2005-2010 [ANT10]

im an idiot.... help me please

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default im an idiot.... help me please

ok, so i just picked up my gorgeous new 5 speed FM tC and i cant figure out this damn clutch for the life of me.... i drive my freinds GTI around all the time and the clutch is so forgiving. anyone that could run be down a crash course id be so happy to finally be able to drive this thing like its meant to be driven.... sorry auto owners, manual is what all cars should be... please help. thanks

~Matt first post
Old 12-03-2004, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

............... what are you asking? how to drive stick (i learned a LOT on my tC) or how to drive fast in the tC? I'm confused....
Old 12-03-2004, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can only say once you learn stick and you get a new car, all you can do is try to get used to the new clutch. New clutches are really catchy most times.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member

yea new clutches bite hard at first but you'll eventually get used to it.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

a few tips, hit the throttle to about 2000 to 2500rpms before you let out the clutch from a stop and that'll avoid stalling it, the grab point I noticed is really late in the pedal, the vw jetta I drove's grab point was just before half-clutch, and my tC's grab point is about an inch or two from full off, and it's really, really short (grabby)- also, on 1st and second shifting let out the clutch SLOOOOOW at the grab point if you don't want your tC bucking and jerking until you get used to it

I've had my tC for just over 1000 miles problem free and it was my first manual, but i learned on my dad's jetta GT a few years ago, and I love it now, it's second nature. I stalled it 2 days ago though, scared the hell out of me, I for some reason didn't give it much gas at all (had my radio really loud) and I was stopped waiting to make a left-hand turn at night and BAM I'm like "sh*t sh*t sh*t!!!!" and this jerk in a truck swerved around me slamming on his horn and I started it and got the heck outta there.... so just be careful and don't get too over-confident

edit: I usually shift at 3k rpms, 3.5 for 1st and second, and I try to keep it at about 3krpms all the time unless I'm going over 40mph, I usually drive in 4th doing 50 all the time on the huge roads around here and it sits at about 2750-3k and it feels natural there - still bothered by the highway speeds around here where everyone does 80mph and I'm coasting at almost 4k.... I so want a 6th gear
Old 12-03-2004, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear ya on the clutch man. The tC clutch definately makes you feel like you can't drive for sh*t. I struggled and got krayzie frusterated for the longest time. Some days it would drive perfect, other days it would feel like i was riding a mechanical bull (or one of them krayzie broads from the bronx (: ). Anywayz, i learned that in first and second it would be a little smoother if i shifted at 3.5 to 4 rather than 3. I did this for a while and either my clutch has started to wear in or i just got used to it but now i have no problem with jerkiness. Try this, and u might even want to do a search for old posts about this for more info cuz i know i've seen a few.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It threw me at first, too, and I've been driving stick for quite a while.

FWIW, I don't think it's the clutch that did it, but the fly-by-wire throttle. Also, there isn't much noise or vibration to give you feedback on what the engine's doing (a good thing once you're used to it).
Old 12-03-2004, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah, that's why I'm glad I got the TRD Exhaust, I didn't really want it with the car, I just put it down on the accessories when I pre-ordered it and was ready to wait my 8-12 weeks the dealer quoted me on and I was going to look around for a better exhaust during that time, and he calls me 3 weeks later and tells me it's in with all pre-ordered options installed at port, so I said what the hey, I could always sell it if I really, really wanted a different one

it sounds great from inside the cabin and is noticeable, outside it's a little louder and higher pitch than I wanted, but after hearing all these insanely loud ricer-wannabe generic geo metro's fart can exhausts I'm pretty appreciative
Old 12-03-2004, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

wow I am so surprised about all your comment!!
I felt like the tC was so easy to drive! Not once I stall it and when shifting i find it to be so smooth!! It is so easy compare to my MR2 Supercharge! nothing to compare here!!!

by the way, launching at 2500-3000 rpm all the time is not good for the clutch! try to learn to feel the engaging point before giving gas! My clutch usualy grip at about 1000rpm, and never over 1500 when lauching from first speed!

Later all
wawa 86 MR2 MKI SC and 05 Scion tC
Old 12-04-2004, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Pete
It threw me at first, too, and I've been driving stick for quite a while.

FWIW, I don't think it's the clutch that did it, but the fly-by-wire throttle. Also, there isn't much noise or vibration to give you feedback on what the engine's doing (a good thing once you're used to it).
i feel you on this.. the throttle is weird.. it seems kinda 'late' on response time
Old 12-04-2004, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member

I drove my tC for the first time yesterday and it doesn't seem any different than any other stick. You might not be used to a brand new clutch. Just ease out on the clutch when shifting and it should smooth out for ya. Practice makes perfect =)
Old 12-04-2004, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, and i thought the clutch on the tC was so easy and forgiving. weird....sorry man, the only thing i can tell you is that you have to get used to it.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member

LOL...

I felt so stupid when I left the dealers lot in my TC. Considering my prior two vehicles had a manual trans, I figured it would be no problem. Lets just say when I let off the clutch pedal and the tires screeched to a cloud of smoke I was EXTREMELY embarassed.

.....and I'm sure they ripped my warranty papers up as soon as I was out of sight....lol
Old 12-05-2004, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LimitedE
LOL...

I felt so stupid when I left the dealers lot in my TC. Considering my prior two vehicles had a manual trans, I figured it would be no problem. Lets just say when I let off the clutch pedal and the tires screeched to a cloud of smoke I was EXTREMELY embarassed.

.....and I'm sure they ripped my warranty papers up as soon as I was out of sight....lol
LMFAO...that last line just killed me..I needed that..thanks..