2005-2010 [ANT10]

e brake question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default e brake question...

i heard on this board that the e brake is pretty loose or goes up a lot....well...i had my e brake up and drove about 2 to 3 miles down the street....how bad is this?...and i also notice when i park on a slant and use my ebrake....the car still moves down a bit after i let go of the brakes...anyone have any suggestions?....thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member

I had my ebrake adjusted at the dealer because I felt it was pretty high up...the tech laughed after it clicked like 17 times before holding. Now it goes up a lot less than before and holds at six clicks.

Slowly pull the ebrake and listen to how many clicks you hear...from what I heard standard is about 6-8 clicks.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Are e-brake is a piece of ____!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DelayedTurbo
Old 10-06-2004, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Re: e brake question...

Originally Posted by franktherank
i heard on this board that the e brake is pretty loose or goes up a lot....well...i had my e brake up and drove about 2 to 3 miles down the street....how bad is this?...and i also notice when i park on a slant and use my ebrake....the car still moves down a bit after i let go of the brakes...anyone have any suggestions?....thanks
Driving with the e-brake on isn't terrible, but it will wear out your rear pads a lot faster than normal. If you do this a lot, it may cause a problem with the EBD as the front and rear pads would have different amounts of wear on them. If you did this when your pads were almost in need of replacement, it could cause damage to the rotors as well.

As far as the car moving a little, that's relatively normal. So long as it doesn't seem like it's rolling. When you set the rear brakes and then release the front brakes, the car settles a bit with more pull on the rear wheels vs. all four holding it in place.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the thing where you park on a hill, set the e-brake, let go of the brake and the car rolls back a bit...totally normal. every car I've been in has done this to some extent. two different brake systems.

is this your first car?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by komik_tC
Driving with the e-brake on isn't terrible, but it will wear out your rear pads a lot faster than normal. If you do this a lot, it may cause a problem with the EBD as the front and rear pads would have different amounts of wear on them. If you did this when your pads were almost in need of replacement, it could cause damage to the rotors as well.
The emergency brake doesn't use the same pads as the regular rear disc brake. It's a smaller drum-type brake inside the rear brake assembly. Driving with your emergency brake on won't wear or damage the regular braking systems.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by JasonH
The emergency brake doesn't use the same pads as the regular rear disc brake. It's a smaller drum-type brake inside the rear brake assembly. Driving with your emergency brake on won't wear or damage the regular braking systems.
:oops: Oh. :oops:

What about on cars with rear drums? Do they also have this type of setup, or does the e-brake use the regular drums?
Old 10-06-2004, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about on cars with rear drums? Do they also have this type of setup, or does the e-brake use the regular drums?
In my experience (mostly older cars with drums, all of my new-ish cars have had discs all around) cars with rear drums do use the regular drum brakes for the emergency brake. I believe disc brakes aren't used for the emergency brake because there is no easy mechanical way to make a disc brake work. For a drum brake, all you need is a cable and a lever assembly in the drum and it will work.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

In my experience (mostly older cars with drums, all of my new-ish cars have had discs all around) cars with rear drums do use the regular drum brakes for the emergency brake. I believe disc brakes aren't used for the emergency brake because there is no easy mechanical way to make a disc brake work. For a drum brake, all you need is a cable and a lever assembly in the drum and it will work.
That makes sense. When I was writing my first post I was thinking of my '91 and '93 Cavaliers. They have rear drums and use them for the e-brake. I have wondered how rear discs were used as e-brakes but never questioned it too much. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
hehe
Old 10-07-2004, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never EVER give your keys to NO MOTHER Fing PERSON EVER!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lenalove
never EVER give your keys to NO MOTHER Fing PERSON EVER!
:?:
Old 10-07-2004, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

That makes sense. When I was writing my first post I was thinking of my '91 and '93 Cavaliers. They have rear drums and use them for the e-brake. I have wondered how rear discs were used as e-brakes but never questioned it too much. Thanks.
I'm not sure if all rear disc setups are the same, but for my Lexus it used a "drum in disc" system. In just about every car I've seen with rear disc brakes, you'll notice a very small drum assembly which is used only as a parking brake. . .
Old 10-07-2004, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No. The e-brake uses a drum inside the rotor not the caliper used for normal braking.

And front and rear brake pads always wear differently, even with normal driving.

As for people saying the ebrake sucks? Have you adjusted it or taken it to the dealer to have them adjust it?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye
No. The e-brake uses a drum inside the rotor not the caliper used for normal braking.
Yeah, I know. Someone mentioned that.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member

As for people saying the ebrake sucks? Have you adjusted it or taken it to the dealer to have them adjust it?[/quote]

Has anyone adjusted their e-brake on their own yet? I'm just curious how difficult it is. I've done it on other cars and it's always been pretty easy, but I'd like to know if anyone has adjusted their tC's yet.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by Saint Alfonzo
Originally Posted by Rivulent
Are e-brake is a piece of poopie!
hehe
haha
Old 07-26-2005, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member

the dealer adjusted it free for me, now it takes like 4 clicks to fully engage
Old 07-26-2005, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Why are you people reviving a nearly year old dead thread????