Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Got into a hit & run in the parking lot...need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member

Default Got into a hit & run in the parking lot...need help

How much do you think this would cost?
Some people say the whole bumper cover needs to be replaced ($1000)
Some people say it could be popped and repainted (250-300)
Some people say 500 to 600...

My deductable for hit & run is 500 with no premium raise for hit & runs. This happened on my birthday too! I went to Palo Alto, CA for my birthday dinner and came out and saw my brand new baby looking like that!
Old 01-18-2005, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn, that sucks, especially on your birthday. I really couldn't tell you how much it would cost. I would shop around your area, and get about 3-4 quotes. i will however give you some advice, and that is if the damages are worth about as much as your insurance deductible, say 600 or 700 to fix, i would not report it to the insurance company. Even though you had nothing to do with it in any way, they will still increase your insurance cost. Trust me, it happened to me. i was sitting in my car after school parked in a parking space, and some girl backes out of the space at my rear, and hits me. We fix it through insurance, and even though it was completely her fault, my insurance went up $20 a month. (240 a year) It may not seem like a lot, but i get screwed for doing what?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jrv2000
damn, that sucks, especially on your birthday. I really couldn't tell you how much it would cost. I would shop around your area, and get about 3-4 quotes. i will however give you some advice, and that is if the damages are worth about as much as your insurance deductible, say 600 or 700 to fix, i would not report it to the insurance company. Even though you had nothing to do with it in any way, they will still increase your insurance cost. Trust me, it happened to me. i was sitting in my car after school parked in a parking space, and some girl backes out of the space at my rear, and hits me. We fix it through insurance, and even though it was completely her fault, my insurance went up $20 a month. (240 a year) It may not seem like a lot, but i get screwed for doing what?
Well when i bought my policy I asked them about my hit & run policy. No premium hike, just pay the deductable and it's good. I'm going to get a couple of quotes tomorrow then head off to talk to my agent and see whats up. If the deductables are less then 500 i'm going to pay, if not I'll go file a claim and get my car fixed.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ouch...sorry your tC got hit.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try paintless dent removal places, and then wax the hell out of it.

It's not going to look perfect, but I assure you it will be less expensive than mounting a new bumper.

And I would be fuming mad if I were you. I saw a hit-and-run happen here outside my complex, and I turned the license plates of both vehicles over to the police.

There is NO excuse for 'accidental' vandalism.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member

I feel your pain. Somebody tagged my car the other day. Left a lot of red paint by my drivers side rear wheel whell all the way back to the bumper. Asshats can't even own up to what they did[/list]
Old 01-18-2005, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

time to get a bodykit!
Old 01-18-2005, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man that does really suck. no matter what it is going to cost you 500 out of pocket. Might as well get the body kit.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Now wait wait wait....

There's a post with pics around here somewhere with a guy repairing nearly the same damage you have. He removed his bumper.... put blankets on the drive way and put the bumper on the ground. With a rubber mallet hammer or something he went to work on the inner side and 'voila', the dent popped out with no paint damage. He put the bumper back on and you'd never notice anything happened unless you looked for it.... and it only cost him a couple hours of his time.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^ It was a white tC, I remember that post.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

YEA ^^^^^
Old 01-18-2005, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear about that. It really sucks. Not too long ago i got some damage on the back of my Celica that ended up popping the bumper in, and also scrunching up some of the steel between the bumper and the wheel. I took it to macco and got a quote of $2500 or so. so we let it slide, the car was still driveable... just ugly.

Anyways 3 months later we bought a new car (not a replacement, just another car) and asked the dealer who he had doing his small ding repairs and stuff. He told us it was a vietnamese guy he knew. Anyways we called the vietnamese guy, and he fixed the damage perfect (Fixed the body, and bumper, painted and clear-coated) for $350. Not that I'd trust him if I totalled my car to fix it, but small cosmetic stuff the guy is great for. Don't suppose you live anywhere near Seattle.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had pretty much the exact same situation--I got the bumper cover replaced, and the part and the painting of it ended up being like 520 or something like that. I have a $300 deductible, so wasn't out too much. I don't think it's likely to run you $1000.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member

hey i hit up my autoshops...

one place said the new bumper will cost 205, and all the other cost included will come out to 600 without tax.

if i get the bumper fixed (by outsourcing) then 550...

but then i hit up the place down the block and they said 350, they'll repaint it and pop it or i can pop it myself and just pay the 300 for paint.

Popping it is easy, just place a heater in front of it for a couple of hours and it'll pop back in place.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by btownboy
I feel your pain. Somebody tagged my car the other day. Left a lot of red paint by my drivers side rear wheel whell all the way back to the bumper. Asshats can't even own up to what they did[/list]
Wash your car, soon. Then hit it with a polishing compound and a clay bar, and the paint should polish off.

But you have to do it SOON.