Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

If anyone has problems with their power windows...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default If anyone has problems with their power windows...

Take your car straight to the dealer! (If that's not obvious enough already)

I was talking to my dad, who works in the service center for Cherry Hill Toyota, and they've had three tCs that have come in (one with only 5 miles) for the windows not working. Turned out to be a bad switch. He was telling me that Scion knows about it and they're telling them to just replace the switch, which they thought was odd. Must have been a batch of bad switches at the factory.

Just giving everyone a heads up so I don't see any "OMFG!!11 TC SUX0RS NO WINDOWS!!!11one"
Old 09-11-2004, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh don't worry, you'll see those posts.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Banned
SL Member

who rolls the windows down anyways?
Old 09-11-2004, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
who rolls the windows down anyways?
Yeah, who uses moon roofs? Who uses power locks? Who uses the rear reclining seats?

You're such a troll.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I don't have a problem with my switches but I discovered another problem that probably effects all Tc's. :? I'm sure you have all noticed that with the windows open and the sun roof open there is a lot of turbulance in the car. Try using the auto roll up on the windows while traveling about 80 with the sun roof open. There seems to be so much turbulance that the window shakes and hits the frame of the door which then causes the window to automatically roll down. I have repeated this problem numerous times and even at lower speeds around 55, but it can easily be duplicated at 80+. Give it a whirl guys. I'd like to see if anyone else has this problem. Sad but I'm sure you will.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScottTC
I don't have a problem with my switches but I discovered another problem that probably effects all Tc's. :? I'm sure you have all noticed that with the windows open and the sun roof open there is a lot of turbulance in the car. Try using the auto roll up on the windows while traveling about 80 with the sun roof open. There seems to be so much turbulance that the window shakes and hits the frame of the door which then causes the window to automatically roll down. I have repeated this problem numerous times and even at lower speeds around 55, but it can easily be duplicated at 80+. Give it a whirl guys. I'd like to see if anyone else has this problem. Sad but I'm sure you will.
I only open my moonroof when im going bellow 55. I think its hard on the moonroof as well when your going that fast.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah that happened to me too. It was real windy and as I was closing the window it hit the metal part of the door and then rolled down again. I mean that makes sense, at least the pinch protection works. I don't think it's a good idea opening the windows on the freeway...that's why the A/C is there. Oh and if you want to open the sunroof on the freeway, don't open it all the way do it half way, it will reduce the turbulance.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a little tradeoff for antipinch protection you get - it simply has to happen on auto up.
Imagine your passanger having out of the window (possibily holding roof?) when you press auto up...

They could set it up so it reacts to more force, but Toyota's are already set it up to react to more force than some other cars and this might be why.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ummm... yea. i got a problem with me powered windows...

its suppose to have pinch protection in it but it still hurts... i mean it still literally pinches me.... it pinched me once then roll back down...
Old 09-12-2004, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

I think I may have a bad switch. Periodically, I cannot roll down the passenger side window from the driver side switch. Guess I will have the dealer replace it next time I am in.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

pinch protection. haha.

Embarrassing story: Someone was in my BMW with me once and was talking about how some new car had pince protection windows. I was like "Oh man, they all have that now, even this thing has it- watch" and like a total dumbass I proceded to roll the window up (don't think I used the auto up feature) and almost sever my finger off. Hurt like hell. We were both laughing pretty good. Guess it doesn't have it unless on auto up.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah even toyota has defective stuff the first year.. all manufacturers do! it's just that toyota has less than other makers.. and it's first year.. so hey at least it wasn't something major like an fuel tank (ford's f-150s) or wheel hubs (ford's freestars) coming loose! sheesh..

i agree it shouldn't be bad, but guess what? welcome to an imperfect world.. and that's why we have a warranty lol..
Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this one's easy...
the windows are calibrated so that when they sense a certain amount of resistance they roll back down about half way. my guess is that at 85+mph the wind resistance fools the window into thinking something is in the way of it's closing. I'd read about this on another post . I also read in my owner's manual how to recalibrate the windows.
often times my commute home from/to work has me on the highway almost alone at midnight or 4 am, so I can play around with speed. the other night I was doing 85 or so with the moonroof open all the way and deciced to check out this window thing. sure enough when it reached the top it rolled back down about halfway. both windows did this. I recalibrated them at speed and since then the auto rollup works perfectly at 0 mph or at 90 mph.
to recalibrate them, simply roll the window(s) down half way. then, one at a time, roll the window up and hold the button in the up position for about 8-10 seconds after the window has rolled up. do this for each window. be sure to do it at speed, though, so it calibrates with the added wind resistance. I did mine with almost no traffic on a striaght stretch of highway, just to avoind distractions and to be safe. the official instructions are in your manual somewhere in the windows section.
I would assume that the pinch protections is now somewhat compromised, it'll probably pinch harder now, but you've got to be a little "special" to pinch your own fingers in the window. anyone else should keep their dirty paws off my car.
hope this helps everyone
Old 09-12-2004, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup its been done to me a few times....oh and other only problem is my brakes locked up once too,.....
Old 09-14-2004, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member

Default trunk won't close!!!

this morning i drove my car the light for one of the doors was on, but all my door were close it so then i went to check the trunk so i stopped at a parking lot to close my trunk it would not lock or close to keep it down...help!!! does this cover in the warranty?
Old 09-14-2004, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's actually the pressure inside the car...the higher speeds push the windows inboard. This has happened to me with the moon both open and closed, but if you put the driver side up first with the passenger down, it will go up..then put the passenger up and it works...for me atleast. This also used to happen with my old riviera and I would put the pass side down, raise the drivers side and then the pass side and it worked fine...
Old 09-14-2004, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: trunk won't close!!!

Originally Posted by jubster781
this morning i drove my car the light for one of the doors was on, but all my door were close it so then i went to check the trunk so i stopped at a parking lot to close my trunk it would not lock or close to keep it down...help!!! does this cover in the warranty?
I had that happen once. I think I just didn't close the trunk hard enough. I just opened it and closed it again and it was fine. Yes, it is covered under warranty.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member

Can't believe there's so many problems with the tC... When I get one, I hope it doesn't have the problems like most of you guys.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionTech
Can't believe there's so many problems with the tC... When I get one, I hope it doesn't have the problems like most of you guys.
Yeah, all these problems. Like: people not knowing how the windows work, people not knowing how to drive, people not knowing how to shift, people not knowing what kind of sounds cars make, etc. Yep, thay're all lemons, all right. You should steer clear of the tC (and most of the drivers, apparently.)

Old 09-15-2004, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionTech
this is not a problem. it's a user adjustment issue. the windows simply need to be adjusted. end of story.