Old 08-04-2004, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Head Lights.... p5 and p6?

Is that correct p5 and p6...
One of them is for high and for low....

Any suggestions on a good decent Degree..
i think they are at 51watts now.... but the only one i found so far was 55 wats... 4200k?
any specific brands...?..
thx
Old 08-04-2004, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got an HID kit which of course im not happy with...

I'm retrofitting a projector when I go on vacation next month.

will post pics when done. ^_^
Old 08-04-2004, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Enkidu

Why arent you happy with it? I want to get one too, but I dont know anyone with experience... and I dont mean to hijak the post... I dont have my tC yet, so I dont know the bulbs
Old 08-04-2004, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am wondering the same thing

Originally Posted by SpdLmtNA

Why arent you happy with it? I want to get one too, but I dont know anyone with experience... and I dont mean to hijak the post... I dont have my tC yet, so I dont know the bulbs
Old 08-04-2004, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll take a shot. Too much glare, crappy pattern, crappy cut off, crappy spread?

Retrofitting a projector is DEFINATELY the way to go. Plus you have the added benefit of using OEM components which have more money in RandD and have been tested more thouroughly than any ebay kit could ever hope.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HID Questions

I'm a bit new to HID, but I'm thinking about getting a setup myself. So if I've got this straight, the options are to get a kit that plugs HID bulbs into the stock housing, which gives crappy light and pattern and cutoff because it was designed for halogens, or to rip out the existing reflector (essentially gut the stock lights) and put in a reflector and the HID bulbs and housings that were designed to work with it, right?

So it seems like the only way to do it "right" would be to do the total retrofit with the projector and all, but is someone going to make a good kit for the tC for this? I don't wanna cut things up and smash stuff in order to get this to work. Honestly I'll probably end up going with SilverStars... they cost $40, and if you ever sold your car to someone who wanted "stock" (ie. the dealer), they wouldn't be all ____ed about it.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I put in silverstars - since we don't have DRLs they should last pretty long. So I'm gonna wait for another sale/rebate deal and stock up on them
Old 08-04-2004, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would wait for the aftermarket to pick up and start dumping cheap projector headlights on ebay. Then pick a set of those up cheap and retrofit HID projectors into them. Easier, best results, and then you won't have to worry about destroying expensive lights.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

a friend gave me a Phillips HID kit that came off his 95 Intergra...

Now, the lights arent as tight of a fit as they should be, but the output is alot better than i originally expected.

I believe they are 4200K if im not mistaken and they produce a very sharp pattern much to my suprise...

Only problem is that even though most of the beam is directed towards the ground, there is quite a bit of glare one you reach about 10 feet away from the car.

Im not sure if this is bothering the drivers in front of me, considering that i was standing in front of the car, but i just wanted to bring attention to it.

I think that i'll probably end up getting phillips bulbs that fit perfectly, but for now i do notice that its much brighter. As bright as it COULD be? I think i need to retrofit.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I just ordered a 7000k kit not from ebay. If was 379 with everything included shipped. If it works out alright I'll let everyone know where to pick em up at. Also, the ebay projector idea is pretty crappy actually. Most of the cheap projectors on ebay have very poorly angled beams and other such problems. Oh well, I'll let you know how this turns out.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by technetium
Also, the ebay projector idea is pretty crappy actually. Most of the cheap projectors on ebay have very poorly angled beams and other such problems. Oh well, I'll let you know how this turns out.
That is why I said, to retrofit the crappy projectors for good ones. Gut a ebay headlight instead of a Scion one.

7000k kit? Eh...
Old 08-04-2004, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

7000k kits are crap, the bulbs usually come from the cheap Korean manufactures and the rebase suck so you aren't getting the light source where it should be in the reflector.

Not to mention 7000k kits are more rice than usefulness, being the light has more color in it than white useable light. Defeats the purpose of having HIDs.

Only retrofit kits worth anything are 4,100k Philips or Osram rebased bulbs.

If color really is that important to you... Philips 6000k Ultinon bulbs.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HellNBack
7000k kits are crap, the bulbs usually come from the cheap Korean manufactures and the rebase suck so you aren't getting the light source where it should be in the reflector.

Not to mention 7000k kits are more rice than usefulness, being the light has more color in it than white useable light. Defeats the purpose of having HIDs.

Only retrofit kits worth anything are 4,100k Philips or Osram rebased bulbs.

If color really is that important to you... Philips 6000k Ultinon bulbs.
Oh man! Crrrucial...! Cut the guy a break, he JUST spent almost $400 bucks on em... at least let him try it before bashing on em... but I agree, Id rather have stock range kelvins... since it give you more lumens
Old 08-05-2004, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh man! Crrrucial...! Cut the guy a break, he JUST spent almost $400 bucks on em... at least let him try it before bashing on em... but I agree, Id rather have stock range kelvins... since it give you more lumens
Not to rub it in or anything, but he also got ripped off

Those ebay kits can be bought for $300 MAX shipped for the same so-so quality kit as he is getting.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye

I'll take a shot. Too much glare, crappy pattern, crappy cut off, crappy spread?

Retrofitting a projector is DEFINATELY the way to go. Plus you have the added benefit of using OEM components which have more money in RandD and have been tested more thouroughly than any ebay kit could ever hope.
hawkeye got it all correct. At first I just wanted something white, so I thought white bulbs... read that white hallogens suck, and went witht the HID kit without thinking. It's a 8000k (ewwww) and it's really white... i think it is a 6000k and the box was wrong because there is VERY LITTLE blue/purple on it. Anyway, the cutoff sux, glare sux, it does put out a lot of light, but not where I want. I spent like 500 bucks... I'm letting these suckers go for whatever someone gives me on ebay. I love the way it looks, but driving with white light aint as great as u might think. My sight gets tired as well after driving 30+ minutes. I'm getting me a nice set of Valeo projectors and a friend is helping me with the work. His are sooooooooooooo nice...

Bottomline, I lost 500 bucks. Learned a lot out of this...

now good news... Got my Enkei RSV 18x7.5 with Yokohama 225/40 AVS ES 100 tires. Posting pics in a few minutes. Also getting my springs and mudguards next week. Oh boy... this is gettin expensive.

PS: forgot to say, I had to make a shield for the bulbs not to let light reflect off the bottom part of the reflectors. It helps with the glare, but still looks like I have high beams on.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Head Lights.... p5 and p6?

Originally Posted by NoShiO

i think they are at 51watts now.... but the only one i found so far was 55 wats... 4200k?
thx
...umm thats great..
I dont understand all that.... New to HID.s ... actually new to cars even....
Can someone give me a suggestion... and answer my questions above?....
Thx..
Old 08-05-2004, 02:54 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz
I put in silverstars - since we don't have DRLs they should last pretty long. So I'm gonna wait for another sale/rebate deal and stock up on them

ahem... back to the ORIGINAL purpose of this post...

what sizes did you use? i heard the 9006ST for the lows, 9005ST for the highs...
yes no maybe so?

and how do they look? ;) i was going to get them as well... or else stick to RAZO lights which really haven't been too bad for my friend's 330Ci foglights (which used 9005 bulbs... isn't that craay? foglights using our headlight bulbs?)
Old 08-05-2004, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Head Lights.... p5 and p6?

thx
...umm thats great..
I dont understand all that.... New to HID.s ... actually new to cars even....
Can someone give me a suggestion... and answer my questions above?....
Thx..
Sorry for hijacking your thread man. go to http://www.hidforum.com/ and jump into the halogen section. I red somewhere about some Hella and PIAA (not the 55W ones!) that were quite bright and good. tCs use 9005 and 9006.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thx alot for that clearing up for the 9005/6...
But any reccomendations on Watts/Degrees....
Colors? Super Blue?
Brands...
Thx
Old 08-07-2004, 05:20 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

as for halogens, in my experience the "cool" blue look the best but don't really give out the best light for visibility... i'm not talking about the blatantly obvious "ricey" blue lights, but RAZO makes decent bulbs and a friend used both the blue and the near-HID ones for his fogs (he had a 330Ci so they had the projector XENON lights)... the blue looked better, but although HIDs START out blue when you first turn them on, they eventually even out to a white and as a result the near-HID bulbs instead looked better.

anyway, overall if you're sticking with halogen, i'd go for the near HID ones over "cool" blue... liek the Sylvania Silverstars over their "Cool" blue bulbs, RAZOs Premium White over their Pure White (which look "cool" blue... http://store.racinglab.com/carmategigalux.html)