Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

How do you deal with the sun's heat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

doesnt the front windshield have 100% UV protection?

anyhow, you can just tint the rest of the windows and risk getting a fix it ticket. but it will definately keep your car cooler.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

What are the chances of my dashboard and interior panels getting warped?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I just crack the moon roof and throw up the sun shades.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by allen03lv
I found its actually hotter to leave your sunroof cracked than not! The glass surface is simply to hot hence the cover for the sunroof..

GET TINT, use your windshield shade, and crack your windows. This is the next best thing to parking your car in the garage or under some sort of shade.
That makes no sense at all... Unless you either live in a humid climate or are leaving the shade open in conjunction with the cracked roof. The ideal scenario is to let in more ambient air and let the cooked air inside vent. With the roof cracked, there is no more additional light coming in (unless you are parked on some crazy hill). As long as it is light out, venting the roof will reduce interior temperature. After all, the roof is the hottest part (temperature) of this car!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Originally Posted by allen03lv
I found its actually hotter to leave your sunroof cracked than not! The glass surface is simply to hot hence the cover for the sunroof..

GET TINT, use your windshield shade, and crack your windows. This is the next best thing to parking your car in the garage or under some sort of shade.
That makes no sense at all... Unless you either live in a humid climate or are leaving the shade open in conjunction with the cracked roof. The ideal scenario is to let in more ambient air and let the cooked air inside vent. With the roof cracked, there is no more additional light coming in (unless you are parked on some crazy hill). As long as it is light out, venting the roof will reduce interior temperature. After all, the roof is the hottest part (temperature) of this car!
X2
Old 06-20-2007, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by RnB180
doesnt the front windshield have 100% UV protection?

anyhow, you can just tint the rest of the windows and risk getting a fix it ticket. but it will definately keep your car cooler.
UV is only one type of radiation. There are plenty of other wavelengths of light that generate heat.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm you should probably rig those solar fans up to exhaust at the sunroof and intake at the plug in the rear so you have cooler air coming in.

i strongly recommend tints you could always DIY it shouldnt be too hard. A lot of sunlight/heat could be from the glass roof so maybe thicker fabric for the sunshade with a reflective backing?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the car gets too hot, ill usually run the ac and roll down the window for a few minutes before I get into the car. the air inside the car is usually a lot hotter than the air outside so airing it out and running the ac cools the interior really fast.

and than when im driving, it seems the ac works better and gets cooler while driving.

works like a charm.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by abuzzl23pTC
hmmm you should probably rig those solar fans up to exhaust at the sunroof and intake at the plug in the rear so you have cooler air coming in.

i strongly recommend tints you could always DIY it shouldnt be too hard. A lot of sunlight/heat could be from the glass roof so maybe thicker fabric for the sunshade with a reflective backing?
I'm not trying to be a negative nanny here, but...

That may initially seem like a good idea, but the last thing you want to do is to insulate the roof, especially if it is below the glass. If you place the reflective material ON the glass, above or below, that would help, but on the shade it would be useless. What happens is that light enters the roof and gets trapped, causing it to bake like an oven. The reason that the shade has vents is for that very reason (you may have noticed that they are useless when the car is moving and the roof is cracked). If there was no venting, the roof would rise up to extreme temperatures, probably warping the glass itself. Insulation and reflective materials on the shade would only worsen this effect. Cracking the roof glass quickly alleviates this problem.

Blue bat has some color matched transparent vinyls... That could actually help a LOT if he made one big enough to fit the roof.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks man! I learned a lot today.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

simply leave your car on all day with the AC on.

the obvious solution.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tint the sunroofs and back windows and back windshield, throw a sun shade on the dashboard and you should be fine.

Worst case, leave your sunroof cracked.

I understand the need to keep your car cool cheaply and effectively, but you may be much better off just having the car professionally tinted and getting a cheap sunshade.

I had all windows but the front two done for just over $120.00. As 'expensive' as that may sound, it's probably better than coming back to your car and finding your battery dead from running computer fans in your A/C vents all day, or whatever else might happen with a home-made cooling system...
Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thank god I have a garage.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
you know, there's a reason why the tc's sun shade has vent's in it

Just pop the frickin roof. get a weather gadget for you pc, keep an eye on the sky, and be done with it.
x2 and don't buy the nifty device...money trap!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member

Aside from getting tints and cracking the windows I'd try and park it out of direct sunlight, that usually is what I try to do. You run the risk of it getting bombed by birds that hang out in foliage...my shifter **** gets ridiculously hot if I don't close the sunroof cover, it's bad.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jonathancasilli82
...my shifter **** gets ridiculously hot if I don't close the sunroof cover, it's bad.
The **** gets just as hot here in Cali when it's 110 degrees outside with the cover CLOSED. :D

Last year we had 17 straight days of 105+ degrees.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djct_watt
Honestly though, I like MB's approach. They have solar panels built onto the roofs on some of their cars, to power ventilation fans, and that comes STOCK. I wonder how much of a pain it would be do something similar, and just run the interior fan in reverse (to exhaust hot interior air to the outside).

Hmmmmm.
I think the old 626's had this feature as well. It's so simple, too... not expensive at all for manufacturers to implement.

Plus, it *might* reduce a bit of gas consumption as people wouldn't have to blast their ACs when they get in the car (even though I don't anyway... much more effective to just open the window and vents once you get in the car, and then once you get up to cruising speed, hit the AC button and enjoy your cool air )

I forgot why they got rid of it... but it was stupid reason. Manufacturers like to overlook really simple solutions, since complicated, expensive stuff is what "sells"
Old 06-20-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

tinted windows. got them the first week we got the tC. tint isn't expensive. you just have to shop around. Autobacs will do it for cheap! and it's close to Anaheim.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tint doesnt really do anything, the best thing you can do is put aluminum foil all over your roof like i do
Old 06-20-2007, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok guys, you have convinced me enough to get my windows tinted. I'll be getting quotes and hopefully before the temp reaches 100º++ here in CA.

I'll do some searching on what % and brand of tint is best but before I do that, any recommendations?

And being a CA resident as well, I think I'll take Hyghgynx's advice of getting 35% on the sides and maybe 5% for the hatch. Do you think the PoPo's will give me a hard time driving around town with that tint percentage?

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated! :D

Quick Reply: How do you deal with the sun's heat?