Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

hatch 'clunking' noise? Anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default hatch 'clunking' noise? Anyone else

Does anyone else have a noise that can best be described as "clunking" coming from somewhere in the rear of the car. It only happens when I hit bumps in the road, but it is really annoying.....I took it to the dealership to get fixed but they had no idea what I was talking about (although they did fix another noise problem that I had never heard before).

Help.....
Old 04-26-2005, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry bro. The clunking may be muffled by the sound of my golf clubs in the back. Do a search, someone did a write up on how to fix the rattling.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default hatch noise?

If its a squeak/pop sound of sorts, check the hatch, mine had this problem and they had to adjust the hook to make the hatch pull tighter to stop it.

Have someone drive it, fold down the seats in the back, lay there and listen, its its on either side of the hatch near the lifters, same issue i had.

What othe rnoise did they fix? Just curious.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: hatch 'clunking' noise? Anyone else

Originally Posted by drcarr00
Does anyone else have a noise that can best be described as "clunking" coming from somewhere in the rear of the car. It only happens when I hit bumps in the road, but it is really annoying.....I took it to the dealership to get fixed but they had no idea what I was talking about (although they did fix another noise problem that I had never heard before).

Help.....
I know what you are talking about. I noticed this when going over a speed bump the other day...you have to go over the bump at a good speed so it wont make it THUMP...kif you go faster or in some wierd way..it goes THUD!! i was like WTF WAS THAT! only does it over speed bumps tho...kinda when you are going off the speed bump and the car jumps back down..it's like THUD! anyways it's only if i go to fast so i can solve that problem myself.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:08 PM
tct
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

is your car lowered b any chance?...i had the same problem. the bolts on the shock mounts werent fully tight and the shock s was moving around, thats why that noise happens.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think my car is lowered HA! i havent lowered it...but i have seen some pics of the tC's before and mine does look a little lower then some peoples, then again that could be because i have the lip kit But no i havent lowered it.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have owned many toyotas, including an 85 MKII supra. I believe that this hatch rattle, squeak, and pop is what is called a "feature". I have it in my MKII and in my tC. I think toyota uses it to keep drivers awake.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: hatch noise?

Originally Posted by LeoLeonardo
If its a squeak/pop sound of sorts, check the hatch, mine had this problem and they had to adjust the hook to make the hatch pull tighter to stop it.

Have someone drive it, fold down the seats in the back, lay there and listen, its its on either side of the hatch near the lifters, same issue i had.

What othe rnoise did they fix? Just curious.
How long ago did you get the fix? Because some people are getting a "fix" (not like yours though) but rattle is coming back.

Also is the hook you describe the metal piece on base of car where the hatchback close on to?

Thanks.

Kevin
Old 04-26-2005, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also wondering if this problem occurs if you ride with the hatch up? From my little bit of testing as I do not have a person laying in the back, the rattle does NOT happen with hatch up. So the answer might be the location of the hook and connection with hatch when closed/latched.

Kevin
Old 04-26-2005, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member

Mine sorta makes a clunking noise. I was going to try some of the fixes people have done and see what happens.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I've had someone sit in the back and listen....it is for sure coming from the passenger rear. I'm thinking it has to be the hatch. I already had the spoiler looked at because I thought it might have been that.

As far as the other noise. To tell you the truth, I have no idea what noise they are talking about. They said some sort of metal scrapping noise. Beats me. Whatever it was they took care of it.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

its a known problem with the hatch rattle and clunking. Unfortunately.. Scion Customer care told me that theyre still working on the TSB for it.. and it wouldn't be out for maybe another two weeks. Doesn't help me when I take the car to a Toyota Service Center (they told me that they can't work on it due to me having an aftermarket subwoofer.. which they said was causing the rattle.. whats funny is that on the sheet they gave me.. It told me that the sound was caused by the subwoofer being on.. which is funny because it was off and my headunit faceplate was in my hand) hopefully it gets taken care of soon.. The sun roof rattle is bad enough.. which they still didn't fix.. as well as the radio doors.. now the hatch..
Old 04-27-2005, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Megakurth
its a known problem with the hatch rattle and clunking. Unfortunately.. Scion Customer care told me that theyre still working on the TSB for it.. and it wouldn't be out for maybe another two weeks. Doesn't help me when I take the car to a Toyota Service Center (they told me that they can't work on it due to me having an aftermarket subwoofer.. which they said was causing the rattle.. whats funny is that on the sheet they gave me.. It told me that the sound was caused by the subwoofer being on.. which is funny because it was off and my headunit faceplate was in my hand) hopefully it gets taken care of soon.. The sun roof rattle is bad enough.. which they still didn't fix.. as well as the radio doors.. now the hatch..
Blaming it on the sub is really funny as everyone knows it is a "known problem". I am anxious to see what the TSB indicates the fix to be as I have heard multiple fixes to this problem (due to a welding problem, latch, stoppers, wire harness hitting metal). What I think is weird is the problem comes and goes. So not sure if closing the hatch sometimes has a "better fit" that other times. I listen to the stereo so much I don't really notice but would be nice to have fixed.

Kevin
Old 05-13-2005, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default check out this link

Check out this link, it helped me!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...358&highlight=
Old 05-13-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have this stupid clunking noise . it sounds like i have a dead body in the hatch. I hate it .. and it just started. And i had my care since june of 04'.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its funny, I havn't experienced hardly any of these 'noises' from my tC. No hatch noises, no sunroof popping, nothing. But I do make noises in my tC.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics

I thought I was just hearing normal "new car" noises... I got mine one week ago today. Guess I'm not going crazy then, huh
Old 05-13-2005, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Havn't experienced this one but I do hear a noise whenever I push on the gas. I think its coming from under the hood.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member

My tc makes an odd rattling noise when you first step on the gas and stay under 20 mph. I think it might have something to do with my K&N air induction system. Like many of you, I took my tc to the dealer only to hear that “we checked everything, and nothing is loose.” I also hear a rattling coming from the trunk.

Just out of curiosity, did any of you try removing the spare tire and jack to see if this solves the issue?
Old 05-13-2005, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do have the same clunk noise, I took it to the dealership, they added foam and stuff, and fixed some minor rattles but this clunk is still there.

If you fold down your seats and watch when you go over bumps you can see the hatch buncing quite a bit over bumps. I think setting up the hook to latch better is the correct fix...

Quick Reply: hatch 'clunking' noise? Anyone else