2005-2010 [ANT10]

I hate ABS

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I hate ABS

I really do. Is it standard on all rides nowadays? Or could I have got a tC WITHOUT ABS??? It really doesn't help......just scares me more when that damn thing engages and that awful grinding sound rears its ugly head from beneath my rather quiet car......

Anybody else?....... or am I just an idiot? .........you never know until you ask.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

whenever you hear that grr grr grr grr, imagine replacing it with screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeccccccchh, WHUMP!

or in the rain zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, WHUMP!

I love mine, I just "stomp and steer" let the computer figure out the rest!!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

God forbid they design a breaking system that has helped save lifes.

Most cars come standard with ABS.
If you hate ABS so much break sooner and give more space between you and the car in front of you and you won't have a problem anymore.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it would save your life idiot, stop whinning.... some people is too picky, they should not be given the privilege of driving cars. Go get a bicycle and remember to stay always in the sidewalk.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno, i prefer the breaking in my crx. the human body is, if not as sensitive, nearly as sensitve as computer sensors. there is alot to be said for feathering and pumping, rather than your breaks going crazy. But in my experience, ABS pretty much stays out of the way, except for suicidal Deer
Old 01-14-2005, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

WTF are you doing that you are familiar with the sound of abs so much that it annoys you? God there are so many stupid people on this forum it amazes me.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

ABS can loosen the grip of one individual brake caliper or drum the instant it begins to lock up keeping the braking system operating at 100% capacity for maximum deceleration regardless of road conditions, direction or speed. No human can do that.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scikotics
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by lavabox
ABS can loosen the grip of one individual brake caliper or drum the instant it begins to lock up keeping the braking system operating at 100% capacity for maximum deceleration regardless of road conditions, direction or speed. No human can do that.
what he said
Old 01-14-2005, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by sublime
WTF are you doing that you are familiar with the sound of abs so much that it annoys you? God there are so many stupid people on this forum it amazes me.
READ...Location Maine, as in cold as hell, as in snow, as in ice, as in uptight all the time trying to avoid other idiots who don't know how to drive in the poor conditions :D
Old 01-14-2005, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Under hard braking on slippery surfaces, if any one of your wheels locks-up (stops spinning) then we say that that wheel slips. The maximum possible braking force is attained while the wheels are turning. What the ABS does is that it reduces the hydraulic pressure on the locked wheel so that way it continues turning and reducing the speed of the car. The pressure adjustment is done independently for each one of the four wheels. ABS stands for Anti-Lock Braking System
Old 01-14-2005, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, no ABS noise annoyance is worth more than your own life. ;)
Old 01-14-2005, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

pull the fuse if you hate it
Old 01-14-2005, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member

exactly, go under the hood and pull the fuse....your "abs" light will come on but no more abs. Of course your probably too inexperienced to know the advantages of abs...
Old 01-14-2005, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

C'Mon folks, Let's not disrespect people over an opinion.

ABS only kicks in under extreme conditions. If you're setting it off regularly, it's more likely an issue of how you're driving, not the ABS, which sounds like it is saving you. I can count on one hand the times I've had ABS emgage between two cars over the last couple of years and I don't exactly drive slow.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:44 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Road conditions and one's driving habits dictate how the ABS will react. I can set-off the ABS alarm everytime if I won't, cuz I know how to get it to slip easily enuff on any road surface.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member

Wow, there are some harsh replies here. Back in the day, ABS really sucked. It was safer, but barely, and the performance of the vehicle suffers, not only because of the weight of the system but minor bumps in the road would cause it to reduce braking pressure when it didn't need to. ABS on my '91 MR2 is not an option anyone wants. I don't know how much they've improved the system in the past 14 years. I haven't gone racing with my Scion and don't really plan to so as far as I'm concerned it's nice to have. But if someone says they don't like it, let them have their opinion. The system does have it's disadvantages and just because it reduces your chances of having an accident by a very small % does not mean it's the greatest safety system ever made. I'd like to see the statistics that show how many lives were saved simply by the presence of ABS. I imagine it's not as many as most of you all are making it out to be.

Somewhat unrelated, but while I don't mind the ABS, I'd get rid of my power steering in a second if there was a manual rack available for this car.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my old (to be traded in soon I hope) 89 Honda Prelude has serious power steering fluid leak. I don't feel like fixing it so I am driving without power steering now. Don't think you can imagine how much I want it working.... I have to park in tide spots often and it is absoutly a pain to park a car without power steering.

Not to mention the traffic in LA is so horrible that I have to do a lot of low speed lane change on the freeway, another pain in the butt.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

saying that you hate ABS is pure idiocracy..... thats like saying you hate seatbelts because they are black or uncomfterable. These devices save lives people, and while you may not have experienced it first hand, and be thankful you havent, it is there to protect you not annoy you.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, the only reasons someone wouldn't want ABS is a price reason...and that it's kinda scary...and that some people, only on race tracks, need to lock the tires...ok, that doesn't apply to us, it's standard option, no one has to rally race their tc here...so what if it's a little scary...i'd rather hear a grinding sound from under the hood and come to a safe stop then to hear no sound except the one of me smashing into someones back end. i'd kill to have abs in my corolla. it's meant to save your life, would you drive a car that doesn't come with airbags and seatbelts? abs is awesome in my opinion.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ABS isa hell of a lot less scary then running your car off the road or driving up someones ___. If I had abs in my civic, I would still be driving my civic and not a tC.

Quick Reply: I hate ABS