Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Hit the curb REALLY badly last night (UPDATE)

Old 12-07-2008, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hit the curb REALLY badly last night (UPDATE)

Long story short, it was very slippery in NYC and I was only going about 40mph on the Henry Hudson parkway for the NY heads, and I was just relaxing, hand under the wheel, and it slipped for a sec before I had to make a turn, I caught it and didnt wanna miss my turn so I took did a sharp turn and the car slipped, I lost control and it slammed against the curb.

Theres no body damage whatsoever, but I did slam into the curb pretty hard, the alignment is all off. When the steering wheel is straight, one wheel is straight and fine while the other will be turned SLIGHTLY to the right, (this is if the drivers side tire is straight, the passenger side is turned to the right, opposite for the other side.)

Also it seems that the wheel which is | | <--imagine that as a tire overheard view, now it looks like its \ | if that makes any sense.

Im taking it to the dealer tomorrow, completely my fault, but does anyone have an idea what might exactly be the problem now? I drove it home after the accident, it wasnt too hard to steer but it would bounce all around.

:::::EDIT::::

Bent control arms, delearship said around $800 plus brake pads and something with the rotors, so all in all about a grand. Could I go to another mechanic to get this fixed? Or does the delearship have to supply the control arms and put it on? Im pretty sure I wont be going through insurance for this.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you probably bent something... im a real know- nothing when it comes to the car, but if you bent the axle or anything that could be pretty pricey... anyone feel free to correct me.

i know the frustration with the snow. we've gotten plenty here in wisconsin and i've hit the same F***ing curb twice in two days. each time a long string of swear words has came from my mouth. It's not even slippery, its just how the snow is plowed it looks like the curb is back alot farther than it really is

anywho, good luck with the stealership, i hope nothing is too wrong with your car.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:22 PM

same thing happened to me, only at around 20 mph.. but my car was undriveable and it costed 5000 in damage. thank god i have insurance. i finally get my car back on tuesday and the accident happeend a week before thanksgiving.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 PM
SL Member

yeahh it was really bad out last night. my car was slippin' all over the side streets on long island.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea you prolly bent an axle. that thing is pretty pricey....
Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could be a few things bent strut, bent lower control arm, knuckle, ball joint.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same situation happened to me with my '91 eclipse 10 yrs ago. Ended up with a bent lower control arm and a damaged axle seal. Later after, I start hearing humming noises at my right front wheel once the obvious damages have been repaired. The noise ended up to be a damaged right front wheel bearing also. The damage was about $1200 out my pocket.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lower control arm possibly
Old 12-08-2008, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did the same thing about a week ago, Hit a curb with my passenger front wheel. Pushed the wheel into the fender and costs $3000. Getting it back monday. If it helps anything.. Heres the list of parts to be replaced.
r fender liner
r frt susp wheel hub, bearing
r frt susp steering knuckle
r lwr frt susp ball joint
r lwr frt susp control arm assy
r frt susp stab bar link
r frt drive axle shaft assembly
r inr steering tie rod
r steering protect boot
r otr steering tie rod.
And my poor ol 5axis X5:F didnt make it either luckly i didnt do any body damage. im sure the RS4 body kit is expensive!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

exact same thing happend to me yesterday. Bent lower control arm, and the bearing in the Hub got knocked loose. Its going to cost 1100 at the dealer. Worst part about it was I made a left turn going less than 5, hit a patch of Ice (Under Snow) and it just slid. Im think I might take the train to and from work until spring. After getting the car repaired like that it makes me not even want to drive in the snow.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

A while back I "tapped" the curb doing 50 around the long turn near Hofstra, if anyone here is from LI... threw off the alignment, scratched my (stock) rims up pretty badly, and did something to my rear left brake... fixed the alignment but my brake is still making funny sounds... I have virtually no cash and I can still stop the car, figured I'd need to replace a rotor or something, I've been ignoring it because I can't afford to fix it, but these parts lists from much lighter impacts are making me think twice about that
Old 12-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ i know exactly where u r i work 2 block from that in east meadow. 90 merrick ave. same happened to me 4 months ago but i actually f'd the car up bad the alignment was f'd up steering wheel was all the way to the left and was goin straight any bump it felt like my front wheels were gonna fall off wtf f'd up bad. 10piece i know a shop in LI that does great work and he'll work wit u especially since i spent $7k on there when i got in my accident. if ur interested lmk and ill get the number great people they did my suspension control arms everything car drives better then when i first got it lol lmk bro BTW if u keep driving like that ur front tires r gonna go bald in less then a week trust me same thing happened to me i drove it for a couple days after the accident and my tires got eaten up bad bc of the bad alignment from the crash
Old 12-24-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

DANG!are you serious I hit a curb sliding on ice at about 15mph and one wheel is strait and the other is pointed to the right ..... I really hope this isnt gonna cost me $500+ and its not even my car .... well I guess whenever the alignment shop opens on Friday I'll drop the car off and see what they say
Old 12-25-2008, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You coudve bent something bad bro ^15mph is all it takes.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

shoulda posted pics... oh well... hopefully ur car gets fixed soon...
Old 12-26-2008, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same thing happen to me. i looked under the car, it was a bent shock. changed that out, car sorta drove straight, then went to go get alignmnt for 80 bucks and boom it drives staight now
Old 12-26-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

so yeah just got a call from the shop and its gonna be $580 with labor and parts and alignment ...... It was a BENT Tie Rod
Old 12-26-2008, 04:09 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i never drive when its icy out i love my car too much to put it thru all that...
Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

argh... my own story has just begun with this.

friday morning about 7am I was on the florida's turnpike heading to work in the rain. rear end completely hydroplaned as I was going thru a construction zone at about 45mph in the left lane - all of a sudden I found myself looking straight at the far right side of the road. now, I have been in situations like this before, so I applied a bit of power and countersteered. the tail whips around way faster than I expected it would and I now find myself looking at the left hand wall, the car gives it a kiss and then proceeds to completely spin out.

so far I know this:

my bumper cover - kaminari btw - was ripped off, but aside from losing a great deal of paint and a small horizontal crack along the lower lip (easily repaired) it should be completely able to be refitted to the car.

that's the least of it...

both headlight housings will need to be replaced due to all of their mounting tabs either being cracked or broken.

the crashbar and the piece of frame that it directly bolts to that also carries the radiator support frame got crunched in and up a little (about .5in) on the driver's side, which moved the radiator frame, hood latch and headlight on that side by the same amount.

Hood got really yanked by the bumper cover when it was torn away (thanks to my diversion panel)... while it isnt warped, the hinge arms are bent such that it is overlapping the driver side fender when closed. hopefully that will be an easy fix.

my biggest problem would seem to be the front suspension. not only is the alignment *slightly* off (I have to hold the wheel maybe 2 to 3 degrees to the right to go straight, although in every other respect the car is driving normally), what really worries me is that the front wheels seem to be at different offsets - both wheels seem to have shifted to the drivers side by about .25 to .5 inches. I am hoping this is being caused by the tweaking of the radiator frame, and not indicative of more serious frame damage.

hope I can get it in to a shop tomorrow for at least a cursory inspection... work and other stuff is seriously in the way this whole week
Old 05-18-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jfoldmei
A while back I "tapped" the curb doing 50 around the long turn near Hofstra, if anyone here is from LI... threw off the alignment, scratched my (stock) rims up pretty badly, and did something to my rear left brake... fixed the alignment but my brake is still making funny sounds... I have virtually no cash and I can still stop the car, figured I'd need to replace a rotor or something, I've been ignoring it because I can't afford to fix it, but these parts lists from much lighter impacts are making me think twice about that
lol if you're still gonna come back to this thread so many months later i actually had basically the same accident except my front end was messed up much worse. the rear left got slightly tapped and after that i had this annoying noise when braking coming from my rear left. it turns out that it was a bad wheel bearing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hit the curb REALLY badly last night (UPDATE)