2005-2010 [ANT10]

Effin' hit'n'runs... Gauging repair costs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Effin' hit'n'runs... Gauging repair costs

So I left for work today and was presented with a nice surprise. My driver side front fender with a huge gash, dent, and paint rub burns. Some facktard sideswiped my car between 11:30 last night and 7:00 this morning. Thankfully my headlight was only slightly scraped and can probably be buffed or something. It isn't too noticable though so I may just deal with that. The rest of the damage is pretty bad though. Then after yelling belligerently for 5-10 minutes I got in my car. That's when I noticed my left speakers won't work either. I talked to my roommate (who was parked in front of me) if he had any damage but he hasn't had a chance to look yet. He didn't drive til this morning so there's no way anyone could have been trying to park and rash me. All my speakers were working last night and I would have noticed it if it happened last night. I sure as hell didn't hit anyone while driving, nor did anyone hit me while driving. I didn't have time to take photos but I will on lunch break today and post em up when I get home. I didn't even think about it til now, but I need to check to see if my intake was damaged too. Car ran fine though with no CEL or anything so it should be ok.

Now I just have to figure out what I want to do about getting it fixed. Do I go to the insurance guys (who are already raping me on bull____ costs) or just suck it up and pay for the repairs myself. I'm not sure how much it would cost so I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could gauge it for me (once the photos are up of course). To me it looks like the whole fender needs to be replaced. The rest could probably be buffed/painted.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Harsh, go thru your insurance.
Your insurance cannot go up if the accident was not your fault...like a hit ot run or something like that. I was told it's against the law for it to increase on accidents that are not your fault. You'll have to pay whatever your deductible is.

That looks like it would cost a butt load of money to fix up if you decide on not claiming it.

You can barely notice any damage to the headlight. I'm guessing atleast 500 dollars if not 1K worth of damage.

If we could ever catch these hit n run ****'s....the ending of our threads would always end on a happier note....
Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member

That sucks, man. And I feel your pain; 4th of July, someone used my car as a guardrail and I'm waiting to get it in to the shop and repaired. Talk to your insurance company, and like mine (USAA), they should have a separate claim for hit and runs/vandalism (as opposed to a collision). That right there knocked my deductible down from $500 to $300. Also, ask about depreciation. Your insurance company should be able to give you some $$ to offset any depreciation caused by damage. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chrisb319
Harsh, go thru your insurance.
Your insurance cannot go up if the accident was not your fault...like a hit ot run or something like that. I was told it's against the law for it to increase on accidents that are not your fault. You'll have to pay whatever your deductible is.

That looks like it would cost a butt load of money to fix up if you decide on not claiming it.

You can barely notice any damage to the headlight. I'm guessing atleast 500 dollars if not 1K worth of damage.

If we could ever catch these hit n run ****'s....the ending of our threads would always end on a happier note....
id say that definately looks like more than $1k

not sure if $500 will even replace the bumper, its made out of plastic so I think its probably going to have to be replaced. the head light needs to be replaced and fixing the door dings and fender will cost a pretty penny.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:43 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

OOOOOOOOOO I feel you bro.

Labor for the Fender Bumper set up is over 800 retail. Go through insurance
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually checked the headlight and the scuff comes off with my finger nails, so that's salvageable at least. Yeah I was looking into replacing my rear bumper from another hit and run and that would have cost like $400-500 to replace (can't remember if that includes painting). The main issue is the damage to the frame under the fender that I'm worried about. It pushed the frame in about a centimeter or so. (at least it appears to be) I'm going to take it into the dealership to see if they could gauge a cost of repairs and to check if any other damage might have been done that I can't see. I'll have to look up the insurance policy to see about hit and runs though. I got dropped from one policy because of that and a speeding ticket. Buncha jagoffs...
Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont feel bad, last saturday my car was in a hit and run over night. Looks like someone backed into my front bumper while i was parked in my private lot behind my house and then the person took off. I had groves and paint on mine. Im having the bumper fixed, new headlight, and grille and other little odds and ends. Grands total for me was only $700 though through my dealer. Last time i was there, i got smashed at 45mph in my @$$ end while at a stop sign in traffic (not my fault) and i needed and entire new back end. Other peoples insurance paid $2500 for repairs through my dealer. I have no luck. my car just sits there and gets crushed. anyways, it goes in tomorrow at 8am for repairs.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Wow, very sorry to see that
Old 08-28-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thankfully my last hit n' runner was only going 5-15 mph so there wasn't much damage cept a few divots in my bumper from his. Assmuncher tried to speed off. Chased his a$$ for about 15-20 minutes. 911 told me to stop. If I didn't have a girl in the car with me at the time I would have chased his ___ til he ran out of gas and beat the snot out of him.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Checked at the body shop. The fender and bumper are salvageable and the cost is around $900. The dent on the other side of my car (if possible to fix) is about $200. The hood scratches I have should cost about $100-200 (I think that's what he said). My rear bumper is ____ed from the previous hit and run but I may just get a bodykit bumper for that that I've had my eye on. Just gotta find out if they fit/paint those too or if they only do repairs.