Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Fog Lamps on the tC -OEM or Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Fog Lamps on the tC -OEM or Aftermarket?

What do you all think? I don't particularly like the look of the OEM, but they are located in the right place (over the bumper's edge). All of the aftermarket installs I've seen look clamped on and/or rigged or are shadow boxes because they are so far inset into the bumper vent holes.

What is the problem with mounting an aftermarket set in the grille where the OEMs go? Has anyone got an aftermarket install they're particualrly happy with and would like to share pics?

What about the quality of the light from the OEM vs. aftermarket? A pet peeve of mine is seeing some oncoming idiot with two glaring starbursts stuck under the bumper. I've seen the Hellas Micro DEs touted here, any other recommendations? I'm looking for lamps that look good installed and do what they are supposed to do, increase visibility under poor road conditions without pi**ing off oncoming drivers.

Thanks,
B.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason why I was recommending Hella Micro DEs was because they are the only quality fog light that can fit into those vent holes. All other fog lights that can fit are pretty much cheap third world crap that can glare other drivers.

The grill below the bumper is 115 mm in height so there is still a constraint in mounting proper fog lights as they usually come in larger sizes. However, one fog light that I can think of that would be an excellent choice would be the Bosch Sport Compact 100. It is 100 mm in diameter and has sound reflector optics that won't produce excessive glare. It also has plenty of mounting options so you can mount the bolt at 12, 3, 6, or 9 o'clock. This is important as you can mount the bolt upward so that you can drill into a metal frame member. I wouldn't trust just the grill to hold on to the fog light. Besides, that plastic will flex and cause the beam to jump up and down, potentially glaring other drivers.

Unfortunately, this lamp is only available in the European market. However, Daniel Stern of www.danielsternlight.com has been importing them for some time now. If you send him an email, he'll give you a quote on a pair. He has been very helpful to me in the past, so I can't recommend him enough. Search through google groups if you want some more evidence of his well deserved good reputation.

Quality aftermarket lights are much better than what you can find in OEM. The only exception might be some European cars that already come with lights from respected makers such as Hella, Bosch, or Cibie. Be advised that there is plenty of crap on the aftermarket as well. Roughly 90% of all aftermarket automotive lighting is crap (PIAA, Sylvania Silverstars, Catz, etc.).

Finally, thank you for understanding that fog lights aren't something to make your car look good. I really hate when people use fog lights in clear weather. They actually decrease the driver's night vision while glaring other drivers in the process.