Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

I have a plan to buy tC.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member

Default I have a plan to buy tC.

I'm an international student from Korea.

I'd like to buy tC.

I was wondering if I can get some discount at the dealers.

Is there any discount?
Old 02-16-2005, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member

well i dont think so if you do your a lucky one..... most dealers arent the easiest to deal with as it is..... but scions are sold at "pure" cost meaning that talking down is pretty much impossible it is what it is.... maybe someone had a better expierence but for the dealers ive talked to your pretty much stuck with the price its at........... anyone else have any luck? or correct me on anything...
Old 02-21-2005, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member

that's what the dealership told me as well, the dealer said they don't make much on the car, but i know they are making a killing on the upgrades. you can get almost everything for half-price or less whole sale on the internet.

so is it possible to talk dealers down on upgrades? can i have them throw in the mats for $60 instead of $140? what about an extra remote entry key?

what leverage can the buyer use when going to pick up a tC?

(for the record, i planned on getting the illumination kit from the dealer (don't want to install it myself), and order the floormats and possibly mudguards wholesale.)
Old 02-21-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hohlecow
that's what the dealership told me as well, the dealer said they don't make much on the car, but i know they are making a killing on the upgrades. you can get almost everything for half-price or less whole sale on the internet.
Yes, we do make nore money on accessories, but not a "killing" as you state. Most accessories have a 5-10% markup from our cost.

so is it possible to talk dealers down on upgrades? can i have them throw in the mats for $60 instead of $140? what about an extra remote entry key?
Pure Pricing applies to accessories as well. So the answer is no.

what leverage can the buyer use when going to pick up a tC?
I don't know what you mean by this statement. But with Scion the only "leverage" the customer has is their checkbook. No matter who is buying the car, you will pay the posted price for the car and accessories, you will wait if the car is not at the dealer, and you will most likely not get anything for free.

Too many people have a gial misconception about buying cars... especially Scions. With all other new cars people want the best possible price they can on a car. However, too many people expect the dealer to take a loss on the car just so THEY can get a better price. A dealership is a business, it IS entitled to make a profit. If it doesn't make a profit then why would someone want to own a dealership.

As for Pure Pricing. Every Scion dealer gets what is called the Scion Covonant. It is basically a book of rules we HAVE to follow if we want to sell Scions. If we break the rules (i.e. allowing a customer to negotiate a better price) we get penalized. First we will be allocated less inventory, then they will take away inventory, then they will take away our right to sell Scions. The average dealer spends about $1 million to just be able to sell Scions, no nobody is going to risk losing that much money.

If you are stuck wanting something for free or wanting a better price on the car then you might as well look to a different brand because there is someone standing right behind you who would be more than willing to pay full price for that tC you want.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The biggest reason that accessories are more expensive when you buy them from the dealership is that you are paying a professional tech to install them. The Scion sales dept. is charged by the service dept. to install the accessories (the 2 departments, while in the same building, are financially separate) That does not make the sales dept. any more $$$, it just makes the service dept. $$$. Basically you are paying a few dollars more to have the parts installed correctly and more importantly, to have the installed parts warrantied.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The highest profit margin accessory for the tC is 18" alloy wheels where we make a whopping $131. The lowest is for the body kit where we have to strike a deal with our service department so it doesn't actually cost us more than retail to get it in. The fog lights make us $30. We make roughly $800 on the sale of the car by itself and there is no holdback or hidden money like there is on most other new cars.

The idea of the best "deal" is not how much off the list price you get, nor what the dealer makes. The best deal on any car means you got it for less than whatever the value is to you. If the floormats have no value to you, it wouldn't be a good deal even if you paid $10 for them. If you buy a car that is worth $20K to you but spend $16500, you got a great deal.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you graduated or something u can get a discount i believe its $400... its on the scion website in black and white.. good luck!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pure pricing=Little to no discount.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Blah blah blah

Have you noticed that all we do is complain?

Buyers wanted a straight-forward approach to buying a car. They wanted a reasonable price for a good car, and less time to finish all the paperwork. We finally get it and now everybody wants to go back to negotiating.

True, some of the Scion salespeople need to be trained on how to approach the "pure price" concept and the customer... but I am happy. I got the car for $16,515. My current Nissan Sentra had less that ample features and it cost me $17,900 after my father's retiree discount. I've been around Nissan dealerships since I was in diapers and this has been the best/cheapeest car sale transaction forever for me.

As someone said above, you know you got a good deal when the car has more value to you than what you paid. The tC definitely fits that category. I now have extra money to actually add mods to my car.

As for the "dealer fee" in addition to the car and delivery fee... yeah, its stupid. But these dealers need to make profit to be a successful business. I'm ok with paying it, as long as it is not way overpriced.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ShadyEye16
The biggest reason that accessories are more expensive when you buy them from the dealership is that you are paying a professional tech to install them. The Scion sales dept. is charged by the service dept. to install the accessories (the 2 departments, while in the same building, are financially separate) That does not make the sales dept. any more $$$, it just makes the service dept. $$$. Basically you are paying a few dollars more to have the parts installed correctly and more importantly, to have the installed parts warrantied.
when i asked my dealer about the AEM CAI they wanted something like 450 bucks for it. can you explain the 200 dollar labor charge for about 15 min worth of work?
Old 03-16-2005, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a hard time thinking that the dealers are only making 5-10% on parts and most of the profit is in labor. yes, labor is very profiable but what if I install it myself?

If I went to my local dealers looking for a TRD exhaust for instance, they'd want $525, yet I know of a few dealers across the country who sell online that sell the same thing for around $325.

Dealers want around $450 for the TRD shocks/springs (uninstalled) yet I found them for $309. I shouldn't have to go to a dealer 1000 miles away to get the same part cheaper than I could get locally. All they have to do is order it and call me when it arrives...they don't even have to keep it in stock.

Anyways, I'm hijacking this guy's thread...
Old 03-16-2005, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i might be selling my tc if youre interested. it only has 800 miles, so its pretty much brand new.

i have to think about it though, but if youre interested then let me know.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

If scion isn't lying about the "pure price" thats a good concept they got going. I bought my car in 45 mins. :D
Old 03-17-2005, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShadyEye16
Basically you are paying a few dollars more to have the parts installed correctly and more importantly, to have the installed parts warrantied.
So if i were to buy the parts somewhere else and have the dealer install them would it still be under warranty? Or even if u buy the parts somewhere else and have them installed by someone else how would they know ? Its the same exact part!