Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

How long does "dealer prep" usually take?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default How long does "dealer prep" usually take?

I ordered my tC in late june and was called by the salesperson 11 days ago saying that the vehicle would be at the dealership within two weeks. I drove by yesterday and saw that my tC was in the dealer's storage lot. It is a Azure Pearl automatic with side airbags and is the only one like it at the dealership (and it has a sold sign in the window.) I called the salesperson and left a message but have not heard back. How long does "dealer prep" and getting plates usually take?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

it may not be your car . . . or there may be something that still needs to be installed. just go in and talk to them and find out, don't get angry until something is actually wrong. ;)
Old 07-20-2005, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, definitely wait until you hear back first. And if you don't hear anything back right away, stop by and ask. It can take a day or two at the very least - depending on other sales volume, what options you need installed, and if they had to order any of those options.

Mine was ready to go the next day, but they didn't have to install anything. Well... they were supposed to install the security system but didn't have any in stock - so I just came back three days later and had it done in a couple hours.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My car arrive at Longo Scion on a Wednesday morning. I drove it off the lot 12:30 that afternoon!
Old 07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

No, I'm not angry at all. I was just curious as to how long it usually takes to get the car after it is delivered to the dealership. It will be my wife's car and the only things she wanted were an automatic transmission and side airbags and they are already factory installed. The dealership basically has to wash the tC, get the plates, and take my check.
I will order floor mats and mud guards online and install them and any thing else she decides she wants. I will also probably order some steel rims and snow tires from tirerack in September. I looked at the tC and saw that it came with the Yokohama S32a tires. From reading opinions about the Bridgestones I guess I an happy about that.
Looking forward to stealing it from my wife.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres a couple things they do. first is called PDI, pre delivery inspection (i believe is what it stands for). after it comes off the truck, they take all the plastic and junk off it, wash it, half-assley clean it, and check over about 50 things on a list (which you are supposed to get... at least at the honda dealership i worked at). at that point, if the car is not sold already, it sits in a lot waiting to be sold. once it IS sold, they take about half hour to an hour, depending on how busy it is, giving it a full wash and detail. the whole process from start to finish takes a few hours, and can be done in a day. if you install any parts to it (that you dont come back later to put on), it may take a little longer, but not too much, and still shouldnt take more than a day total.

my guess is that it may be another car, and not yours. OR, they did something dirty, which i've seen a number of times, and your car DID come in, someone else saw it, and they sold it to them. if they did that, they'll give you some PR line about how they messed up your order and have to order another one, etc etc.

anyway, if it is yours, you should be able to drive it home the day it arives. MAYBE the next day if they are really busy.

as for plates, it varies from state to state. here in CA, its about 30-90 days after purchasing the car you have to drive around with that temp sticker on your windshield.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks, I guess I wil try calling again just to get some up to date information. I have to admit to being a bit worried about some last minute funny business because the salesperson has not been able to give me a vin for the vehicle in our previous conversations - even when he knew it had been allocated to the dealership and was delivered to Port Newark.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I don't want to give the wrong impression by my posts. The salesperson has been helpful and personable so far and I don't anticipate any problems.....but I don't want to be caught off guard by any either.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I got through to my salesperson and he told me that although the tC arrived yesterday the Manufacturers Statement of Origin has not yet arrived and he can not sell me the car until it does. He expects it to arrived tomorrow or Friday. So far so good.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member

question for cfusionpm or any californians. i'm moving to cali from jersey and i ordered my car. my dealer there said it should be there by hte 15th of august when i get there and that he'll pick me up from the airport when i come in (sweet right?). i'm still on my parents insurance and i plan to switch when i get the new car, how do i do this? do i call the insurance company and get the new insurance when i get to the dealership? i don't have a VIN number yet and obviously neither does my dealer.

should i just switch now to the cali insurance? can i?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dealer prep is the biggest rip off,who in the hell would pay 300 to 400 to get there car wash,vaccum and a full tank of gas,that's what these bastards here in miami wanted me to pay,just see the manager about the issue or call scion and complain it works for me..
Old 07-21-2005, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uhh.. its free here. its a courtecy service for pretty much all new cars from all dealerships.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm not here in miami,most dealers here charge i had to see the manager when i bought my 2001 honda civic brand new,they hit me with a dealer prep for $300 didn't had to pay....
Old 07-22-2005, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, that sucks.

anyway, about the insurance, you get a 30-day grace period in which you *should* be covered by your current insurance for any new car. if not, just call your insurance company, and everything can be done over the phone.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

We picked up the tC Yesterday afternoon (7/22) less than four weeks after we signed the purchase agreement. That was better than the six to eight weeks that were estimated. All in all buying the tC was a good experience. My wife loves it.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Harro10
We picked up the tC Yesterday afternoon (7/22) less than four weeks after we signed the purchase agreement. That was better than the six to eight weeks that were estimated. All in all buying the tC was a good experience. My wife loves it.
congrats!!