Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Importing a tC to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Importing a tC to Canada

So I am dieing to buy a tC... And am trying to import one into Canada. I have seen a few xB's on the road here which have bene imported so it must be possible. Problem is RIV is saying it is inadmissable according to the manufacturer and I shoudl contact the original manufacturer. Here is the email they send me...

"To import a vehicle from the U.S. the vehicle must be cited as admissible on Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States. Please refer to this list at http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...sh/Imind_e.htm.

Having said that, we are in the process of revising this list. We have received the necessary information from Toyota to certify that the 2005 Toyota Scion Tc that you wish to import is INADMISSIBLE for importation through the RIV program. Therefore, this vehicle cannot be imported into Canada.

The Act allows vehicles originally manufactured in compliance with US laws for the United States market to be imported into Canada provided they comply at the time of main assembly with mandatory Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) such as CMVSS 210 (seat belt anchorage). The legislation makes it possible for these types of vehicles to be modified in certain areas (bumpers, child restraint tether anchorages, daytime running lights, etc.).

This list is constructed by specifications supplied by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to certify compliance. Therefore, for more information on its inadmissibility, please contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer directly."

Does anyone know who I can talk to at Scion regarding this? I really want to pick one up and this is driving me CRAZY!

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guess that's just one more reason for not moving to Canada.

Question; what's stopping you from driving the half hour or so over the boarder and heading to the first scion dealership in washington and driving back with a tc? Does Canada out right refuse restration of the car, insurance company (also government issued) not willing to insure it?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

next time you see one of those xb's around, just ask them how they did it.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe you can find a friend in Washington and get him to buy a tC under his name? Keep the Washington plates on, drive around like you do normally, and just in general pretend you're a yank?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member

Unfortunately you cannot just bring a car to Canada and expect to insure ans register it. You need to import the vehicle, pay the import taxes, brokerage fees, prove the vehicle is upto Canada's saftey standards ect. Then you can register it and insure it...

As for driving a vehicle registered and insured in the US, and holding a Canadian drivers license, there is no insurance coverage and you can actually go to jail.

So, I am trying to find out who at Scion do I need to contact to find out which parts of the vehicle to not meet the Canadian saftey standards so I can see if it is plausable to have them altered or upgraded.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's always Scion.com... http://scion.com/contact/contact_main.html

if their customer service line doesn't work in canada, you could try the chat to at least find out who the right person to contact is.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the land o canadia = tim horton land aka butt ___ tasting cofee. off topic but that is one of the main things i remember about canada. they were everywhere. 3 at on intersection.