Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Fan Ticking Noise - tC 2008 [Video]

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 07:22 PM

Default Fan Ticking Noise - tC 2008 [Video]

I opened the fan casing under the glove box hoping to find something that was causing the noise, but nothing but a clicking noise. Please check the youtube vid and tell me if it needs a new motor/fan. Thanks guys.

Video:
Old 12-20-2015, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by branden009
I opened the fan casing under the glove box hoping to find something that was causing the noise, but nothing but a clicking noise. Please check the youtube vid and tell me if it needs a new motor/fan. Thanks guys.

Video: Air conditioner fan clicking noise - Scion tc 2008 - YouTube
I'm confused.. You found the source of the noise but you want to know if you should install a new blower fan? Well.. it's making noise, it's not normal.. time to replace it. That's what happens, parts go bad, have to replace them. And don't bother with Toyota's fan, way too much money.. Check out Rockauto's website, and the tyc brand! Much cheaper fan, works very well!
Old 12-20-2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
I'm confused.. You found the source of the noise but you want to know if you should install a new blower fan? Well.. it's making noise, it's not normal.. time to replace it. That's what happens, parts go bad, have to replace them. And don't bother with Toyota's fan, way too much money.. Check out Rockauto's website, and the tyc brand! Much cheaper fan, works very well!
lol well I was hoping for someone to jump in and say theres a way to fix the fan without replacing it, but I went ahead and bought a motor/fan. They are only 40 bucks online so no big deal. thanks.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol well I was hoping for someone to jump in and say theres a way to fix the fan without replacing it, but I went ahead and bought a motor/fan. They are only 40 bucks online so no big deal. thanks.
oh duh!! now I get it, yeah you're right there's no way to fix the internal motor, not really worth it when you can get a new one like the tyc for around $40. And the way yours "died" is the same way most of ours died too, started making noises, like clicking, got louder and louder until eventually it didn't even work. What brand did you buy as a replacement?
Old 12-21-2015, 12:43 AM

oh duh!! now I get it, yeah you're right there's no way to fix the internal motor, not really worth it when you can get a new one like the tyc for around $40. And the way yours "died" is the same way most of ours died too, started making noises, like clicking, got louder and louder until eventually it didn't even work. What brand did you buy as a replacement?
Well, I saw that the motor is the same as the celica (2000-2005) so I ordered that off ebay. The brand says its "TYC" so I think its an OEM part.

From what I've read on some sites, it seems common for people to have a busted motor. Doesnt help that the tC doesnt come with an air cabin filter so crap builds up in there.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I saw that the motor is the same as the celica (2000-2005) so I ordered that off ebay. The brand says its "TYC" so I think its an OEM part.

From what I've read on some sites, it seems common for people to have a busted motor. Doesnt help that the tC doesnt come with an air cabin filter so crap builds up in there.
yup TYC is an aftermarket brand, they do also make a lot of OEM stuff. you're also correct it's the same blower fan as the celica 2000-2005. TYC did not make the original blower fan, Denso did. But the tyc blower fan is what I have and you'll like it. Compare the fan blades to your original when you get it, you'll see they're slightly wider and longer. It puts out more airflow than the old one. About the cabin air filter. the tC is already set up for a filter, the tray is only empty. With the newer blower fan you are no longer restricted to having no cabin air filter. The original fan was too weak, that's why they didn't put a filter in.

But now you having the aftermarket, more powerful fan, adding a cabin filter is not a problem. I've been using a cabin air filter on mine for many years, no problems. So add one!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:53 AM

yup TYC is an aftermarket brand, they do also make a lot of OEM stuff. you're also correct it's the same blower fan as the celica 2000-2005. TYC did not make the original blower fan, Denso did. But the tyc blower fan is what I have and you'll like it. Compare the fan blades to your original when you get it, you'll see they're slightly wider and longer. It puts out more airflow than the old one. About the cabin air filter. the tC is already set up for a filter, the tray is only empty. With the newer blower fan you are no longer restricted to having no cabin air filter. The original fan was too weak, that's why they didn't put a filter in.

But now you having the aftermarket, more powerful fan, adding a cabin filter is not a problem. I've been using a cabin air filter on mine for many years, no problems. So add one!
Ah, i see. Thats good to know. I put a filter in a while ago, maybe thats why the blower failed lol. Well, hope I do notice a difference in the amount of air flow, that would be awesome cause sometimes it feels a little under powered at the highest setting. Thanks for the information mich
Old 12-21-2015, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah, i see. Thats good to know. I put a filter in a while ago, maybe thats why the blower failed lol. Well, hope I do notice a difference in the amount of air flow, that would be awesome cause sometimes it feels a little under powered at the highest setting. Thanks for the information mich
yeah that might be why, or the fact that the unit died for all of us. I think it was just cheap, that's why they never specified the usage of a cabin air filter. lol But yes you can take it from me, using a cabin air filter with the new blower motor from TYC is fine. But you're right, that original fan was a little under-powered! The new one seems like it could blow dry your hair!

you're welcome for the info! don't hesitate to post any questions you have here. Even though the forums are kind of slow,dead lately. and welcome to scionlife!

also have to add that the TYC has a lifetime warranty on the part. So if you have trouble you can get another for free! Love TYC for that! awesome!