hood to the stock hood awhile ago, and I'm pretty sure there was only a 12 pound difference.. Not a bad reduction but still, it's mostly a "show" mod.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last time I asked how much a c/f hatch would save I was told 40lbs by the company, give or take.

What about relocating the battery to balance out the weight more. You could even use a lighter weight battery? Are there any drawbacks to putting this in the hatch?
Old 02-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Banned
SL Member

Don't put the battery in the hatch. Longer wires will make you more susceptible to noise (not really an issue) and, more importantly, the resistence will go up unless you use a thicker wire, which means anything running off the battery won't be getting the same voltage if you had left the battery in place. Also, this means the battery might not reach the intended charge level. Not a good idea.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

To cut enough weight to make a difference you will either have to spend way too much money (for not a lot of weight reduction) or get rid of any and all creature comforts.

And in the end it is still going to be a heavy, front wheel drive car. If you are really serious about cutting weight....to the point where you will have no sound deadening, no radio, no AC, no sunroof etc, why did you buy a TC. Let's be honest, it is just not the optimal platform for this type of thing.

Before you buy your swazall and go to town, why not buy a used Miata or something like that?

Ever heard the expression putting lipstick on a pig? Don't get me wrong, I love my tC, I just don't have any illusions about winning LeMans with it.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wibblywobbly
Ever heard the expression putting lipstick on a pig? Don't get me wrong, I love my tC, I just don't have any illusions about winning LeMans with it.
You, my friend, should be quoted.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default subject

(Stock Scion tC)-(~390lbs)= (0 to 60 time of 6.4 seconds)
Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Aftermarket headers + exhaust will save you alot of weight. You realize it when you have one in each hand and go how on gods earth did they make the stocker so heavy =P

Racing seats can probably save you a ton, not sure how much tc seats way, but on the tib it was VERY significant weight savings. You can remove your backseats and then fiberglass some light speakers in for bling and performance =P
CF hood doesnt seem to save you much in this car. tib had like a 35 lb hood, definately savings there Better off putting that 500$ into power.

Lightweight rims will help you off the line significantly, so will better tires.

I would say go for full exhaust, lightweight rims(rotational mass means ALOT more than weight on the chassis), racing seats if you want em (bling factor too)
Old 03-10-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default subject

Originally Posted by Yablargo

Lightweight rims will help you off the line significantly, , lightweight rims(rotational mass means ALOT more than weight on the chassis),
Does anyone know of a good general site to compare weights of aftermarket rims?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: subject

Originally Posted by J_Bomb
Originally Posted by Yablargo

Lightweight rims will help you off the line significantly, , lightweight rims(rotational mass means ALOT more than weight on the chassis),
Does anyone know of a good general site to compare weights of aftermarket rims?
Nevermind, I just saw tirerack.com. They have most of the weights there. I think that our stock wheels weigh between 19-22 lbs. Which is not really that big of a weight savings when most of the wheel there are 17-20 lbs. Does anyone know the exact weight of our stock 17" rims?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was wondering the exact weight myself... that's how I got to this thread using the ... you guessed it, the search function.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took out some misc stuff and weighed in at 2760 no driver
Old 04-19-2006, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

miscellaneous stuff... car to explain? how full was the gas tank btw? i thought i read somewhere that stock tc's are like 2905 lbs... 140 lbs is a lot of miscellaneous stuff is what im getting at.

Quick Reply: Cutting weight on tC